Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,
I'm french from the carribeans, in a relationship with an american citizen for over 2 years. We have a baby together and we want to get married and live in the States. Currently, I live in the carribeans with our son and his father stays in the states. We try to see each other as often as possible since my son's birth, which means every 3 months. Before that it was every 6 months.

We research a lot the web but we still dont know what would be the best option for us. We are looking for the "quickest" way to get married and to live together, so our son can live with his 2 parents.

My partner asked questions to the embassy but the answers was vague. The lady told him that if we were already married, the process would be quicker.
At the same time, we find contradictory information on the web : "you need a visa to get married", "if you are married your file is a priority", "you will be deported if you get mzrried before asking for a visa". Well we are lost. We are looking for people who were in the same situation, or close, so we can have some help.

My questions are :
-Is it better to apply for a k1 visa then get married, or get married and apply for a k3 visa?

-If I get married in the us without a visa what would be the documents needed?

Thank you,

Enyah

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
simplest annd quickest

for a fiancee visa
K1 Process Flowchart

US Citizen can apply for a special visa to allow a non-citizen (their fiancée) to enter the country in order to get married to a US citizen inside the US.

Once issued, the K1 visa will allow the non-citizen to enter the United States legally, for 90 days in order for the marriage ceremony to take place. Once you marry, the non-citizen can remain in the US and may apply for permanent residence. While USCIS processes the application, the non-citizen can remain in the US legally
The US citizen income must meet the require minimum to fulfill the affidavit of support
currently$19400

1 - 3 of 3 Posts