Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Glad I found this site it looks very useful and friendly!
My American girlfriend who is living with me in Canada wants to stay
She does not have to work in Canada as she works for an American company and works remotely from anywhere.
What are the steps we need to do to make this legal
Help!

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Hi,
Glad I found this site it looks very useful and friendly!
My American girlfriend who is living with me in Canada wants to stay
She does not have to work in Canada as she works for an American company and works remotely from anywhere What are the steps we need to do to make this legal
Help!
If you have lived in a common-law relationship for 12 months or more you may sponsor her under the spousal plan. Otherwise you'd have to marry her or she'd need to qualify for immigration on her own via a job on the List of 29 or sponsorship from an employer in Canada.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have lived in a common-law relationship for 12 months or more you may sponsor her under the spousal plan. Otherwise you'd have to marry her or she'd need to qualify for immigration on her own via a job on the List of 29 or sponsorship from an employer in Canada.
Since she is not working here how long can she stay and not have an issue. She does have to travel back and forth to the states sometimes for work

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As a visitor, 6 months.
Thanks for being helpful Auld

To confirm.. because she is not taking a job from Canada, she is allowed to stay for 6 months at a time. Is it okay if she just goes to the states for a long weekend every 6 months?
If so what should she explain to canadian customs when she enters

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Thanks for being helpful Auld

To confirm.. because she is not taking a job from Canada, she is allowed to stay for 6 months at a time. Is it okay if she just goes to the states for a long weekend every 6 months?
If so what should she explain to canadian customs when she enters
You should understand that if she does that and works remotely for her US employer, she is actually breaking Canadian law. She is not permitted to work in Canada without a visa/permit and you are abetting her. She runs the risk of being banned from Canada.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You should understand that if she does that and works remotely for her US employer, she is actually breaking Canadian law. She is not permitted to work in Canada without a visa/permit and you are abetting her. She runs the risk of being banned from Canada.
What type of visa or permit would she need to obtain

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
What type of visa or permit would she need to obtain
To enter Canada legally she needs to have one of the 29 occupations Canada deems necessary for its present needs or, alternatively, she needs to be sponsored by a Canadian employer who cannot find a Canadian/Permanent Resident to fill a position. She would need to pay taxes in Canada.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.