Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Situation:

I am starting work in Sydney on a 457 visa. My wife and kid are US and Australian citizens. They have both passports. Last time when we were there, my kid exited Australia using the US passport (as the australian passport was in process).

Question:

1. Should she go to Australia now on her Australian passport, as we are staying there long term?
2. When we come to visit US, should she use her US passport?
3. Is their any authority that needs to be informed?

Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've held Australian and EU citizenship, and two passports, for years. I enter and leave Australia on my Aussie and enter and leave the EU on my EU passport.

1. Yes, Aussie citizens must enter Australia on their Australian passports. Besides the US passport would need an Aussie visa in it to be used to enter Australia, without it you wouldn't even been allowed to board the aircraft in the USA. Plus border control get very suspicious when they see stuff like that.

2. I imagine the USA is the same.

3. No, I've never had to.

·
Registered
351 Posts
In regards to this US/Australian passport question. When a US immigration officer asks upon entering the US to ask where did you travel to and for how long? When they view the US passport, there is no stamp entering or leaving Australia. The reason being the Australian passport was used. Would we have to state we also have an Australian passport? Or present the Australian passport too?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ah big brother knows more than you give him credit for;

I travel to the US frequently and use my EU passport having left Australia on my Aussie. In my experience when a US immigration officer asks that question it's to verify what they already know about your movements.

Australian passport control and Airline databases are linked to the US govt. databases.

When you present at the Airline check in before you leave Australia the US govt. database will tell them that your Aussie passport is not registered on ESTA for entry to the US so you will be asked to show the passport you intend to enter the US on, this instantly alerts the US govt that you gave two passports.

When you exit through Australian passport control on an Aussie passport this instantly tells the US database you left on an Aussie passport and the date of your last entry into Australia.

Passports are only identity documents, your movements are recorded between databases as some countries do not stamp passports, just a loose visa which they remove when you leave. So there is no record of that trip on your passport. They do this for security reasons designed to protect the passport holder, for example an Israeli stamp may cause problems in some other countries.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi Jayceee,

Thanks for letting us know how it all works. I think you are right about passports not being stamped to protect the passport holder. I feel that depending which city you enter the the US through immigration, some of the immigration officers that I had to line up to seemed intimidating even though I am a US passport holders and nothing to hide. But then again, I guess they have to be like that to protect the country.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.