Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm an intellectual property attorney here in the US for a major corporation and would like to move out of the country for a year or two. Been in practice for 10+ years. Just wanted the experience of living in a different culture. If I do move, it will be with my husband and my 13 year old son.

I guess my question is which one will give me a better chance of finding a job. I know I need to take a bar test of some sort, so would like to focus on one country rather than multiple ones. Any lawyer who has done this or can provide any thoughts?

My wish is to live in Scotland, but it seems it is not as easy to pass the "bar" there for me to practice, hence, will settle for UK first. HK is fine as well.

Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
50,375 Posts
Are you looking to practice as an independent attorney? Or are you looking for a job working for a major corporation? I think the latter would be easier, as many big companies have "foreign qualified" lawyers on staff without them having had to qualify locally for the bar.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
My wish is to live in Scotland, but it seems it is not as easy to pass the "bar" there for me to practice, hence, will settle for UK first.
Scotland is part of the United Kingdom, at least at present. Did you mean England?

Do you have a suitable immigration status that would allow you to live and work in the United Kingdom?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I meant England and I do want to work in a corporation. No desire to establish my own practice.

I am a US citizen and I am hoping that the corporation will give me the visa to work in England.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts