Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am completing the online form vaf4a for my wife after completing it by hand first but I have just noticed on the online form section spouse/partner it asks for things like passport number, nationality, family name, given names and date of birth ....
it doesn't state for who.
Is the details for myself the sponsor/husband required or for the applicant my wife.
I am looking to submit online today on behalf of my wife and am stuck on this section

They have not been clear enough.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm on the section where it comes under spouse/partner
Really confusing online
Was more straight forward on printed form
It asks martial status then if partner will be travelling with you
And randomly passport number and stuff with no info who's details

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Under where it say given names in same section it say if they have only have one name in help box it states if you ???

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
The sponsor section is asking for your details. but if the question refers to you, they mean your wife. Just read it as if she is filling out the form, that is the intention.

Yes, in the sponsor section they ask if your sponsor will be travelling with you (in this case, your wife).

·
Super Moderator
18,088 Posts
Salix has explained that everything is from the applicant's point of view and until you get to the sponsor section which is apparently Section 6 everything is about the applicant. Salix has actually filled out the online form.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It is confusing to start with.
Luckily I could travel to see my wife as she filled this in. We had discussions about the questions.
No it refers to me, no it refers to me the sponsor etc.

not very clear at all. My 5 year old could have made it clearer.

Especially the question about me, the British citizen, 'When did you arrive to the UK?'
What???
When I came out of my mother!! What a joke.

·
Super Moderator
18,088 Posts
Especially the question about me, the British citizen, 'When did you arrive to the UK?'
What???
When I came out of my mother!! What a joke.
It's a perfectly reasonable question. Not all British citizens were born in the UK. For example, you can have been born to British parents abroad in which case you would have arrived at some point after birth or like me, you could be a naturalised British citizen.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It's a perfectly reasonable question. Not all British citizens were born in the UK. For example, you can have been born to British parents abroad in which case you would have arrived at some point after birth or like me, you could be a naturalised British citizen.
Its needs to be rephrased! They have not put 1 second of thought into these questions!

If you were not born in the UK....

·
Registered
480 Posts
It seems to be the case with some of the questions in these forms that they only make sense in some of the potential situations that people might be filling them out in, and not others - not good and adds to the stress. There are a few things that I'd have put bad answers for if I'd followed the form's instructions literally rather than the advice on this forum.

·
Registered
39,148 Posts
Yes, there is usually only one form to complete covering a number of different situations. So some questions relate to your situation but not others, or you have to answer them in a certain way reflecting your circumstances. All this is stressful, but because of the increasing complexity of immigration rules, and unless they start issuing different forms for different people, you have no choice but to be extra careful when filling in, asking advice where needed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Understandably it is a difficult task drawing up questions that need to be applied to a wide category of people, each with different circumstances.

However, considering how exuberant the UK visa prices are ($1400 for UK fiancee visa vs $260 for US, despite the requirements being exactly the same) and how high the possibility of rejection is the forms should be much clearer. I found may of the questions did not have an option for fiancee and was worded ambiguously. Considering incorrectly answering a question can lead to refusal, I think the UK authorities need to re-think the lay out of the application and it's questions.

·
Registered
39,148 Posts
UK visa fees are no higher than Australia's.
About 90% of visa applications are approved, so most people get it right.

·
Registered
16 Posts
UK visa fees are no higher than Australia's.
About 90% of visa applications are approved, so most people get it right.
Didn't realize Australia's was that high. I was comparing to US (K-1 fiancee visa application fee is $260) and Canada who's Spouse visa fee is $390.

Also a 90% acceptance rate is excellent to hear, while I worriedly await my fiancee visa :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.