Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i'm British and living in the UK and my husband lives in the US, he applied for the I-130 and all the other documents, now my daughter and i have an interview date for next month, is there any advice that i should know. Is there any DO's and Donts?? Any and every advice please.

·
Administrator
51,403 Posts
If all your documents are in order, it could be a very simple, cordial interview. Answer any and all questions truthfully but don't "give away" any information not asked for. (This is often referred to as "answer the question you're asked and only that question.")

If there are any sticky points about your relationship and/or marriage, make sure you have documentation with you covering anything that might cause problems, but don't offer it unless asked about it.

Generally, the better prepared you are for any and all issues, the less likelihood you'll actually need any of the extra documentation.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Have copies of your application and the documents supporting it. Additional information such as photos, address book, letters may come in handy. As Bev said - answer questions truthfully but do not get chatty. Be yourself:>) Depending on the age of your daughter you may want to pack a snack, some toys ...
Good luck! You will be just fine!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your response. Can you tell me, when and if the interview is successful do we get the Green Card..is it issued once we get to the States or over here in the UK? Also do you think i should take photos (photos of my hubby and our family) to the interview? Are we allowed to take snacks into the building? My daughter is 16 so no toys needed. I guess i'm just very anxious and want to be as prepared as i possibly can be. Thanks again for any advice and responses.

Have copies of your application and the documents supporting it. Additional information such as photos, address book, letters may come in handy. As Bev said - answer questions truthfully but do not get chatty. Be yourself:>) Depending on the age of your daughter you may want to pack a snack, some toys ...
Good luck! You will be just fine!

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Yes 16 is a bit old for toys:>) I am not familiar with the regulations in the UK but you can always throw a small pack of candy or crackers in the trash if you cannot take it inside.
Have pictures, letters, ...
All you will get now is a stamp in your passports. GC will be mailed to your US address.
It can be nerve wrecking. Remember - you are neither the first nor the last to go through the process. Go through your documentation, have your passports with you, smile - it will be over in no time. I got mine signed in bright pink by the US Embassador on my back in a hallway:>)

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Okay, it's for a non-immigrant interview. But an immigrant one is pretty well the same.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Okay, it's for a non-immigrant interview. But an immigrant one is pretty well the same.
I thought this was gonna be funny. There was no p*ss taking. You just made me waste 3 minutes 10 secs of my life... :mad:

:D

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thank you both for your response. Can you tell me, when and if the interview is successful do we get the Green Card..is it issued once we get to the States or over here in the UK? Also do you think i should take photos (photos of my hubby and our family) to the interview? Are we allowed to take snacks into the building? My daughter is 16 so no toys needed. I guess i'm just very anxious and want to be as prepared as i possibly can be. Thanks again for any advice and responses.
It is good to keep a photo of your hubby in your "wallet" or purse. Amongst others I was asked to show my "wallet", when he opened my purse, the first question was " I do not see a photo of your husband in here ..."
I just opened a small locker with both our photos in . He smiled and said he was just checking if the relationship is still going strong...

·
Registered
590 Posts
It is good to keep a photo of your hubby in your "wallet" or purse. Amongst others I was asked to show my "wallet", when he opened my purse, the first question was " I do not see a photo of your husband in here ..."
I just opened a small locker with both our photos in . He smiled and said he was just checking if the relationship is still going strong...
Damn, I would never even have thought of that. They really do look into the smallest possible of details! Some great advice on this forum though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts