Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a thread on this in 2011, now closed.

Unfortunately USPS still does not have an international redirection service.

I have to rely on an ex neighbour. Not ideal.

Any updates on solutions?

·
Administrator
50,409 Posts
There are paid redirection services - including those that are affiliated with those package forwarding services - where they will discard junk mail, and then scan and e-mail you a copy of whatever mail you receive so that you can decide what you need or want physically forwarded. In googling "US mail redirection service" I see that many of the mail services are bundled in with package services, and so can be rather pricey.

Depending on what you expect to have to redirect, the easiest route seems to be to change your address to your foreign one on all accounts where you expect to receive postal mail.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are paid redirection services - including those that are affiliated with those package forwarding services - where they will discard junk mail, and then scan and e-mail you a copy of whatever mail you receive so that you can decide what you need or want physically forwarded. In googling "US mail redirection service" I see that many of the mail services are bundled in with package services, and so can be rather pricey.

Depending on what you expect to have to redirect, the easiest route seems to be to change your address to your foreign one on all accounts where you expect to receive postal mail.
Cheers,
Bev
Thanks Bev, I’ll look into that.

My bank will not mail overseas but most is electronic anyway.
Same with the Taxpayers Advocate Service and I have yet to receive anything in France from the IRS.
The real painful one is Health Ins. Marketplace. The amount of mail I receive from them is huge and they will not accept an overseas address.

·
Administrator
50,409 Posts
Thanks Bev, I’ll look into that.

My bank will not mail overseas but most is electronic anyway.
I just went around with my US - though about their bill pay service, not the regular bank services. Ultimately, they changed my record to show my "address" (for purposes of the bill pay service) as the bank's street address, but my French address as my "mailing address." (Not that they have mailed me anything in a long, long time.)
Same with the Taxpayers Advocate Service and I have yet to receive anything in France from the IRS.
Not sure which office of the Taxpayers Advocate you're dealing with, but I note that for "international" taxpayers, they tell you to contact their office in Puerto Rico. But no, it's rare you would ever get anything from the IRS overseas - until and unless they decide there is something "fishy" about your tax returns. And for anything like that, I wouldn't accept anything OTHER than a postal mail contact. E-mails and phone calls from the IRS are generally scams of one sort or another.
The real painful one is Health Ins. Marketplace. The amount of mail I receive from them is huge and they will not accept an overseas address.
If you're resident overseas, should you be dealing with the Health Insurance Marketplace at all? Once you're outside the US I thought you would be considered exempt from those requirements.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you're resident overseas, should you be dealing with the Health Insurance Marketplace at all? Once you're outside the US I thought you would be considered exempt from those requirements.
Cheers,
Bev
Thanks for the information Bev.

H.I.M. has been a nightmare. I am still receiving corrections on my 2015 account.
I finally cancelled my enrolment at the beginning of this year but from experience, I expect a boat load of mail to come although I only need one correct 1095-A for my 1040 return of 2017.

·
Administrator
50,409 Posts
Do you perhaps have a friend or relative in the States whose address you can use. I have to have a US address for my amateur radio license back there - but it can be a c/o address so I have enlisted the help of a friend. She has my permission to open anything that arrives in her mailbox addressed to me c/o her and to pitch anything obviously "junk mail." She notifies me of anything that looks important - and can either scan and send me via e-mail or just stick anything important in an envelope and mail it on to me here.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you perhaps have a friend or relative in the States whose address you can use. I have to have a US address for my amateur radio license back there - but it can be a c/o address so I have enlisted the help of a friend. She has my permission to open anything that arrives in her mailbox addressed to me c/o her and to pitch anything obviously "junk mail." She notifies me of anything that looks important - and can either scan and send me via e-mail or just stick anything important in an envelope and mail it on to me here.
Cheers,
Bev
Thanks Bev, you have yours well sorted.

I have someone but it’s not working too well.

What is helpful is USPS Informed Delivery, just a pity they don’t include redirection.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Cheers,
Bev
I use a mail forwarding service out of Florida and am happy with that solution. I don't find their rates to be unreasonable, but that's me. I've also found that, though they only scan documents in black & white, I can usually deposit B&W checks to my US accounts with no problem. (Some checks have color security features, but the computers don't care and the humans aren't looking unless the deposit is challenged by someone.) I very seldom need to have physical documents mailed to me in France (that costs a bit more).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts