Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a US citizen living in the UK under a work permit scheme. I am in my third year of a 5 year permit, and still work with the company that attained my permit.

I was married in 2010; my wife is a French citizen. We have two daughters together and are all living here in the UK.

I want to establish my right to reside in the UK, and/or establish my right to live/work in the EU. I am in the process of starting my own company, and my current work permit does not allow me to work for any company other than the one that got me the permit.

At the moment I intend to continue working for my current employer while I build. I have consulting work lined up (both here and back in the States) that does not fit my current company’s business model. I also want the opportunity to shop my skill set around to other companies that might have more attractive remuneration options.

I know that marriage to an EU citizen opens up some options, but I’m not sure what path to take: do I wait the 5 years on my current permit and then apply for indefinite leave to remain? Not my favourite option as I would like to move forward with my other business. Do I apply for a residence permit based on my marriage? If so, does my wife need to formalize her residence in the UK? Currently we have not registered her formally, as the UKBA site says this is not a requirement for her.

Any advice, including reference to third parties that might be able to provide assistance, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

JP

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.