Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI there
I mostly live in London but have a USA address, too. I need to open a USA bank account so I can wire money from it to my UK account inexpensively (through HiFx or other exchange firms) from time to time and also use low-cost UK ATMs. Have been banking with BofA and am fed up! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you follow the FATCA threads on Facebook and other social media you will know that many US banks and most US brokers are refusing business from overseas Americans without APO/FPO addresses. Although some credit unions will accept your business you may find them unable to handle your fund wires. Don't close your existing account until you have a successful working arrangement elsewhere. It does make a difference if you have a valid US address and a US credit score, perhaps a US credit card.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your swift reply. Yes, I have a US address & credit card. I was just wondering if anyone had a bank they had used successfully for wire transactions, etc. I definitely won't close current account until I have new one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for your swift reply. Yes, I have a US address & credit card. I was just wondering if anyone had a bank they had used successfully for wire transactions, etc. I definitely won't close current account until I have new one.

USAA Bank in San Antonio has been recommended. If they will take your business as a nonmember of USAA and living overseas.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
I have an HSBC account in both the US and UK, and can transfer money globally without any fees

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
I did open the US account first, they also allowed me to open the UK account before moving (I had a permanent address in the UK at that time to live with my spouse). The requirements may have changed since then, I know banks now almost unanimously require proof of UK address before opening an account, but I chose HSBC specifically for the ability to transfer globally without fees

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.