Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've initially planned to quit my current masters degree, and apply for PR during my 28 days BVA. - I need to work full time and earn proper living.

I've put in an application to withdraw from the course, and I've applied for my PR tonight.

Problem is, I just found out my application for quitting the degree has not been completed, and I still hold a student visa.

Now the new BVA is tied to my current student visa, and as soon as my student visa expired, I'm screwed and I would have to leave the country.

WHAT DO I DO?
Can I withdraw my application and re-submit it once student visa is cancelled?
Will withdrawing my application result in cancellation of my whole EOI-INVITATION?

please help me if anyone is awake!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Don't withdraw 189 because once your student visa expires, the BVA which is tied to the substantive visa (sc500) will be in effect with the right to live and work. So no need to leave Australia. You were lucky that your student visa withdrawal didn't come through because even if you could lodge 189 in the 28 days, due to lack of substantive visa, you may be granted BVC which initially has no right to work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For the second question, Yes you need to go through the EOI and invitation process AGAIN!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For the second question, Yes you need to go through the EOI and invitation process AGAIN!!
**** now that is a trouble.

My student via is gonna be cancelled anytime soon.
Can I apply for another student visa (lower degree for 6 months) and keep my student visa status active?

cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Why do you want to apply for another student visa after this one expires while you have BVA and right to live and work? If they cancel it the story is different because cancelation of a visa not only affects your future citizenship application, but also you will be granted BVE, again with no right to work. My advice is that keep your sc500 until it expires and don't quit your course until your 189 is granted

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why do you want to apply for another student visa after this one expires while you have BVA and right to live and work? If they cancel it the story is different because cancelation of a visa not only affects your future citizenship application, but also you will be granted BVE, again with no right to work. My advice is that keep your sc500 until it expires and don't quit your course until your 189 is granted

The only reason is because I am running out of funds to continue my degree, and I need to start working full time for a living.

Doing a lower degree to keep student visa status would cost me 2600 dollars for 6 months (with 2 classes per week). Continuing my current masters degree would cost 18000 dollars.

Can I obtain BVE easily?

·
Registered
12 Posts
1) Again, you have no right to work under the BVE so dropping the course is not helpful in order to cover expenses.
2) Downgrading the course is not easy and I am not sure if it's permitted under your current visa conditions re the course you enrolled in, the institution you enrolled in, etc
3)You will be normally granted BVE automatically once they cancel sc500. If not, you should personally go to the DIBP office and it takes 15 min to get it. BUT do it quick before their closing hour of the same day your sc500 is cancelled because after 12 am you are considered as an unlawful non-citizen

Reactions: koala9847
1 - 7 of 7 Posts