Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

1) Me and my wife is working in India in MNC IT firm having 8 years of technical experience.

I am in following situation :

1) My case is selected for h1b 2015 and yet to go for stamping. I also want to apply for Australia PR or Canada PR.

2) Now my question is weather I have to go for USA h1b or not because my wife did not get a job in USA on H4 visa.

3) Suppose if I go to USA and then if I apply for Canada PR then Is it a good option?

4) I heard that Australia is better option for IT sector employees.

Please suggest the way forward~
:juggle::juggle:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hi everyone,

1) Me and my wife is working in India in MNC IT firm having 8 years of technical experience.

1) My case is selected for h1b 2015 and yet to go for stamping. I also want to apply for Australia PR or Canada PR.

2) Now my question is weather I have to go for USA h1b or not because my wife did not get a job in USA on H4 visa.

3) Suppose if I go to USA and then if I apply for Canada PR then Is it a good option?

It depends on whether your long term plan is to settle overseas or just go there, make some money and return to home country.

USA is a big economy and a large IT market, unlike Australia.
However, getting green card in USA is a very long process though. If immigration is your objective, Canada or Aus PR are good options.

Option 3- mentioned above is also a good option. It will help you gain North American experience while your Canada PR is being processed.

The decision largely depends on your perrsonal preferences. Some people just don't like it too cold, hence US/Canada are not good options for them. If you have lived at any of these places for some time, it helps to make an informed decision.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I understand from friends that IT market is quite good in the US right now, which indicates it is the best time to start working in US.
As for as Australia goes, job market is quite tight and only the lucky ones get jobs quickly. There are numerous threads on this forum.

IMO, your option 3 sounds very attractive.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Australia was never an IT hub. US and Canada are light years ahead of Australian IT market.

Currently Jobs are hard to come by and this holds true for all sectors in Oz not just IT. End of mining boom also ends the golden period of Oz economy.

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Australia was never an IT hub. US and Canada are light years ahead of Australian IT market. Currently Jobs are hard to come by and this holds true for all sectors in Oz not just IT. End of mining boom also ends the golden period of Oz economy.
The US job market has improved significantly in the past year or so but the same cannot be said for Canada. You think Australia's bad. Move to Canada.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The US job market has improved significantly in the past year or so but the same cannot be said for Canada. You think Australia's bad. Move to Canada.
Canada's IT job market is way better than Australia. The reason is less operating cost of setting IT company in canada. IT business is all about margins and currently at 80 cents and minimum wage rate of around $20 the margins are very stressed for Oz IT. Outsourcing makes more sense now...

·
Registered
3,427 Posts

ALL depends on your long term plans.

BEST thing would be go ahead with H1B stamping and THEN decide on Canada / Australia.

Points to ponder on:

* Job opportunities are in abundance in US/Canada WHEN compared to Australia.

* The climate is very different in US/ Canada as compared to Australia.

* I have been to US & Australia AND found Australians more welcoming

* There is some AURA about Australia. You straight away find some connection with Australians.

Hi everyone,

·
Registered
56 Posts
Agree with Jeeten. From quality of life perspective, I have met with many people who have lived in US, Europe and OZ and all of them agree that if they decide to settle down somewhere that would be Oz.

However, be informed that PPP ( Purchasing Power Parity) Index is higher for US. This means that you'd be able to afford better house or services as compared to that in Oz for every $1 spent.

If I were you, I'd consider my longer term plans ( e.g higher studies etc) and compare from healthcare, job opportunities, school education etc.

It's really a catch 22 because US healthcare is mess whereas that in Oz is considered to be much better. On other side, job opportunities in ICT may be higher in US. But then US is more prone to recessions and job cuts ( refer to unemployment in ICT sector for two countries in last 2 years). So, its tricky to decide. Your relatives or friend circle living in a country may be another factor.

So, just take time , talk to people based in US and Oz and then take your decision. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Canada's IT job market is way better than Australia. The reason is less operating cost of setting IT company in canada. IT business is all about margins and currently at 80 cents and minimum wage rate of around $20 the margins are very stressed for Oz IT. Outsourcing makes more sense now...
Considering there are no jobs in Canada and the few jobs that are available are contract only, I'd say your analysis is flawed. Have you even been to Canada recently or know anyone there looking for work? Doubt it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've been on H1B for more than 6 years and now have an Australian PR and am fairly well settled here... been here for almost a year now.

My biggest fear with H1 was that if I lost my job, I'd have to pack up my things and leave the country unless I could find another sponsor within a month or so. What happened to me was far worse though as I left USA for a vacation, got a 221g when trying to renew my visa and it took the USCIS more than a year to reject my case. The result? I was stuck in India and all my belongings were in USA. I faced great difficulties and had to work with my landlord to sell my car and my friend had to pick up my other belongings. Later they even rejected a visitor visa for me and my wife.

On the other hand with an Australian PR, which is as good a GC, you will never face such a situation unless you push your luck and did not fulfill your 2 year residency requirement; that should not be an issue for most people. Of course the IT market in Australia is a lot smaller and cost of living a lot higher so those are things to take into account.

Rahul

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Reactions: ajji117

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Jeetendra,

thanks for quick reply.
am located in Hyderabad. i met one of the immigration consultant and she says we required a immigration lawyer to start process.
do we really required immigration lawyer?
if yes what will be cost?
if we process by consultant is good?

thanks in advance for ur help.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts

Kindly read the referenced links in my earlier POST ... END to END for better understanding of the PR process.

ALL your queries would be answered there.

Hi Jeetendra,

thanks for quick reply.
am located in Hyderabad. i met one of the immigration consultant and she says we required a immigration lawyer to start process.

Reactions: ajji117

·
Registered
737 Posts
Hi Jeetendra,

thanks for quick reply.

Better do it yourself. Why you want to waste your money by hiring an agent ? with all the information in this forum, there is no need to use an agent.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Hi everyone,

Right now the market in US is good. For a long term plan, I would suggest work in US for 3-4 years and then move to Australia with PR.

I would not recommend option 3. I have been to both US and Canada. One good thing with Canada is health care, for US health care system is not good like Australia and Canada. But I heard it is not easy to get a job in Canada unless you have Canadian work experience. But again it depends on your Technology.

Now my question is weather I have to go for USA h1b or not because my wife did not get a job in USA on H4 visa. - If you have the second stage of US immigrant petition approved (I-140 application), your wife will be eligible to get an EAD (Employment Authorization) and work. This has already become a law in this May (even though some are challenging it in court). Another option is go there and convert your visa to L1 so that your wife can get EAD without any conditions as in the case of H1. and later she can try for her own H1B.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If I were you, Canada would be out of question due to the job market and the weather.

Advantages of US H1B: Great US job market, Fun place to be

Disadvantages of US H1B: Weather(depending on where you stay. I personally hated cold weather), Spouse unable to work (although you can check if the recent immigration changes allow your spouse to be eligible for work permit), insecurities that come with a work visa (you always worry about losing your job), extremely long GC process, costly healthcare and not as employee friendly policies as Australia (things like paid maternity leave, minimum wage, etc)

Advantages of Australian PR: Its a PR which means you could practically do anything, Eligible for a lot of health and social security benefits, More employee friendly policies compared to US, Awesome weather, friendly people, Spouse can work, higher minimum wages compared to US

Disadvantages of Australia in general: economy not as strong as US wrt jobs

·
Registered
737 Posts
H4 Work Permit

If I were you, Canada would be out of question due to the job market and the weather.

Advantages of US H1B: Great US job market, Fun place to be

Disadvantages of US H1B: Weather(depending on where you stay. I personally hated cold weather), Spouse unable to work (although you can check if the recent immigration changes allow your spouse to be eligible for work permit), insecurities that come with a work visa (you always worry about losing your job), extremely long GC process, costly healthcare and not as employee friendly policies as Australia (things like paid maternity leave, minimum wage, etc)

Advantages of Australian PR: Its a PR which means you could practically do anything, Eligible for a lot of health and social security benefits, More employee friendly policies compared to US, Awesome weather, friendly people, Spouse can work, higher minimum wages compared to US

Disadvantages of Australia in general: economy not as strong as US wrt jobs
From May 26, 2015, certain H4 spouses will be able to apply for Employment Authorization in US. It has become a law recently.

Read the details here - Employment Authorization for Certain H-4 Dependent Spouses | USCIS

And regarding US green card, a main factor is your country of Birth, not country of Citizenship, as green card queue is based Country of Birth. If you are an Indian Citizen, born in some African country like Nigeria, you will get your GC soon. But if you are an Indian citizen born in India, the queue is pretty long, a back log of more than 10 years in Employment Based -3 category.

If you are Citizen of some country other than India and China, then the Green Card back log is not that big I guess.

·
Registered
491 Posts
ALL depends on your long term plans.

BEST thing would be go ahead with H1B stamping and THEN decide on Canada / Australia.

Points to ponder on:

* Job opportunities are in abundance in US/Canada WHEN compared to Australia.

* The climate is very different in US/ Canada as compared to Australia.

* I have been to US & Australia AND found Australians more welcoming

* There is some AURA about Australia. You straight away find some connection with Australians.
Thank you Jeeten.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts