Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I got my ACS results today and have a +ve assessment.

I would like to know if I can include my spouse skills for getting additional points.

In the immigration site it is mentioned as follows:
Partner skills
You can receive five points if, when you are invited to apply for this visa, your partner provides evidence that they:
• were under 50 years of age
• had at least competent English
• had nominated an occupation on the same skilled occupation list as your nominated occupation
• had been assessed by the relevant assessing authority as having suitable skills for the nominated occupation.

Following are the educational qualification and experience details of my spouse:

Education : Bachelors of engineering in Electrical and Electronics
Work Profile:
1) Technical Support Officer - BPO Technical Support - 1 Year
2) Computer System administrator - 5 Years

My spouse is under 50 years of age and has an overall 6 in IELTS.

As per ACS skills assesement they deduct 2 years, in which case my spouse will have total of 4 years.

Will the above help in getting points, if so I have to expedite the process of getting the assessment done, as I have my ACS results and dont have to wait for more.

Thanks!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Hi,
You can claim points for her experience if here occupation falls under the same SOL as yours.
check the occupation ceilings where your occupation is listed. if here occupation code is also mentioned in the SOL then you can claim 5 points if you meet the other criteria's.
if for example you are under software engineer which is under the SOL and your wife is a software tester then you cannot claim 5 points.
but if your wife is a software programmer then you can claim as both fall under the same SOL.
hope this helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
You can claim points for her experience if here occupation falls under the same SOL as yours.
check the occupation ceilings where your occupation is listed. if here occupation code is also mentioned in the SOL then you can claim 5 points if you meet the other criteria's.
if for example you are under software engineer which is under the SOL and your wife is a software tester then you cannot claim 5 points.
but if your wife is a software programmer then you can claim as both fall under the same SOL.
hope this helps.
Thanks for your response. According to what you said, I am not sure if I can claim points.

I am a software engineer and my spouse is a System Administrator which is listed in the sol under 263111 and mine is under 261313(software engineer) and they both are different.

In this case, there is not point in applying ACS for my spouse?

·
Registered
960 Posts
Thanks for your response. According to what you said, I am not sure if I can claim points.

I am a software engineer and my spouse is a System Administrator which is listed in the sol under 263111 and mine is under 261313(software engineer) and they both are different.

The occupations have to be same SOL not same skill code

·
Registered
973 Posts
You can very well claim 5 points for her.

Both your occupations codes should be under the SOL. this means it can be different but under the SOL for 2015.
as you mentioned both your occupations are listed under the SOL so you can claim points for her skills.
if she was a software tester then you can see her occupation is not under the same SOL as your (then and only then you could not claim 5 points)

Reactions: Sin86

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The occupations have to be same SOL not same skill code
One more doubt is that my spouse has done engineering in Electrical and Electronics. Will they deduct 4 years from his total experience or 2 years?

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Sin86,

Assuming you are applying for 189, you will have to get your spouse assessed under 263111 which is on SOL. 262113 won't do because it is not on the SOL.

5 years of experience is enough for BE EE as in the wort cases, they will deduct 4 years which is fine. Partner does not need any experience points. Just a positive assessment.

Also, you mentioned overall 6 in IELTS which will not work. Partner needs to have 6+ in all modules.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your response KeeDa . It was clear. My spouse has 7 in all except for reading. He has 6.8 in reading

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Correction, 7.5 overall. Reading - 9 , Listening 6.5 , Writing - 7 , Speaking - 7.5.. Hope that qualifies..

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Yes, qualifies for the English test requirement. Now remains the positive assessment in any occupation from SOL. Closest I can see is 263111

1 - 10 of 10 Posts