Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am using the 2 euro free mobile phone package. Somehow on my phone's screen is showing limited service only. Now I cannot make a call, receive calls or texts. It is urgent because I gave my cell number to a sub-prefectre so they can text me when my carte de sejouner is ready.

Has anyone experienced this?

Can you please tell me how to unlock my phone so it works again? My French is not very functional at a moment.

Many thanks,

Pitima

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
You have't said whether it once worked and now doesn't, or never did. Was it activated?

You ask about unlocking your phone. If it is locked, you would have to speak to the operator from whom you bought it.

Phone them. Ask (in French) if there's an English speaking operator. Chances are that there will be one.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
This has happened to me a few times. I found that switching it off completely and then switching it on again solved the problem.

Otherwise you need to contact Free.

·
Administrator
50,411 Posts
Where did you get your phone from? If it's locked to your former provider, that could be the problem. (Also remember that you have to activate the SIM Free sends you - go onto the website, log into your Free account and there should be an indication of how to activate your SIM online.)

Free provides information on their site about getting your phone unlocked, but it only applies to French phone providers. If your phone is from your US provider, it could be tricky getting it done over here.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
47 Posts
Has anyone experienced this?

Can you please tell me how to unlock my phone so it works again? My French is not very functional at a moment.
I did this to my free mobile when I put the pin code in wrong 3 times (the default is 1234 btw - I was convinced it was 0000).

To fix it you need to put in the PUK number which is on the back of your card your sim came in or if you have lost it you can get it from https://mobile.free.fr/moncompte/

It is 20 characters long and there is no way you can guess it.

If you have lost your original card and can't remember your log-on details (they send them to you by email when you sign-up) then you'll have to call them. For me though after typing in the PUK code the phone started working after 5 minutes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your suggestions. I am going to try all of your suggestions. Fingers crossed. Will let you know.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, to update everyone. I simply took the battery out and waited a few minutes. I put it back in and it asked me to put in a security code which is 1234 and voila it works! I feel silly. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Glad it wasn't more serious! I don't even take out the battery, just switching it off and then re-entering the pin code does it.

Don't know why it happens tho'.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
don't feel silly. I don't how long you've been here (in France) but things can all seem mysterious at first. It's hard to know what's just a simple fix or what is something you're not understanding because it's new (also because your French is limited).

Glad it was an easy fix!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts