Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yes it's tied to a company. Your company then has to sponsor you for a green card.

So in that case I have to stick to company and If anything happens to my job then all lost right? I have 8+ years of experience but company offered me Program Analyst position:( and package below 65 k us$ :(

At this stage I am bit confused in taking the decision that go on H1b now or wait a year and then go on E3 after getting Australian Citizenship..

H1B Stamping is pending yet.

Looking for expert advise

·
Registered
771 Posts
Hello All,
Is H1B specific to company?

If we are on H1b when can we apply for Green Card?

But you could transfer it to a new employer if some other company is offering you a better job. But for Green Card, it is employer specific. You have to start the process again if you join a new company using H1-B.

·
Registered
771 Posts
So in that case I have to stick to company and If anything happens to my job then all lost right? I have 8+ years of experience but company offered me Program Analyst position:( and package below 65 k us$ :(

At this stage I am bit confused in taking the decision that go on H1b now or wait a year and then go on E3 after getting Australian Citizenship..

H1B Stamping is pending yet.

Looking for expert advise
If you have Aussie experience (assuming so), you can definitely get a good job in another company in Australia I feel. Why do you want to go to US unless you get a good salary package ?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi everyone,

1) Me and my wife is working in India in MNC IT firm having 8 years of technical experience.

I am in following situation :

1) My case is selected for h1b 2015 and yet to go for stamping. I also want to apply for Australia PR or Canada PR.

2) Now my question is weather I have to go for USA h1b or not because my wife did not get a job in USA on H4 visa.

3) Suppose if I go to USA and then if I apply for Canada PR then Is it a good option?

4) I heard that Australia is better option for IT sector employees.

Please suggest the way forward~
:juggle::juggle:
Let me tell u my experiences in the US..

I first went over there in 2004 right after finishing school and did a BSE in electrical engineering. I worked a cople of internships that were part of the program and graduated in 2010. Almost immediately I did a masters (Also in EE) and graduated from that in 2012.

After that it took me almost a year to find a job.. the US job market for students is complete junk. tons of unethical indian and even US companies set up to exploit new graduates from the onset.

Anyways I finally got a job in 2013 as a RF Engineer. Pay was good but it involved 100% traveling so absolutely no life other than work. Also by late 2013 my work allowance from the student visa was running out. However my company did file for H1B..

I went to the H1B lottery in april 2014.. Although there were more candidates than visas I was lucky enough to win the lottery and got my H1B.

After that I continued to work but hte conditions were terrible. employers know that people on H1B have no options (since their residency is tied to their job) so they will do anything that is asked of them. I worked sometimes 24hrs+ at a stretch with no gratitude or even over time pay. of course there was no guaranteed weekends off either.

However all that came to an end in Jan 2015.. I got let go without even a prior warning...

The thing with H1B visa is that it ends (you are out of status) the day very day u lose your job.. However there is an unwritten rule that you can still transfer if you get a job within 30 days.. So even though I has zero expectations I tried for a month to find another job but had no luck.
To be honest at that point I was fed up with the US visa system to the point where I didn't even want to bother.. So in Feb 2015 I decided to leave for good. (after 11years in the US).

So basically the H1B system in my opinion is a huge risk and a scam.. You are basically indentured servant. I guess its ok if you only plan to work but for people who want to actually live in the US (such as myself) its a waste of time.. I mean I spend 11years over there, Payed hundreds of thousands of dollars on education and paid taxes and have nothing to show for it.

It's not just me either.. probably half a dozen of my friends who went to college with me hoping to one day settle down in the US had to leave. The whole system is crap.. Employers do not want to hire recent grads because they do not want to deal with the immigration issues (its a risk for them to training a new employee and then have them have to leave because they didn't win the H1B). Also most small employers do not even have a clue how to file H1B lol.

Also there is the issue with greencard.. The process is so long (im not indian but i know its especially bad for Indians due to the wait time) that most people's H1B run out while waiting for the greencard.
Add to that that most employees are extremely reluctant to file for greencard because they know that you are stuck with them and your options are limited while on H1B and as soon as you get a PR (greencard) you are free to do whatever you want.. So there is really no incentive for a employer to file..

all in all I think trying to move to the US thro employment/study is a waste of time. I wish I and known this when I was 18. I would never have gone to the US for my higher education.. I'd have gone to Canada or Australia instead.

Don't get me wrong I loved living in the US and its experiencing everything it had to offer.. But the risk is just not worth it.. imo.

On the other hand I'm right now in the process of filing PR in Aus.. its a night and day difference from the US. its extremely streamlined and fast.

Also I saw someone mentioning PPP in this thread. This is true. due to high taxes, increased cost of living (although there are places in the the US that are of the same high cost of living if not higher.. it really depends on where u live. Texas for example is very cheap where as living in LA is the same if not worse than living in say Sydney), you will never actually be able to save as much as u did in the US.

However the state of Australia's social services are on another level from the US. So this might help to mitigate some of that cost. Also crime in particular gun crime is far lower in Australia since not everyone is waling around with a gun lol (I do support the right of citizens to bear arms but this is the reality of it)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm not even sure how some of you are even in a position to make any conclusions about the job market in the US, Canada OR Australia if you've never been to any of these countries.

I think it's pure foley to give advice to others about something you don't have any firsthand experience about. I cannot give a firsthand opinion about Australia yet, but Canada does NOT have an abundance of IT jobs. The market has shrunk considerably over the past number of years. However, this does not mean there aren't any jobs. It just means employers are a lot more selective than they used to be. I do job interviews, and we can be very picky and look for only the best because for each job posting we put out, we get hundreds of resumes.

I don't have firsthand experience about the US job market, so hopefully someone who actually works in the US can give their experience about it.

As for healthcare, once again, how can people even make any conclusions about the healthcare if they've never been to any of the countries? I know for a fact that Canada's healthcare is better than the US. But, if you work for a good company in the US, they will provide stellar benefits on par with Canada. However, I'm not so sure how easy it is to claim the benefits once you need them. In Canada, this isn't an issue at all since a lot is covered just by being a citizen/PR. To me, it looks like Australia's healthcare is probably at least on par with Canada. I've read that Australia is even better than Canada's because Medicare covers almost everything, but then private healthcare lets you avoid the long wait times. In Canada, there is no really no distinction between public health care and private. Everyone has to endure long wait times. Again, I don't have firsthand experience with Australia's healthcare so take this opinion with a grain of salt.

As for me, I've lived in Canada all my life. I plan on moving to Australia because the weather is much better, the public transport is better (even though Aussie's complain about it, it is far worse here), and the lifestyle is more of a west coast lifestyle compared to where I currently work. Toronto is a very hectic lifestyle, which works for some people, but for me, I need a change of pace.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Great post! Finally, someone who knows what they are talking about.

I first went over there in 2004 right after finishing school and did a BSE in electrical engineering. I worked a cople of internships that were part of the program and graduated in 2010. Almost immediately I did a masters (Also in EE) and graduated from that in 2012.

After that it took me almost a year to find a job.. the US job market for students is complete junk. tons of unethical indian and even US companies set up to exploit new graduates from the onset.

Anyways I finally got a job in 2013 as a RF Engineer. Pay was good but it involved 100% traveling so absolutely no life other than work. Also by late 2013 my work allowance from the student visa was running out. However my company did file for H1B..

I went to the H1B lottery in april 2014.. Although there were more candidates than visas I was lucky enough to win the lottery and got my H1B.

After that I continued to work but hte conditions were terrible. employers know that people on H1B have no options (since their residency is tied to their job) so they will do anything that is asked of them. I worked sometimes 24hrs+ at a stretch with no gratitude or even over time pay. of course there was no guaranteed weekends off either.

However all that came to an end in Jan 2015.. I got let go without even a prior warning...

The thing with H1B visa is that it ends (you are out of status) the day very day u lose your job.. However there is an unwritten rule that you can still transfer if you get a job within 30 days.. So even though I has zero expectations I tried for a month to find another job but had no luck.
To be honest at that point I was fed up with the US visa system to the point where I didn't even want to bother.. So in Feb 2015 I decided to leave for good. (after 11years in the US).

So basically the H1B system in my opinion is a huge risk and a scam.. You are basically indentured servant. I guess its ok if you only plan to work but for people who want to actually live in the US (such as myself) its a waste of time.. I mean I spend 11years over there, Payed hundreds of thousands of dollars on education and paid taxes and have nothing to show for it.

It's not just me either.. probably half a dozen of my friends who went to college with me hoping to one day settle down in the US had to leave. The whole system is crap.. Employers do not want to hire recent grads because they do not want to deal with the immigration issues (its a risk for them to training a new employee and then have them have to leave because they didn't win the H1B). Also most small employers do not even have a clue how to file H1B lol.

Also there is the issue with greencard.. The process is so long (im not indian but i know its especially bad for Indians due to the wait time) that most people's H1B run out while waiting for the greencard.
Add to that that most employees are extremely reluctant to file for greencard because they know that you are stuck with them and your options are limited while on H1B and as soon as you get a PR (greencard) you are free to do whatever you want.. So there is really no incentive for a employer to file..

all in all I think trying to move to the US thro employment/study is a waste of time. I wish I and known this when I was 18. I would never have gone to the US for my higher education.. I'd have gone to Canada or Australia instead.

Don't get me wrong I loved living in the US and its experiencing everything it had to offer.. But the risk is just not worth it.. imo.

On the other hand I'm right now in the process of filing PR in Aus.. its a night and day difference from the US. its extremely streamlined and fast.

Also I saw someone mentioning PPP in this thread. This is true. due to high taxes, increased cost of living (although there are places in the the US that are of the same high cost of living if not higher.. it really depends on where u live. Texas for example is very cheap where as living in LA is the same if not worse than living in say Sydney), you will never actually be able to save as much as u did in the US.

However the state of Australia's social services are on another level from the US. So this might help to mitigate some of that cost. Also crime in particular gun crime is far lower in Australia since not everyone is waling around with a gun lol (I do support the right of citizens to bear arms but this is the reality of it)

·
Banned
247 Posts

You are 100% correct. I couldn't ask better viewpoint than this.

I was there in USA for 6 years and fedup with medical system and H1 process. Believe me or not Medical system is so pathetic, whatever you earn even after above difficulties, rest assured doctors take your blood to build their skyscrappers. Few occasions, I felt India is far better than USA. After returning, I realized India problems. India has its own set of problems though it's totally different. Now I am looking for Aus. Let me see what it offers.

In the end, it all depends on your own attitude and tolerance. Unfortunately, one will not know unless stays! so make informed decision and play your cards accordingly. But remember there is no heaven or hell. Bitter reality is, everything is in between.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I greatly enjoyed reading the last few posts. BatWolf, your case and my case are eerily similar! :) I too studied and worked in the US for a combined total of 8.5 years, then got laid off and had to leave. Luckily just in time I got an offer in South Africa and have been here ever since. Currently I'm trying for both Canada and Australia PR and waiting for one of them to work out.

Being on H1B is total sh1t!! Otherwise, I enjoyed living in America and interacting with the locals. I miss living there in the North East (NJ/NYC) but work situation was terrible on H1.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Let me tell u my experiences in the US.. I first went over there in 2004 right after finishing school and did a BSE in electrical engineering. I worked a cople of internships that were part of the program and graduated in 2010. Almost immediately I did a masters (Also in EE) and graduated from that in 2012. After that it took me almost a year to find a job.. the US job market for students is complete junk. tons of unethical indian and even US companies set up to exploit new graduates from the onset. Anyways I finally got a job in 2013 as a RF Engineer. Pay was good but it involved 100% traveling so absolutely no life other than work. Also by late 2013 my work allowance from the student visa was running out. However my company did file for H1B.. I went to the H1B lottery in april 2014.. Although there were more candidates than visas I was lucky enough to win the lottery and got my H1B. After that I continued to work but hte conditions were terrible. employers know that people on H1B have no options (since their residency is tied to their job) so they will do anything that is asked of them. I worked sometimes 24hrs+ at a stretch with no gratitude or even over time pay. of course there was no guaranteed weekends off either. However all that came to an end in Jan 2015.. I got let go without even a prior warning... The thing with H1B visa is that it ends (you are out of status) the day very day u lose your job.. However there is an unwritten rule that you can still transfer if you get a job within 30 days.. So even though I has zero expectations I tried for a month to find another job but had no luck. To be honest at that point I was fed up with the US visa system to the point where I didn't even want to bother.. So in Feb 2015 I decided to leave for good. (after 11years in the US). So basically the H1B system in my opinion is a huge risk and a scam.. You are basically indentured servant. I guess its ok if you only plan to work but for people who want to actually live in the US (such as myself) its a waste of time.. I mean I spend 11years over there, Payed hundreds of thousands of dollars on education and paid taxes and have nothing to show for it. It's not just me either.. probably half a dozen of my friends who went to college with me hoping to one day settle down in the US had to leave. The whole system is crap.. Employers do not want to hire recent grads because they do not want to deal with the immigration issues (its a risk for them to training a new employee and then have them have to leave because they didn't win the H1B). Also most small employers do not even have a clue how to file H1B lol. Also there is the issue with greencard.. The process is so long (im not indian but i know its especially bad for Indians due to the wait time) that most people's H1B run out while waiting for the greencard. Add to that that most employees are extremely reluctant to file for greencard because they know that you are stuck with them and your options are limited while on H1B and as soon as you get a PR (greencard) you are free to do whatever you want.. So there is really no incentive for a employer to file.. all in all I think trying to move to the US thro employment/study is a waste of time. I wish I and known this when I was 18. I would never have gone to the US for my higher education.. I'd have gone to Canada or Australia instead. Don't get me wrong I loved living in the US and its experiencing everything it had to offer.. But the risk is just not worth it.. imo. On the other hand I'm right now in the process of filing PR in Aus.. its a night and day difference from the US. its extremely streamlined and fast. Also I saw someone mentioning PPP in this thread. This is true. due to high taxes, increased cost of living (although there are places in the the US that are of the same high cost of living if not higher.. it really depends on where u live. Texas for example is very cheap where as living in LA is the same if not worse than living in say Sydney), you will never actually be able to save as much as u did in the US. However the state of Australia's social services are on another level from the US. So this might help to mitigate some of that cost. Also crime in particular gun crime is far lower in Australia since not everyone is waling around with a gun lol (I do support the right of citizens to bear arms but this is the reality of it)
Great post; this post should be pinned at the front of the forum. This will avoid questions from numbskulls like "which is better US or OZ?". Every country has it's pros and cons. Many potential immigrants are not clear what they want in their life and expect forum members to give the answer for them. All you can ask is experience of forum members; beyond that is your decision. One last point; Money isn't everything. On the long term; Social system trumps salaries.

Sent from my iPad using ExpatForum

·
Registered
81 Posts
I greatly enjoyed reading the last few posts. BatWolf, your case and my case are eerily similar! :) I too studied and worked in the US for a combined total of 8.5 years, then got laid off and had to leave. Luckily just in time I got an offer in South Africa and have been here ever since. Currently I'm trying for both Canada and Australia PR and waiting for one of them to work out.

Being on H1B is total sh1t!! Otherwise, I enjoyed living in America and interacting with the locals. I miss living there in the North East (NJ/NYC) but work situation was terrible on H1.
yeah man its not a rare case at all..

Just 3 days ago an old college mate of mine (few years junior to me) contacted me over facebook and told me the same story..

He got a job after graduation (only a BSE) and then got his H1B.. It's been 3 years now so it's time to renew the H1b (fyi H1B is renewable automatically without going to lottery again after 3 years for a total of 6 years). But his company said they don't want to deal with the hassle or cost of renewing plus they did not want to file for a greencard..

So now he only has 30 days left to find a new job..

I told him to seriously consider applying for Aussie PR (he should be able to get 70pts with superior English for a 189 subclass visa), because even if by some chance he were to find another job, he would face the same situation in another 3 years.

Also US degrees are well respected and US work experience is valued in aus according to everyone I've spoken to so shouldn't be hard for a US grad/employee to find work down under.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Also US degrees are well respected and US work experience is valued in aus according to everyone I've spoken to so shouldn't be hard for a US grad/employee to find work down under.
I sincerely hope what you're saying is true!! :fingerscrossed::)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't have a US degree but may well get US experience in next 6 months. I have a valid Oz PR but now my company is filing my L1A visa in the role of an IT Project Manager. Just in case my employer does not file my green card (EB1-C which takes < 1 year to approve) then I have the option of moving back to Oz.

Will my US project management experience be considered in Oz as good enough to meet the "local Oz experience a.k.a. cultural fit" jargon? Or do I still have to get local experience first before being considered for a PM role?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I sincerely hope what you're saying is true!! :fingerscrossed::)
Reality is something else. I personally don't think USA experience has any greater value than UK/international. Australian employers prefer local experience over international experience :rolleyes:

It can be different if you have some extraordinary skill! Research before you presume.

Good luck:)

·
Registered
357 Posts

Excellent post, mate! Eye opener for many who don't know the immigration system of US.

·
Registered
460 Posts
From May 26, 2015, certain H4 spouses will be able to apply for Employment Authorization in US. It has become a law recently.

Read the details here - Employment Authorization for Certain H-4 Dependent Spouses | USCIS

And regarding US green card, a main factor is your country of Birth, not country of Citizenship, as green card queue is based Country of Birth. If you are an Indian Citizen, born in some African country like Nigeria, you will get your GC soon. But if you are an Indian citizen born in India, the queue is pretty long, a back log of more than 10 years in Employment Based -3 category.

If you are Citizen of some country other than India and China, then the Green Card back log is not that big I guess.

Hi

I just came here to say what I know about Spouse working in USA on H4.
Yes your spouse can work in H4 visa but the conditions are:

1. Once USCIS approves the 'Form I-765' and the H-4 dependent spouse receives an Employment Authorization Card, he or she may begin working in the United States.

2.The USCIS, in a statement, said the Department of Homeland Security is extending the eligibility for employment authorization (EAD) to certain H-4 dependent spouses of H-1B non-immigrants who are seeking employment based Permanent Residency

3.Eligible individuals include certain H-4 dependent spouses of H-1B non-immigrants (principal H1B worker) who are the beneficiaries of an approved 'Form I-140', Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker, or satisfy at least one or more of the three conditions.

Important condition

4. The conditions include that the principal H1B worker has an approved 'I-140' or is currently on an extended H1B status beyond the 6-year limitation based upon an I-140 petition application pending for at least 365 days (one calendar year)

Reference: Times Of India - Feb 25th 2015

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just to add to the thread. There have been a number of redundancies recently from Telstra and Quantas, IT jobs, and more coming next year from other tech companies. The IT job market in Melbourne is pretty flat at present, and from what I can see more jobs available in Sydney.

Australia is a high cost centre and wages on the whole are generally high, which also does not help. A lot of IT jobs are being offshored to cut costs.

As previously mentioned, the mining boom is over and this is/has hit the economy with the budget running a big deficit.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hi

I just came here to say what I know about Spouse working in USA on H4.
Yes your spouse can work in H4 visa but the conditions are:

1. Once USCIS approves the 'Form I-765' and the H-4 dependent spouse receives an Employment Authorization Card, he or she may begin working in the United States.

2.The USCIS, in a statement, said the Department of Homeland Security is extending the eligibility for employment authorization (EAD) to certain H-4 dependent spouses of H-1B non-immigrants who are seeking employment based Permanent Residency

3.Eligible individuals include certain H-4 dependent spouses of H-1B non-immigrants (principal H1B worker) who are the beneficiaries of an approved 'Form I-140', Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker, or satisfy at least one or more of the three conditions.

Important condition

4. The conditions include that the principal H1B worker has an approved 'I-140' or is currently on an extended H1B status beyond the 6-year limitation based upon an I-140 petition application pending for at least 365 days (one calendar year)

Reference: Times Of India - Feb 25th 2015
That's right, H4 work authorisation is not granted along with H1b. H1b employee i140 (2nd step of green card, if you are not EB1) has to be approved which depending on the category (EB 1/2/3) can take minimum of one year, IF your employer is willing to file for your PR(green card)!

The US system is very complicated and difficult. Please research before making that decision.

Good luck:)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Just to add to the thread. There have been a number of redundancies recently from Telstra and Quantas, IT jobs, and more coming next year from other tech companies. The IT job market in Melbourne is pretty flat at present, and from what I can see more jobs available in Sydney.

Australia is a high cost centre and wages on the whole are generally high, which also does not help. A lot of IT jobs are being offshored to cut costs.

As previously mentioned, the mining boom is over and this is/has hit the economy with the budget running a big deficit.
And that deficit is going to stay at least till 2021! Housing boom has already peaked in Sydney. Let's just hope and pray that we do not encounter a crash!

21 - 40 of 52 Posts