Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only been able to find one good site to let me know what documents are needed in my application. Can someone point me to a good website? I really don't want to be denied. My fiancé just bought a house for us in the UK and I'd like to come back over as soon as possible. Any advice?
We meet the salary guidelines of over £18,600, but do not have savings really.
We have photos together and trips together. Proof of all that.
I have read that we have to show intent to marry. What's that mean? because I read we cannot book a date with the registrars office until I am in the UK. (I am actually currently here for two weeks and am going back home).

What's this property inspection stuff I've read about?

In desperate need of help and guidance! ?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Evidence of finances (from sponsor): Letter from HR detailing his employment terms/salary/hire date, P60, payslips, bank statements showing deposits. You do not need to show savings if he meets the financial requirement through salaried employment alone.

Sponsor's passport bio pages. Your current and previous passports, 2 passport-sized colour photographs, evidence of your current employment (if applicable), biometric information (by appointment),

Evidence of accommodation: Deed to his house, mortgage, utility bills, tax statements. Anything to show that he legally owns the house and that the house is currently occupied by him.

Evidence of relationship: Photos together, logs of communication between you, eTickets from visits. You don't need to show a lot of intent to marry, (receipts for wedding rings, wedding dress etc. do help) but since you need a venue booked in order to give notice to marry, I would highly suggest including a venue booking confirmation. Have him email the designated registry office where you plan to give notice and book an appointment. The trick with this is that you can't actually book an appointment until you're physically in the UK since you're subject to immigration control, as you know, so don't mention the fact that you're a foreign national. At best, you will actually have an appointment booked. At worst, you'll have evidence that he is communicating with the registry office to marry you. You will also need at least a buffer of 70 days between giving notice and being able to marry.

A lot of this is why my husband and I chose to marry at a Justice of the Peace in the US, and just applied for a spouse visa instead. I can't even tell you how much trouble and headache it's saved us.

Guide to supporting documents:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ment_data/file/270197/sup-docs-settlement.pdf

Do a search on this forum for "fiancee visa document checklist" - There are a lot of examples

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Evidence of finances (from sponsor): Letter from HR detailing his employment terms/salary/hire date, P60, payslips, bank statements showing deposits. You do not need to show savings if he meets the financial requirement through salaried employment alone.

Sponsor's passport bio pages. Your current and previous passports, 2 passport-sized colour photographs, evidence of your current employment (if applicable), biometric information (by appointment),

Evidence of accommodation: Deed to his house, mortgage, utility bills, tax statements. Anything to show that he legally owns the house and that the house is currently occupied by him.

Evidence of relationship: Photos together, logs of communication between you, eTickets from visits. You don't need to show a lot of intent to marry, (receipts for wedding rings, wedding dress etc. do help) but since you need a venue booked in order to give notice to marry, I would highly suggest including a venue booking confirmation. Have him email the designated registry office where you plan to give notice and book an appointment. The trick with this is that you can't actually book an appointment until you're physically in the UK since you're subject to immigration control, as you know, so don't mention the fact that you're a foreign national. At best, you will actually have an appointment booked. At worst, you'll have evidence that he is communicating with the registry office to marry you. You will also need at least a buffer of 70 days between giving notice and being able to marry.

A lot of this is why my husband and I chose to marry at a Justice of the Peace in the US, and just applied for a spouse visa instead. I can't even tell you how much trouble and headache it's saved us.

Guide to supporting documents:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ment_data/file/270197/sup-docs-settlement.pdf

Do a search on this forum for "fiancee visa document checklist" - There are a lot of examples

Thank you for all of that.
The intent to marry is so confusing! I can't book an appointment until I get back with the fiancé visa, correct? A venue booking is no problem. He wants to get married at the registrar and hold a wedding party at the local pub with close friends and family. We don't really want a big wedding.

What was is like getting married in the states? And then coming back? That's always an option for us.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Secretlobster,
I was just wondering is it illegal to get married in the USA on a tourist visa?
I'm British and my fiancée is from New Orleans and we plan to live in the UK.
We're visiting the USA for the whole of June and I'm confused as what to do and apply for.
If it is ok to get married on a tourist visa should I apply for a settlement visa before we leave the USA or can we apply once we're back in the UK?
Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
39,148 Posts
Yes, you can marry on ESTA/visa waiver. You need evidence that you will leave US after marriage and won't stay on.
It doesn't matter where you as sponsor are when settlement application is made.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've just seen on a website that even though we get married in the US we'd still have to apply for a settlement visa within the U.S. as my fiancé would only be on a visitors visa if we applied from within the UK, is this true?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.