Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on my American girlfriend coming to join me (a British citizen) me in the uk. We have been together for 2.5 years, during this time we spent a year travelling together and have since then been visiting each other regularly and for extended periods on tourist visas. On her latest visit she was denied entry when she told the immigration officer we intended to apply for a visa for her to stay in the uk (too honest it would seem).

I have a few questions that I would be very grateful if someone could offer there expertise on.

1. Are we unable to apply for an unmarried visa, as time spent travelling / on a tourist visa will not be taken into account?

2. If we apply for a fiancée visa, does anyone have any ideas on the processing time ( I have looked at NYC Facebook page and it would appear they are swamped with applications)? Also, During the 6 months we have to marry can she travel freely between the uk and us?

3. Is there a country in Europe we could marry whilst on a short (maybe 1 week holiday) and then apply for a spouse visa. I understand she would need to return home and apply - any ideas how this may affect processing time?

4. Assuming we are applying for either a spouse or fiancée visa will she need to vist NYC for bio-metrics and an interview? If alternatives are available where can I find a list of locations? Would you advice applying our selfs or employing a company to aid in our application?

5. Is she now almost certain to be denied a tourist visa if attempting t re-enter for a holiday (again about 1week)?

Thanks very much in advance for your time, and I've left anything out please let me know?

·
Registered
39,125 Posts
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on my American girlfriend coming to join me (a British citizen) me in the uk. We have been together for 2.5 years, during this time we spent a year travelling together and have since then been visiting each other regularly and for extended periods on tourist visas. On her latest visit she was denied entry when she told the immigration officer we intended to apply for a visa for her to stay in the uk (too honest it would seem).

I have a few questions that I would be very grateful if someone could offer there expertise on.

1. Are we unable to apply for an unmarried visa, as time spent travelling / on a tourist visa will not be taken into account?
Correct.

2. If we apply for a fiancée visa, does anyone have any ideas on the processing time ( I have looked at NYC Facebook page and it would appear they are swamped with applications)? Also, During the 6 months we have to marry can she travel freely between the uk and us?
With $300 priority, around 3 weeks. She can travel as the visa is multi-entry, but be careful if it's after her marriage, as she is then no longer a fiancée. Normally you apply to switch to a partner (wife) leave to remain after marriage by same-day premium service, and then you can travel freely.

3. Is there a country in Europe we could marry whilst on a short (maybe 1 week holiday) and then apply for a spouse visa. I understand she would need to return home and apply - any ideas how this may affect processing time?
There are a few, but this will add to the timescale as she will then have to return home to apply for her visa. Gibraltar is probably the easiest. Most other countries have residence requirement, or make it very difficult for foreigners. Easiest is to marry in US, as you don't need a special visa.

4. Assuming we are applying for either a spouse or fiancée visa will she need to vist NYC for bio-metrics and an interview? If alternatives are available where can I find a list of locations? Would you advice applying our selfs or employing a company to aid in our application?
You first apply online, pay online, arrange biometric appointment at application support centers nearby (list on http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/countries/usa/applying/vac/?langname=UK), and after giving your biometrics, you ship supporting documents to NYC. Interviews are rare, though email queries are common. You should be able to apply yourself unless you have visa offence from the past or your case is complicated.

5. Is she now almost certain to be denied a tourist visa if attempting t re-enter for a holiday (again about 1week)?
Quite likely, if they've put a code on her electronic entry.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your clear answer Joppa.
We have some talking to do.
I'm sure we will be in touch again when we have decided which route to take.

Again, Thanks very much.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.