Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am a Norwegian travelling to Melbourne for an exchange semester.

My flight leaves tomorrow afternoon and is not changable. Due to a combination of bad planning and bad luck, my student visa is still not granted. I'm currently waiting for the medicals to be cleared, which I expect them to be tomorrow. However, I fear that the visa wont be granted before my flight leaves because there probably has to happen som processing after the medicals are cleared. If the visa is not granted before the flight leaves, I think I'll be unable to board the flight according to the Air Travel page on border . gov . au.

The visa grant is right around the corner as the processing times for the non-award sector is very quick (my buddies who didn't need a medical got theirs after a day), which makes this a very frustrating situation.

My question is if I can apply for an eVisitor 651 or an ETA 601 now, which I have read will be granted very quickly, so that I either 1) can board my flight, and maybe the student visa will be granted by the time I arrive (27 hour flight) so I in fact can arrive on the student visa or 2) board the flight and enter on the 651 or 601, and then just get my 500 after a copule of days and sort of "convert" to that.

The thing that makes me unsure about the 2) is that I really don't have a tourist purpose, as I am going to study. However I know that you can study for up to 3 months on these visas, and although I'm studying for longer than 3 months, I am certain that my student visa will be granted before the semester starts (which is 20 days from now). So my purpose is not in fact to study on the eVisitor or the ETA, and at least not for longer than 3 months.

I have googled like crazy and still not found any answers to this. I have tried reaching the Europe Service Center all day, but it's busy all the time and I'm not getting through. Therefore I would very much appreciate if anybody has any knowledge on this topic.

Of course the worst thing that happens is that I have to book a new flight, but as this will cost me like 1000 USD so I hope I can avoid that.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Hi,

I am a Norwegian travelling to Melbourne for an exchange semester.

My flight leaves tomorrow afternoon and is not changable. Due to a combination of bad planning and bad luck, my student visa is still not granted. I'm currently waiting for the medicals to be cleared, which I expect them to be tomorrow. However, I fear that the visa wont be granted before my flight leaves because there probably has to happen som processing after the medicals are cleared. If the visa is not granted before the flight leaves, I think I'll be unable to board the flight according to the Air Travel page on border . gov . au.

The visa grant is right around the corner as the processing times for the non-award sector is very quick (my buddies who didn't need a medical got theirs after a day), which makes this a very frustrating situation.

My question is if I can apply for an eVisitor 651 or an ETA 601 now, which I have read will be granted very quickly, so that I either 1) can board my flight, and maybe the student visa will be granted by the time I arrive (27 hour flight) so I in fact can arrive on the student visa or 2) board the flight and enter on the 651 or 601, and then just get my 500 after a copule of days and sort of "convert" to that.

The thing that makes me unsure about the 2) is that I really don't have a tourist purpose, as I am going to study. However I know that you can study for up to 3 months on these visas, and although I'm studying for longer than 3 months, I am certain that my student visa will be granted before the semester starts (which is 20 days from now). So my purpose is not in fact to study on the eVisitor or the ETA, and at least not for longer than 3 months.

I have googled like crazy and still not found any answers to this. I have tried reaching the Europe Service Center all day, but it's busy all the time and I'm not getting through. Therefore I would very much appreciate if anybody has any knowledge on this topic.

Of course the worst thing that happens is that I have to book a new flight, but as this will cost me like 1000 USD so I hope I can avoid that.
I am not an agent and I can't tell if everything I am saying is right.

But from my understanding, the newest visa overrides the previous one.

So, lets assume you are going for holiday to Aus tomorrow and if you don't get student visa before your tourist visa runs out, you will come back.

On that assumption, I would say get the eVisa and save the ticket and go to Aus and once you get student visa, enroll to uni/college.

But I don't think your tourist visa allows you to enroll or study, so don't even try to do that. The study or enroll mentioned is short course or language learning not full fledged full time study. So, go to Aus, wait for student visa and then enroll and study. Good luck !

Edit: The assumption is that your applying for tourist visa will not complicate the student visa cos you applied for student visa first. If that's the case, then you have to give up flight tomorrow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

That's right, I still haven't enrolled since I have to get my visa first.

I also think what you are saying is right. You can actually apply for a student visa from Australia while on a tourist visa, so it would make sense that you can arrive on a tourist visa while waiting for the processing of the student visa.

I just want to be certain, so that I don't risk being deported and banned for giving false information, since I'm applying for a tourist visa while actually intending to study. – 1000 USD is not worth it.

What I could say on the border is that I'm a tourist, and if my student visa is granted, I plan to study, which in fact is the situation. Then I'm not misleading them, and my purpose is in fact to be a tourist on the tourist visa.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

That's right, I still haven't enrolled since I have to get my visa first.

I also think what you are saying is right. You can actually apply for a student visa from Australia while on a tourist visa, so it would make sense that you can arrive on a tourist visa while waiting for the processing of the student visa.

I just want to be certain, so that I don't risk being deported and banned for giving false information, since I'm applying for a tourist visa while actually intending to study. – 1000 USD is not worth it.

What I could say on the border is that I'm a tourist, and if my student visa is granted, I plan to study, which in fact is the situation. Then I'm not misleading them, and my purpose is in fact to be a tourist on the tourist visa.
If I were you and don't want to take any risk, I would give up $1000 and wait for the student visa to come. You don't want to be barred or anything for $1000 flight cost.

One thing to consider even though you are saying you are going as a tourist, you also applied for student visa before which is waiting approval. So, not sure if that will be a conflict of your intentions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see your point, but I would say it won't be a conflict of intentions if my intention with the tourist visa is to be a tourist –*I will only study if the student visa is granted. I won't even be able to enrol without a student visa. So if by any chance the student visa would not be granted I will just have to return home. My point is that on the tourist visa I will only be a tourist.

That line of argument is convincing to me, although I see that somebody else could see it differently. But since you can actually apply for a student visa while in Australia on a tourist visa, I don't quite see why it shouldn't be possible to arrive on a tourist visa while waiting for the student visa to be processed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there, may I know your current status on your visa application? Did u apply eta and flew to australia before your student visa approval? I'm kinda having the same situation right now.. appreciate if you can answer me asap..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts