Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone could direct me to an updated forum post or a website link that has a comprehensive list of documents required for a UK spousal visa. I have found a few such postings on here and on the net but they are all about 3 to five years old. I am currently in the UK on a student visa (thanks to the assistance from this forum!!!!!). I am an American who married a British citizen (by birth) in 2013. We are planning to apply later this month or early June using the premium service. My wife and I rent a two bedroom house with both our names on the rental agreement and the council bill. My wife does not meet the financial requirement on her own but we do have 35,000 GBP in the bank and it has been there for 6+ months. I am waiting for her P60 (I think this is the form) but I have run the numbers and I think we will be fine on the financial aspect. Here are the documents that I have already...

Both of our passports
Marriage certificate from the UK
Both sets of birth certificates
3 letters confirming our genuine relationship (1 from my mom, 1 from her dad, and one from the best man at our wedding)
Council bill
renters paperwork
a letter from the program manager at my university stating I have been an a good student and complying with immigration rules.
Bank Statements
(I will have her P60)
her monthly pay slips from the NHS
About 10,000 pictures of our relationship + wedding

Is there anything else I may need?

thanks for all your help:)

-PapaK

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
You only need your passport and a plain copy of the bio pages from hers. You don't need birth certificates. The letters from friends/family are meaningless. You need the actual rental agreement. You don't need the letter from your program manager. You need a letter from her employer verifying dates/job title/salary/perm vs. temp.

I'm assuming you're joking about the photos, you need around 10 total.

You need a completed Appendix II.

I'm assuming you meet the financial for Cat. A, (salary shortfall x 2.5 + 16,000).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Salix,

Yes I was joking about the pictures, my wife is obsessed with them lol. I will bring one small photo album that is already made. Thanks for the Advice! Yes we are in Cat. A. Can I use her pretax income to calculate this? I have read the Home office guide to the financial requirement and I am sure it said that you can as long as you have the corresponding bank details. I will get her manager to write a letter a letter. One possible issue we may have is that she recently moved to a new position in the NHS. The pay slip will look the same and she is in the same pay band but I don't know if it counts as a new job or not. She has been working for the NHS for about 5 years total.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
You don't want an album, just photos attached to A4 with a notation underneath of what they represent (wedding, family Christmas, etc.).

Income is always based on pretax. The change in position is fine, just make sure it's notated in the letter. Since it's the same employer you should be alright.

You of course will need the completed application and the receipt for the new IHS charge.

·
Super Moderator
18,071 Posts
I was wondering if anyone could direct me to an updated forum post or a website link that has a comprehensive list of documents required for a UK spousal visa. I have found a few such postings on here and on the net but they are all about 3 to five years old. I am currently in the UK on a student visa (thanks to the assistance from this forum!!!!!). I am an American who married a British citizen (by birth) in 2013. We are planning to apply later this month or early June using the premium service. My wife and I rent a two bedroom house with both our names on the rental agreement and the council bill. My wife does not meet the financial requirement on her own but we do have 35,000 GBP in the bank and it has been there for 6+ months. I am waiting for her P60 (I think this is the form) but I have run the numbers and I think we will be fine on the financial aspect. Here are the documents that I have already...
There is no definitive list of documents because everyone's application is slightly different. The documents you include will depend on what financial category or categories you are relying on, how you are meeting the accommodation requirement and how you are meeting the relationship requirement. There are numerous document checklists on the forum that you can search for to get an idea.

Both of our passports
Marriage certificate from the UK
Fine

Both sets of birth certificates
Unnecessary.

3 letters confirming our genuine relationship (1 from my mom, 1 from her dad, and one from the best man at our wedding)
Unnecessary. They are subjective and won't be considered.

Council bill
renters paperwork
Since both of your names are on the tenancy agreement, that and a council tax bill are adequate for accommodation.

a letter from the program manager at my university stating I have been an a good student and complying with immigration rules.
Unnecessary.

Bank Statements
(I will have her P60)
her monthly pay slips from the NHS
So you are applying under Category A and D? You will need 6 months of pays slips, 6 bank statements showing the pay being deposited, a letter of employment and her contract and P60. That satisfies Category A. If she is short you will need savings of 2.5 times the shortfall from £18,600 PLUS £16,000. You will need 6 months of bank statements showing the amount of savings you are relying on. You'll need proof of how you came about that savings. If is was a gift, you'll need a letter from the giver saying it is a no string attached gift to do with what you want. You'll need the giver's bank statement showing the money leaving their account and your/her bank statement showing the money being deposited.

About 10,000 pictures of our relationship + wedding
10-15 photos including the wedding attached to sheets of A4 with brief descriptions.
You will need other relationship proof. If you've been married since 2013 I am going to assume that you've been living together so you'll need to show things like joint tenancy, joint bank accounts, utility bills in 1 or both names.

Is there anything else I may need?

thanks for all your help:)

-PapaK
As you are in the UK you'll need to fill out FLR (M)--not Appendix 2 which is for applicants from outside of the UK. If you are doing an in person appointment they are usually most focused on the financial requirement so make sure you have those documents in good order. You'll need to pay the NHS Surcharge of £500 before you book your appointment.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nyclon,

We got the money through a wise investment in scratch tickets :cool: 50,000 GBP in tax free dosh! I believe my wife still has the cleared check. We have only had our own place for about 2 months, before that we have lived with friends and family. As far as proving our relationship (other than pictures) we have joint bank accounts, the oldest for a year and a half. We have insurance accounts in both our names. We should have some joint bills i.e. gas and electric but I will double check with the wife as she handles the bills. That's all I can think of at the moment. Any other suggestions for proving our relationship?

Thanks!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.