Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are Americans living in Argentina and, in a few weeks, we are going to be vacationing in Mexico with some friends from the US.
I'd like to have our friends bring us some US Dollars that we can take back to Argentina where it is the preferred currency.
I'm trying to find a way to safely handle the US Dollars while in Mexico.
Obviously if we get cash it means we either have to carry it with us or leave it in the condo we rented.
I'm hoping that someone will suggest a better way to do this.
For example, if our friends bring us traveller's checks can we get US Dollars at a bank in Mexico? If not a bank, how much would a money changer in Mexico charge us?

Any suggestions or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

JR

·
Super Moderator
8,997 Posts
Traveler's checks are old school and very difficult to use. Use an ATM machine like everyone else
I agree that traveler's checks are rarely (almost never?) used in Mexico. But if the OP's friends are bringing them dollars, how will using an ATM help them "safely handle" them?

·
Registered
287 Posts
The amount of fees you pay depends entirely on the bank's affiliation with a Mexican bank. I have used Bank of America here in Baja for several years. I have no bank fee and the international fee is less than $2.

·
Super Moderator
8,997 Posts
The amount of fees you pay depends entirely on the bank's affiliation with a Mexican bank. I have used Bank of America here in Baja for several years. I have no bank fee and the international fee is less than $2.
Will your bank in Baja issue you US dollars from the ATM? That is what the OP wants to know.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Can you recommend a bank whos ATMs will, at the end of my trip, give me a generous amount of US$ without outrageous fees?
I saw only one ATM that dispensed USD and that was at the border in Reynosa. Not a vacation place. International airports such as Mexico City and Cancun (I don't know where you are vacationing) has kiosks to exchange for USD. The rate is scandalous, but ATM machines that dispense USD are just as scandalous.

Depending on the conversion in Argentina, the kiosks might be a good deal, but you have to do the math.

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,056 Posts
Can you recommend a bank whose ATMs will, at the end of my trip, give me a generous amount of US$ without outrageous fees?
These days, the best strategy for getting cash in any currency is to wait until you are in the country, then get cash from an ATM. Do you need US dollars before you get to the US?

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
The op is not going to be in the US but in Mexico : how are they going to get dollars out of ATM s that dispense pesos??

·
Super Moderator
8,997 Posts
Then what does the OP need US dollars for? What am I missing? Why do you need dollars if you are not in the US. And if you are in the US, ATMs dispense dollars.
My dear fellow moderator: If you re-read his initial post, you will see that he wants the US dollars to take back with him to Argentina. For some reason, they are the preferred currency there.

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,056 Posts
My dear fellow moderator: If you re-read his initial post, you will see that he wants the US dollars to take back with him to Argentina. For some reason, they are the preferred currency there.
I should have read the whole thread. I missed the original post.
My dear fellow moderator: If you will read my last post, you will see that I already figured that out and confessed my error.

·
Registered
120 Posts
We are Americans living in Argentina and, in a few weeks, we are going to be vacationing in Mexico with some friends from the US.
I'd like to have our friends bring us some US Dollars that we can take back to Argentina where it is the preferred currency.
I'm trying to find a way to safely handle the US Dollars while in Mexico.
Obviously if we get cash it means we either have to carry it with us or leave it in the condo we rented.
I'm hoping that someone will suggest a better way to do this.
$500? $5,999? $19,999,999? :noidea:

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
As of yesterday Wednesday, July 1, 2015 US dollar higher at 9.105 pesos; 'blue' climbs at 13.55 pesos. The "blue dollar" is the street exchange rate. So depending on the OPs ATM card to USD rate, the vig so to speak, the OP can gain some purchasing power back in Buenos Aires.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I don't know how much money you are talking about, but regardless, I would *never* leave cash in a rented room unless it was the house of a trusted friend (like a close relative or something). Mexico is the land of larceny. Depending on where you are, personal assault is much less likely.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I don't know how much money you are talking about, but regardless, I would *never* leave cash in a rented room unless it was the house of a trusted friend (like a close relative or something). Mexico is the land of larceny. Depending on where you are, personal assault is much less likely.
Must be a friend of Donald Trump.

Reactions: Cristobal

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Mexico is the land of larceny?
Boy, here we come again...

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Leaving cash and especially a lot of it in a hotel room is never a good idea no mater where you are in the world. Money can even be stolen from safes in hotels.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Mexico is the land of larceny?
Boy, here we come again...
I love Mexico, but I am convinced by personal experience that petty theft is rampant in Mexico. Mexico is a beautiful country, though.

The request was for advice, and my advice is don't leave cash in a rented room in Mexico (that was the specific question).

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.