Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi

1 - I have booked an interview appointment for B1 business visa on 26th May.. and I am flying out on 1st June

AM I correct in assuming that I will be receiving my passport and visa on same day ( if granted) ?

2 - My passport is going to expire in Sep 2015 which is less than six months if I am applying for visa in May - Is this going to be a problem ?

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
Please see my reply to your other post. There was really no need to start a separate thread. But I'll answer your questions here directly.

I have booked an interview appointment for B1 business visa on 26th May.. and I am flying out on 1st June
AM I correct in assuming that I will be receiving my passport and visa on same day ( if granted) ?
That would be extremely presumptuous. One should never make firm travel plans until any required visa is actually in hand.

My passport is going to expire in Sep 2015 which is less than six months if I am applying for visa in May - Is this going to be a problem ?
Yes, it will. The U.S. is one of the many countries that expects your passport to have at least 6 months of remaining validity when you try to enter, and measured from the date of your planned exit. You're not even going to meet that requirement when applying for a visa, so that's just not going to work.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please see my reply to your other post. There was really no need to start a separate thread. But I'll answer your questions here directly.

That would be extremely presumptuous. One should never make firm travel plans until any required visa is actually in hand.

But I had the collection date as same 26th.. BBC what do you think when the visa will be granted if my interview is on 26th may ?

Yes, it will. The U.S. is one of the many countries that expects your passport to have at least 6 months of remaining validity when you try to enter, and measured from the date of your planned exit. You're not even going to meet that requirement when applying for a visa, so that's just not going to work.
I am going to renew my passport before.. but US embassy can make some exceptions ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On what grounds should an exception be granted?
That I still have more than 3 months left on my passport and I will have the receipt for new passport renewal ?

So if I have a interview date of 26th May, will i b able to cllect passport next day so I can travel on 1st june ?

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I applied for a new US via last month, in Austria. Given that I was in a hotel, having gone to Austria simply because they had the shortest wait time, I asked if I could pick it up. They said sure, come back in two days.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
That I still have more than 3 months left on my passport and I will have the receipt for new passport renewal ?

So if I have a interview date of 26th May, will i b able to cllect passport next day so I can travel on 1st june ?
This is a public forum where members exchange personal experiences, links/quotes to official information an occasionally some XYZ. Only the respective US Embassy can tell you if and when you can pick up a visa. You are planning to use a different passport then the one you applied with?

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
That I still have more than 3 months left on my passport and I will have the receipt for new passport renewal ? So if I have a interview date of 26th May, will i b able to cllect passport next day so I can travel on 1st june ?
No, this (almost certainly) isn't going to work. The U.S. consulate is going to want your actual passport, with sufficient remaining validity. Even then a one day turnaround is quite unrealistic.

I would not be planning on a June 1 departure at this point, especially if you're not going to have a renewed passport to present on May 26.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts