Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I arrived in Dubai from the UK just last week for a new job, yesterday I got news of a family member really not doing too well so I must get back to the UK in the next day or two.

I brought it up with my employer who was initially supportive, but has now said I will have to pay the visa cancellation costs / emergency visa cancellation costs ect.

I have no spare money to do this and can barely afford my flight home, I've been told that I won't actually be able to leave Dubai airport as my employment visa is being processed. Is this the case? My family are more important than any job and I will happily just leave this evening if I actually can.

Just need to know if I'm going to get arrested at the airport if I just go and try to leave today.

A quick response would be greatly appreciaed.

Thanks,

LUke

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
So rather than grant you emergency compassionate leave, they'd rather try and rip you off for a few thousand, sickening They're trying it on. If you have your passport in your possession, go home. Family difficulties aside, it sounds like you've had a touch with these jokers too as who knows what stunts they would've pulled further down the line.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I have my passport, just been told here that I may be held in the airport as my Residence visa is still being processed. I have a feeling they might just be saying that to keep me here.

If there's the slightest incline that I can get away tonight then I will be gone!

I am so desperate to leave, just the thought of being trapped in the airport/jail is even worse than having to stay here.

Really am in bits, any more advice would be appreciated SO much.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
You will NOT be arrested if you try to leave. The worst case scenario will be that they don't let yo board the plane. You won't be "trapped" at the airport - you will be allowed to leave.

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Yes I have my passport, just been told here that I may be held in the airport as my Residence visa is still being processed. I have a feeling they might just be saying that to keep me here.

If there's the slightest incline that I can get away tonight then I will be gone!

I am so desperate to leave, just the thought of being trapped in the airport/jail is even worse than having to stay here.

Really am in bits, any more advice would be appreciated SO much.
Why don't you call the DNRD and ask them? At worst I think the process of the residence visa being processed would get cancelled but I doubt you would be held at the airport. A police case would need to be filed against you for that, and your employer can't file a case for this, is not a criminal offence, you haven't done anything after all!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You will NOT be arrested if you try to leave. The worst case scenario will be that they don't let yo board the plane. You won't be "trapped" at the airport - you will be allowed to leave.
Thanks rsinner, probably a stupid question but would I then get a refund on the flight? I'll literally be spending every dirham I have to get home so I could potentially be stuck here with no money at all!

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Thanks rsinner, probably a stupid question but would I then get a refund on the flight? I'll literally be spending every dirham I have to get home so I could potentially be stuck here with no money at all!
It really depends on the conditions of the fare, which is why I am suggesting you get a fully refundable ticket with Emirates. From experience is much easier to make changes and get refunds with them than it is with any other airlines. If you get the cheapest fare say with BA it will usually come with stricter restrictions and that means no refunds in case of a no show. A fully refundable ticket will be more expensive but at least you won't lose your money if you're not allowed to board.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And get a refundable ticket with Emirates, just in case.
I wish! I have 750 aed to my name, am going to have to head to Cash Converters to sell my laptop to sell my laptop to even get close to affording a Saudia/Gulf flight.

It really is a bleak situation!

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
I wish! I have 750 aed to my name, am going to have to head to Cash Converters to sell my laptop to sell my laptop to even get close to affording a Saudia/Gulf flight.

It really is a bleak situation!
Can't you put it on a credit card? Borrow money from friends back home? :(

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
As Dizzy says, you have not broken any laws. And I'm pretty sure a company isn't allowed to ask for visa costs back anyway, not 100% on this but regardless this isn't a financial/criminal case.

Chances are your paperwork is still sitting in the PRO's desk, they don't expect you to come back and looking to make a few grand out of your misery.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
As I understand it, they are just asking for cancellation fees? You have your passport but have handed in your pink slip you got at the airport? Have you been for a blood test? I don't think they have started the process yet so you will be paying to cancel your pink slip. That's not hugely expensive. Where I think you do have a problem is that you only have two working days left this week and then there's a four day holiday (or possibly more according to what some people on this forum think). I'd say you could just go. The company will just be left with your name on their TL for six months before they can clear it. For them, that will mean they have one less visa space for that period. I really would suggest calling MoL first thing in the morning and asking them, but I'm pretty sure this is correct.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts