Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Please let me know if this is the wrong place for this post. Thanks.

I am a US citizen who has accepted a job in Beijing, China. My wife, however, is Korean and holds a green card. Since this move would likely last longer than a few years, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with what to do with the spouse's green card. It seems like with such a long leave, she would have to abandon it (and if we do decide to return to the US re-applying would be a big pain), but another option would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for the help.
Jonathan

·
Administrator
50,028 Posts
I know of people who have held onto their green cards while living overseas for a number of years - which they really aren't supposed to do. It's not easy and it can very quickly complicate your situation.

The sister in law of a friend of mine is facing some serious problems returning to the US after the family has been overseas working for a UN agency for many years. And there is the real possibility that she may not be able to get a new green card because she never properly surrendered her card when they left 20 years ago. The immigration people carry a grudge a LONG time.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 2 of 2 Posts