Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys!

I hope everyone is doing well. Just a few quick questions:

I have a Spouse Visa, due to expire Oct 2014 (got in under old rules). Do I need to apply for ILR and if I do, will that mean I am giving up my US citizenship?

I understand that I need to take The Life in the UK test if I wish to apply for ILR.

My concern is that I don't want to give up my US citizenship. Is there a different application I can make that will give me the ability to stay in the UK, keeping my US citizenship?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Madtheyank

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
Hi Guys!

I hope everyone is doing well. Just a few quick questions:

I have a Spouse Visa, due to expire Oct 2014 (got in under old rules). Do I need to apply for ILR and if I do, will that mean I am giving up my US citizenship?
Yes, you need to apply for ILR if you wish to remain in the UK. No, it has nothing to do with your US citizenship. After 1 year on ILR you can apply for UK citizenship. You can be a dual citizen.

I understand that I need to take The Life in the UK test if I wish to apply for ILR.
Yes.

My concern is that I don't want to give up my US citizenship. Is there a different application I can make that will give me the ability to stay in the UK, keeping my US citizenship?
Again, you don't have to give up your US citizenship. It's your choice to give up US citizenship. Getting ILR or UK citizenship does not cause you to lose US citizenship.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts