Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  twowheelsgood 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have browsed this forum for months but have never needed to post- until now!

I am a new arrival in Dubai, I arrived here last monday as a teacher. The package was shared accommodation but I am the first arrival.
Upon arrival I discovered the apartment was a shambles (migrant workers apartment in sharjah!) and promptly threatened to leave.

I have now been given our accommodation allowance and have two weeks to locate a 3bed apartment.

So basically, the budget is 130,000dh and i need some urgent advice about where to rent- personally as near to the metro as possible is what I'm looking for as none of us drive- and any reputable agents/developments.

Thanks in advance :)

#3 ·
Where will you be working
At 130,000 it gives you just over AED1000 pcm.
What about DEWA?
Do you have a visa? as you cannot sign a tenancy without one.

Beware bad agents that do not even turn up for viewings.
Establish as much as you can from the agent, draw up a list of questions as it easy to forget to ask something crucial. Who will pay the agency fees?

#5 ·
I gather you are sharing this apartment with two other teachers and your collective allowance is 130,000.

As someone else pointed out, who will pay the agent's fee (5%) and the deposit (5%)? You or the school. That's stiff change on 130,000. Dewa? District cooling?

Where is the school?

I took a look at Dubizzle and it seems the only areas with 3-bedroom apartments in your budget and near the metro are in Deira with a smattering in Bur Dubai. Looks like there's a few near Deira City Centre, which has a bunch of newish buildings around it and should be fine and there's the handy access to the metro stop plus the mall. Another possible area is Al Qusais.

Otherwise the rest of the 3-beds under 130K are in Dubailand, such as RemRaam and IMPZ. You will absolutely need a car if you live out there.

If you're willing to be creative and willing to sacrifice some comfort, there are a number of 2 bed + maid's apartments in the Marina and JLT for under 130,000. The maid's room will be tiny but depending on the apartment it may be feasible and you and your flatmates could either break down the rent accordingly, or rotate bedrooms every few months. In exchange for the inconvenience of having one person in a maid's room you get the advantages of living in the heart of young western expatdom. All the 2 bed with maid's room will be listed under "2-bed" in Dubizzle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.