Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am a British citizen in need of urgent advice for my Canadian fiancée.

I met my fiancée online 2 years ago and have visited her once in April 2017 to meet her and her family. All went well but her parents have now decided against the wedding for reasons only known to them. My parents on the other hand are completely welcoming and are in full support of our union.

In short, things are getting messier by the day and I wish to bring her home to me in the UK as soon as possible. Is there a way I can do this without having to go through the lengthy application process? I was planning to begin my application in October this year but I really don't have much time now. Can I possibly apply for an extension whilst she is here on a tourist visa? Or is this an asylum case?

I realise this is a slightly complicated issue and I may need to contact an immigration advisor for it. Nonetheless, if anyone has any light to shed on this issue, please feel free to do so. It'll save me a heap load of money.

Greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Unfortunately not, otherwise everyone would be doing it. And you can't switch from a tourist visa, she'd have to leave the country and apply like you were already planning to do so. Certainly not an asylum case, I'm not even sure what she'd be seeking asylum from?

I don't know the details of what you're going through, but what's preventing you both from just applying as planned? She can't be held captive by her parents.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm no expert but you could get her over on a tourist visa - she can stay up to 6 months. She will need to provide financial evidence to support her stay for 6m or you can write a supporting letter to say you'll accommodate+financial support during her stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm no expert but you could get her over on a tourist visa - she can stay up to 6 months. She will need to provide financial evidence to support her stay for 6m or you can write a supporting letter to say you'll accommodate+financial support during her stay.

However, she'd have to return home after 6-months, which I think the OP is trying to avoid.

·
Registered
141 Posts
When I got married to my partner from abroad I was advised by my solicitor that the cheapest way to bring someone from abroad is the spouse route.

Fly to Canada > get married over there > apply for spouse with all supporting documents > 12 week waiting time

Expensive route - fiancé route
Get your partner over on fiancé route £900 approx (12w processing time ) > get married in the uk - civil ceremony > apply for spouse after marriage in the UK £1400 approx for 2.5yrs visa and then repeat the process again 2.5yrs another £1400. In total 5yr route.

Don't forget you'll need to provide supporting documents with both routes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys!

Do I need a supporting letter of any sort from her parents as part of the visa application? I guess I'll have to convince her parents to agree if this is needed.

·
Registered
7,374 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,185 Posts
She could try for a Youth Mobility Visa... she's young enough to be eligible for that.

Once she's got that, she can come back to the UK and you can get married and switch her status from YMS to a Spousal Visa.

Here is a discussion from last September regarding this sort of situation.

Reactions: rahimahmed

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hi all,

I am a British citizen in need of urgent advice for my Canadian fiancée.

I met my fiancée online 2 years ago and have visited her once in April 2017 to meet her and her family. All went well but her parents have now decided against the wedding for reasons only known to them. My parents on the other hand are completely welcoming and are in full support of our union.

In short, things are getting messier by the day and I wish to bring her home to me in the UK as soon as possible. Is there a way I can do this without having to go through the lengthy application process? I was planning to begin my application in October this year but I really don't have much time now. Can I possibly apply for an extension whilst she is here on a tourist visa? Or is this an asylum case?

I realise this is a slightly complicated issue and I may need to contact an immigration advisor for it. Nonetheless, if anyone has any light to shed on this issue, please feel free to do so. It'll save me a heap load of money.

Greatly appreciated.
Have you look into the Ancestry visa for her? She may qualifies for that -

https://www.gov.uk/ancestry-visa/overview

I don't think she is likely to get UK asylum because her parents are not allowing her to marry you. It is likely an asylum case if her parents force her to marry someone else against her will or there is evidence that they would commit an 'honnour killing' against your girlfriend.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have you look into the Ancestry visa for her? She may qualifies for that -

https://www.gov.uk/ancestry-visa/overview

I don't think she is likely to get UK asylum because her parents are not allowing her to marry you. It is likely an asylum case if her parents force her to marry someone else against her will or there is evidence that they would commit an 'honnour killing' against your girlfriend.
She can't apply for a UK Ancestry visa because she doesn't have grandparents from the UK. Applying for a spouse visa means flying over to Canada to get married - which isn't that cheap considering I'll have to take unpaid leave from work, pay for air tickets and accommodation etc. it all adds up!

I guess bringing her over on Asylum was a little far-fetched since the matter is not that tense and her parents certainly aren't going to harm her. They're just very adamant and extremely emotional. They don't answer my calls or reply to my messages so I can't get through to them. It's a very tough situation. Pray for us!

Conclusively, bringing her over on a fiancée visa is my best bet. I'm certain her parents will give in soon enough. They always do as long as you can keep up the fight.

Can anyone very quickly clarify the steps I need to take. I understand the application will be made online but the documents need to be sent to Sheffield visa office? At what stage does she go for her biometrics appointment? What happens at this appointment? Do I have to send both our passports to Sheffield?

Thanks for all the advice so far, guys.

·
Super Moderator
5,185 Posts
She can still qualify for a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Visa... it's like 1/3 the cost of a Fiancée Visa (not including IHS) and she can switch from that visa to Spouse once she gets here and you are married.

·
Super Moderator
5,185 Posts
No job required but she needs to show £2k in the bank.

·
Super Moderator
5,185 Posts
I'm not sure, but I wouldn't think so... given the transitory nature of the visa (i.e. the visa holder is only in the UK for 2 years), it would be difficult for proof of accomodation to be secured before arrival.

Hopefully someone here who is on a YMS visa (another name for the T5 Youth Mobility Scheme) can shed some light on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
There was no such 'accomodation requirement' for my YMS when I applied.
I did need to give the address that I'd be initially staying at, but I think this was more to do with picking up my BRP than ensuring I had somewhere 'suitable' to stay.

Good luck!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.