Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a US citizen, my husband is a British citizen but holds a US Greencard. We have been married for 5 years and living in the US. Recently my mother died and we have no family left here. We want to move to the UK as he has a large family that we miss terribly. I have searched high and low on the best ways to do this but cant seem to find an explanation in layman's terms. To apply for the spouse visa I understand there is an income requirement. Here lies confusion part A. My W2 statement from last year states that I did in fact earn in excess of the 18600 pound requirement and my husband worked as well. Is that the proof I need to be approved? Or do they expect me to have 18600 in cash? Also, it was suggested we could go over to visit since Im allowed to stay up to 6 months without a visa and apply for the spousal visa once he gets employment making the required yearly amount (which he already has lined up). What do I do?

·
Super Moderator
18,072 Posts
You can't switch from a tourist visa to any other kind of visa. You need to apply from the U.S.

Your income can not be used to meet the financial requirement. Only the UK citizen's income matters. If your husband is currently earning £18,600/year and has a job lined up earning at least that in the UK and starting within 3 months of his return then you can apply now.

If he hasn't been earning that then he needs to work for 6 months in the UK earning that amount before you can apply.

Read through FM 1.7 to understand the options for meeting the financial requirement.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...pendix_FM_Annex_1_7_Financial_Requirement.pdf

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
o_O

Okay, that is the answer I was looking for. I know when he moved to the US he came here and stayed for 6 months (he used the visa waiver so there was no visa required). Then we were allowed to adjust his status without him leaving the country or anything since we were married and got his GC and SS number.. I wasnt sure if it worked in reverse or not. Of course if it wasnt for bad luck ID have none at all so I suppose it is par for the course..lol. Thanks!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Another way to get over the spouse visa financial requirement is that you have savings of £62500 or over. Is that an option for you?

Would it be a good idea for your husband to get American citizenship before he returns to the UK?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No way do we have 64k in savings..lol. We still have a 4 year wait period before he can apply for american citizenship. How is it that people living in the UK who were born in another EEA country have and easier time bringing their family over than someone who was born in the UK? I cant believe the British people arent in revolt over this...

·
Super Moderator
18,072 Posts
EU citizens have the right to live and work in any other EU country and bring their non-EU spouse. It's part of the bargain of being a member of the EU. It goes both ways.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.