Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

US citizen married to Brit moving to Spain

2470 Views 18 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  ukmocha
Hello all.
I am a UK citizen living with my husband in Manchester. He is a US citizen and is living here with me on a spouse visa which he was granted last June. We are hoping to move to Spain later this year and we are trying to find out how this will be possible as he is not an EU citizen. Since he is married to me (EU citizen) will he be able to simply apply for residency or will it be more complicated than this? Any help or advice will be much appreciated. Thanks!
1 - 2 of 19 Posts

I have just assisted someone with this and can recommend a goog law firm (dependig on the area, mins is in Costa Blanca).

You will need new copies of the marriage certificate (it must be less than 3 months old when it is submitted), you will need this legalsing in the country of issue and you will need various other stamps on it such as the british embassy and so on (check exactly with a lawyer as it does change fomr area to area).

Everything will need to be officially translated into Spanish also but your lawyers will be able to arange this.

Once applied for you shoudl be able to get a temporary NIE which will allow him to work in Spain. Obviously he has a right to be in Spain by the marriage but its still full of red tape and things to go through.

Aparently the whole process to be fully complete can take anything up to a year (or more) but once its all submitted and you get that NIE you are ok to live and work pending the full application being approved.
See less See more
wow - I didn't think it took that long!!

so as long as you get all your paperwork in order it's straightforward & you can work once it's submitted?
The lawyers doing the one for my client (shes english and hes from jamaica) said that they have one thats still ongoing after nearly 2 years! I think though like everything in Spain sometimes you get lucky and sometimes no!

Yes, my client finally got all the stuff done, translated, stamped by the relevant authorities in the UK, Jamaica, and Spain and then went the the lawyers to submit it.. they had a "temporary" NIE in a few days for him after this and he could begin working. :clap2: I guess then its just a case of wait for it to all be finalised!
1 - 2 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.