Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband's company has approached him about taking a post in the London area for 2-4 years.

They are in the process of putting together a compensation package for him. We have started looking online for information on expenses to make sure the package is sufficient or if any items need to be negotiated. Rent has been easy to find but still need to gather other living expense information such as taxes, auto expense, utilities, moving, etc.

We are very excited & hope that everything works out. We have never lived outside the US but have traveled extensively. Our adult children will remain in the states but we might bring our kitty with us.

Any helpful info or links for information would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
My husband's company has approached him about taking a post in the London area for 2-4 years.

They are in the process of putting together a compensation package for him. We have started looking online for information on expenses to make sure the package is sufficient or if any items need to be negotiated. Rent has been easy to find but still need to gather other living expense information such as taxes, auto expense, utilities, moving, etc.

We are very excited & hope that everything works out. We have never lived outside the US but have traveled extensively. Our adult children will remain in the states but we might bring our kitty with us.

Any helpful info or links for information would be greatly appreciated!
Come post over on the Britain forum (use the drop down nav menu at the top of the page to find us), lots of good answers there to your questions.

Bringing your cat will require some planning and expense, start your search for info on that at the DEFRA site:

Travelling with pets « Defra

Also, make sure your husband's company is going to sponsor your visa applications; start your visa info search here, but be advised you will need to click and click and click and click through several pages to get a clear picture of the things you need to know to prepare for the visa app process:

UK Border Agency | Home Page

Good luck, I hope things work out and you are able to enjoy an assignment here in the UK:)

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Come post over on the Britain forum (use the drop down nav menu at the top of the page to find us), lots of good answers there to your questions.

Bringing your cat will require some planning and expense, start your search for info on that at the DEFRA site:

Also, make sure your husband's company is going to sponsor your visa applications; start your visa info search here, but be advised you will need to click and click and click and click through several pages to get a clear picture of the things you need to know to prepare for the visa app process:

Good luck, I hope things work out and you are able to enjoy an assignment here in the UK:)
Yes- his company is sponsoring the visas. He qualifies under the intra-company transfer long-term employee. They have an office there and have sent us workers over before so they are well versed on the process.

I have looked into the pet import information & our kitty is due her shots next month but I went ahead & made the appointment to update her shots this month. Her vet is USDA & APHIS certified & said they do the international health certificates. I hate the idea of shipping our baby in cargo but don't have another option even if we took her on the ship. She still would have to stay in cargo there too. That is our biggest concern really. We don't want her to have too much of a traumatic experience going over.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts