Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am helping my fiancee to apply her 'fiance visa' in Singapore. I have no British passport but A UK PR(Permanent Residence). I am a sponsor in this visa application. I am sending some original documents to my fiancee for submit the application in Singapore. The only 3 files are not original copy are my passport, UK PR(Permanent Residence) card and driving licence. I having confusion as below. Please help. Many thanks.

1. I came cross the information that all files need to be certified if you are not submitting original copy, so I need to certify these 3 files. Am I correct?

2. Local post office can do the certify job, but does the file certified by the post office are all valid to this fiance visa application? is that acceptable to ECO? Or shoudl I find a layer to certify?

3. After checking, post office will endorsed with the words 'this copy is a true likeness of the original' and will be date stamped and signed. Is this enough and acceptable to visa application?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Your driving licence isn't needed

Passport and PR card don't need to be certified, UKVI can look up this information themselves to verify authenticity. They have your passport and immigration information on file.

·
Super Moderator
18,071 Posts

Passport and PR card don't need to be certified, UKVI can look up this information themselves to verify authenticity. They have your passport and immigration information on file.
The poster says he doesn't have a British passport. (I'm sure you just misread.). In which case his passport needs to be certified by the embassy or consulate.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Firstly thanks for your reply.

I having my Chinese passport, and no British Passport. Do all 3 files need to be certified? Thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your passport needs to be certified by your embassy or consulate.

Sorry, it is the first time I heard that via embassy or consulate?!! confusion !!!

Certify can be done via POST OFFICE, am I right?

Could you help with my posted 3 questions above? Much appreciated.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Hi,

You can certify any British documents at your local post office, but NOT your Chinese passport. You passport is NOT a British documents. So it MUST be certified by the country it belongs to, in your case, a photocopy of your passport must be certified by either at Chinese Embassy in London or at a consulate (a branch of the Embassy) in Manchester or Edinburgh or Belfast, whichever is closer to you.

As said above, you don't need to send a copy of your driving license, so ignore that. Just send uncertified copy of your resident permit and the Chinese Embassy/Consulate certified copy of your passport. That's all!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,

You can certify any British documents at your local post office, but NOT your Chinese passport. You passport is NOT a British documents. So it MUST be certified by the country it belongs to, in your case, a photocopy of your passport must be certified by either at Chinese Embassy in London or at a consulate (a branch of the Embassy) in Manchester or Edinburgh or Belfast, whichever is closer to you.

As said above, you don't need to send a copy of your driving license, so ignore that. Just send uncertified copy of your resident permit and the Chinese Embassy/Consulate certified copy of your passport. That's all!
I really appreciated your reply, I would like to trust this but it is the first time I heard that none-british passport need to go to embassy or consulate??? I really doubt about this. What is the fact? And why you saying resident permit do not need certify? Can I just send all the photocopies including copy of passport with out any certify?

Is there any offical link can be have a look? Many thanks.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I don't think theres any links for a lookup.

Resident permit was issued by the Home Office and your applying visa at the same place. So they can cross check your status and validity in the UK with the copy of your RP. Therefore you don't have to certify that.

Now, in regards to your passport, it could be the fact that Home Office wants to confirm that you have not lost your passport or have not made any changes to biometric data on you passport and it is still valid etc. Its the normal practice amongst the diplomats asking for a certified copy of passports, unless you're submitting the original.

I think you should focus on giving what they asking for, rather than asking for a reason to avoid certifying. Certifying your passport would help you a lot in the future in many other ways.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Resident permit was issued by the Home Office and your applying visa at the same place. So they can cross check your status and validity in the UK with the copy of your RP. Therefore you don't have to certify that.

Now, in regards to your passport, it could be the fact that Home Office wants to confirm that you have not lost your passport or have not made any changes to biometric data on you passport and it is still valid etc. Its the normal practice amongst the diplomats asking for a certified copy of passports, unless you're submitting the original.

I think you should focus on giving what they asking for, rather than asking for a reason to avoid certifying. Certifying your passport would help you a lot in the future in many other ways.
Thanks for your information, but it is breaking news to me as the not original files I courier to my fiances are Only these 3 files, I was told can be easily certify in POST OFFICEL. Now you told me I have to go to China Embassy in UK for certify, which will take few days as well.

My original plan is courier all my file to my fiance next week!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I can't find the offical requirement for Chinese passport certify need to be done in China Embassy, but I was original reading from https://www.gov.uk/certifying-a-document, it does not say any passport certify difference.? Why?

·
Super Moderator
18,071 Posts
I can't find the offical requirement for Chinese passport certify need to be done in China Embassy, but I was original reading from https://www.gov.uk/certifying-a-document, it does not say any passport certify difference.? Why?

Because that's information for UK citizens/passport holders. The post office is trained to recognise authentic UK passports. They do not know anything about passports from other countries.

·
Registered
474 Posts
...... Now you told me I have to go to China Embassy in UK for certify, which will take few days as well......
Are you outside the UK at the moment? You can certify a copy in any country, if theres an Embassy/Consulate for China.

If you're in the UK, the first thing you should do now, not delaying further, give a call to the embassy and find out what documents you need to take with your to certify your passport copy and also ask them if you could get it done in the same day.

Good luck

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Because that's information for UK citizens/passport holders. The post office is trained to recognise authentic UK passports. They do not know anything about passports from other countries.
Thanks for your reply. I phoned immigration office today and they guide me to the same website for certifying a document I mentioned above, https://www.gov.uk/certifying-a-document, they said as long as it is certified by the listed person should be fine. And I went to post office today and got all 3 files certified, and the post office person told me she also certified some foreign passport in the past and they all fine.

Now I got my 3 files certified by post office but very contradictory as post office is not on the list and i am not sure it is valid to the applicaition.

second point is that they all different as what you said(need to be done by china ambassy). VERY CONFUSION

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you outside the UK at the moment? You can certify a copy in any country, if theres an Embassy/Consulate for China.

If you're in the UK, the first thing you should do now, not delaying further, give a call to the embassy and find out what documents you need to take with your to certify your passport copy and also ask them if you could get it done in the same day.

Good luck

Thanks for your reply.I am in UK and got them done this today via post office.I phoned immigration office today and they guide me to the same website for certifying a document I mentioned above, https://www.gov.uk/certifying-a-document, they said as long as it is certified by the listed person should be fine. And I went to post office today and got all 3 files certified, and the post office person told me she also certified some foreign passport in the past and they all fine.

Now I got my 3 files certified by post office but very contradictory as post office is not on the list and i am not sure it is valid to the applicaition.

second point is that they all different as what you said(need to be done by china ambassy). VERY CONFUSION

·
Super Moderator
18,071 Posts
The post office are not immigration experts. Unfortunately, the helpline is run by a 3rd party and they often give incorrect information. Only your embassy or consulate can certify your passport.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The post office are not immigration experts. Unfortunately, the helpline is run by a 3rd party and they often give incorrect information. Only your embassy or consulate can certify your passport.
Thanks for your reply . I am really piss off now as I do not know what I should follow by now? I even think about to courier my original passport to my fiancee with other files when I courier her. Would you recommand this?:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I try to convince myself to go to the right channel to get it done. But I really do not know what I should do. I really would like to see some evidence or rule in written if possible.

Can you please let me know the website, source or even other post or experience for the no UK passport need to be certify in their embassy? i

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i try to convince myself to go to the right channel to get it done. But i really do not know what i should do. I really would like to see some evidence or rule in written if possible.

Can you please let me know the website, source or even other post or experience for the no uk passport need to be certify in their embassy? I
any one please help. Many thanks.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.