Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please can anyone help. I registered my car for its french plates and was told to leave a blank cheque with them. All was ok and had all the correct paperwork (I have a kia sportage) and the carte Grise arrived ok but the amount is €3166.50 - which they've taken by cheque. The Y3 part of the document is €2700. I thought they'd been a major error but since then I am doubting myself. Could this amount be correct? Please help. I'm totally screwed!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Please can anyone help. I registered my car for its french plates and was told to leave a blank cheque with them. All was ok and had all the correct paperwork (I have a kia sportage) and the carte Grise arrived ok but the amount is €3166.50 - which they've taken by cheque. The Y3 part of the document is €2700. I thought they'd been a major error but since then I am doubting myself. Could this amount be correct? Please help. I'm totally screwed!
Who did you give your blank cheque to ? The Prefecture ?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
400€ would have been very very cheap. This is a one-off payment, remember - don't know how much your annual road tax is in the UK, but if say £250 a year, if you keep the car for 15 years or so you'll have broken even. Hence why the French don't change their cars unless they have to.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you. I've no problem with the way the French do it. It's my mistake for being unprepared. I'm only in france with work for 12 months (a military posting via the French Air Force) so in my case, it's an expensive unpreparedness!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hi yes I did. And I thought I'd calculated the costs. I knew it would be around €400. The car is new this year.
I am very surprised that the Prefecture did not fill in the cheque in front of you.
May be worth going to the Prefecture and ask why it was not filled out in front of you.

In 2009 when I registered a classic car here I paid by mastercard !

·
Registered
800 Posts
Ouch !

Unfortunately you failed to take into account the bonus/malus system here in France.

Le bonus-malus écologique au 1er janvier 2013 | Portail du Gouvernement

Evidently your car is a relatively high polluter in the 186-190gm/km category and that means a malus of €3000 reduced by 10% for each year since first registration hence the charge of €2700.

Not sure why the prefecture wanted a blank cheque though as there is no reason why they should have been able to work out the cost on the spot.

In hindsight you could have probably bought a car in France and then sold it at the end of your year and shown less loss.

C'est la vie !

·
Registered
68 Posts
My car was new this year and cost 460e for the carte grise..& I have a chelsea tractor

Below is the puissance admin for my car, a new peugeot 4008 2litre..

Puissance administrative nationale (or puissance fiscale) = 8 (the charges are calculated like 60e or so mulitplied by this no - put you can find this out online at the prefecture website - there is a calculator)

I would find the puissance admin and all the rest of the stats on the carte grise amount for your car either in the car documents or google and double check what they put on your carte grise..sounds bit odd 2500e....unless your driving a 20yr powerful old range rover...

Furthermore blank cheque is odd...very odd..but mybe a clue to what happened. .. inexperienced carte grise person?

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
My car was new this year and cost 460e for the carte grise..& I have a chelsea tractor

Below is the puissance admin for my car, a new peugeot 4008 2litre..

Puissance administrative nationale (or puissance fiscale) = 8 (the charges are calculated like 60e or so mulitplied by this no - put you can find this out online at the prefecture website - there is a calculator)

I would find the puissance admin and all the rest of the stats on the carte grise amount for your car either in the car documents or google and double check what they put on your carte grise..sounds bit odd 2500e....unless your driving a 20yr powerful old range rover...

Furthermore blank cheque is odd...very odd..but mybe a clue to what happened. .. inexperienced carte grise person?
I agree - a 2012 Kia Sportage should never be in that range, I would check the details on the Carte Grise again.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Are you sure that that amount didn't include also the TVA liable for the import?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Nice website matamata..I shall store that one for future use...

..crikey so yes it could be correct, depending what model you have...I m hoping the original poster has the mid range model & not the all dancing & singing with bells attached top model :s

Good luck...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ouch !

Unfortunately you failed to take into account the bonus/malus system here in France.

Le bonus-malus écologique au 1er janvier 2013 | Portail du Gouvernement

Evidently your car is a relatively high polluter in the 186-190gm/km category and that means a malus of €3000 reduced by 10% for each year since first registration hence the charge of €2700.

Not sure why the prefecture wanted a blank cheque though as there is no reason why they should have been able to work out the cost on the spot.

In hindsight you could have probably bought a car in France and then sold it at the end of your year and shown less loss.

C'est la vie !

Actually matamata upon further investigation, isn t this malus payable at the garage at the site of the original transaction, I saw on the government portail that the bonus malus ecological is an amount added or deducted to the price of the car as part of a tax.

It shouldn't affect the carte grise. which is on average 40e x fiscal admin...I could be completely wrong, I m just learning this system too....correct me if i am wrong...

I m interested to see where the error lies, I had a few problems with my carte grise, but due to the garage claiming I wasn t entitled to one due to me being english...and not french...I had a right laugh and told him to change his attitude or I ll report him to the police for racism. (I like to see people squirm).

Furthermore would the TVA import not be due at dounces and not at the prefecture? it would be a different cheque if it was at the prefecture....and a different dept? the french admin system are riddled with depts :D it would be too efficient too combine depts..

I would go to and speak to one of your french air force colleagues, they would be only too happy to help I reckon...imagine if the shoe was on the other foot in the UK...I would be enraged....

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
It shouldn't affect the carte grise. which is on average 40e x fiscal admin....
I suspect that the average figure of 40€ that you have seen quote is PER FISCAL HP. There are not many cars that have only one fiscal horsepower. You multiply your department's rate per fiscal hp by the number of fiscal horsepower of your car, e.g. if you have a 2 fiscal horsepower car and the rate for your dept is 40€ per cheval fisc, you would pay 80€, if you have 10 chevaux fisc it would cost 400€.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone. It's is a very expensive and devastating mistake on my part. The cart grise is correct with what I have been charged. As I said I thought I was so organised and can't believe I over looked this. By law I was told I had to register my car in France but I permanently leave in late 2014. As the tax I have paid covers me for ten years does anybody know if I may be able to apply for a refund when I re-register in the UK?

All of your advice is kind but it all seems correct. Following on from what someone said I was wrong to leave a blank cheque but was told I had too. I speak good french but it doesn't come to me naturally (I have to think about what I am saying etc) and with the large queue... Well, it's a massive mistake but a tough one..

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
The registration fee covers the fee for as long as you own it in France, no less and no more, unfortunately.

Unless you love your car very much you might be able to recoup some of the money if you sell it in France when you leave and buy another car when you get back to the UK. Second hand car prices in France are much higher than in the UK, and probably even for a RHD you might still get more in France than you would pay for the same model in the UK. (But unfortunately the new owner would need to pay another registration fee...)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Out of interest what part of your car made it so expensive?

I think you would of got away with driving uk plates for 1 yr....I did it for 2....doesn t help though right?

I am sorry that it happened to you....hope it doesnt make you resent your time here...

Enjoy your wheels...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.