Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well just took my biometrics yesterday...it wasnt to bad it was pretty much straight forward..i am going to send all of my stuff to sheffield sometime this week.. just making sure everything is perfect and in order..just a few more questions fedex would probley be the best way to ship my visa right? and was just wondering when you do get your visa and you arrive in the uk what kind of questions do they ask you??

but know all i have to do is wait for the news if i get approved or not :fingerscrossed:
im so nervous

·
Registered
23 Posts
well just took my biometrics yesterday...it wasnt to bad it was pretty much straight forward..i am going to send all of my stuff to sheffield sometime this week.. just making sure everything is perfect and in order..just a few more questions fedex would probley be the best way to ship my visa right? and was just wondering when you do get your visa and you arrive in the uk what kind of questions do they ask you??

but know all i have to do is wait for the news if i get approved or not :fingerscrossed:
im so nervous
I would open an account with fedex. Then you go in and fill out the waybill to and from...Include the one from them inside the box with your documents. I used the reusable box option, but I have no idea if that mattered to them.

My passport is on the way back as we speak, but generally when I have visited in the past you fill out a sheet where you will be staying, who you're staying with and their phone number.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thank you so much=) how exciting i bet you cant wait also how long has the whole visa process thing take you from the time you did your biometrics up to now

·
Registered
23 Posts
I filled out my Application October 17th, submitted my biometrics October 21st, sent my documents Oct 28th, Sheffield confirmed receipt and organization Oct 31st and I was told they had reached a decision today, November 5th.

·
Registered
924 Posts

im so nervous
I flew into Heathrow and just had to go through the Customs/Border checkpoints. They will look at your passport and might ask a few questions, then they stamp it to activate the visa. I carried my marriage certificate, copy of my husband's bio page from his passport and a few other documents, but they didn't even ask to see anything else.

The part I didn't like was that I had to go through about 3-4 separate biometric checkpoints which I thought was terrible over-kill. You wait in line, go up to a counter, hand them your passport and they take your photo and compare it to the biometrics on record, then you can proceed. I don't know why they think someone could possibly suddenly become someone else in the middle of a journey through a secure airport facility...???

Then there was the actual customs inspection area where they insisted on taking everything out of my 2 carry-ons, checking everything and swabbing my bags. I'm 58, and have zero record of any kind of trouble, yet I guess they thought I somehow looked suspicious. All of this made me late for my connection to Edinburgh and I had to take another flight.

Try not to be too nervous and travel as light as you can and it will be easier. Also, apparently the UK will only allow 1 ziplock bag with the small travel-size liquids. I had bought a "kit" with a heavy-duty plastic bag with a real zipper and they wouldn't allow it, along with another food-type ziplock bag with a few extra things. I had to consolidate it all into the ziplock bag and throw away what wouldn't fit. So, don't bring too much in your carryon!

Laurel

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I flew into Heathrow and just had to go through the Customs/Border checkpoints. They will look at your passport and might ask a few questions, then they stamp it to activate the visa. I carried my marriage certificate, copy of my husband's bio page from his passport and a few other documents, but they didn't even ask to see anything else.

The part I didn't like was that I had to go through about 3-4 separate biometric checkpoints which I thought was terrible over-kill. You wait in line, go up to a counter, hand them your passport and they take your photo and compare it to the biometrics on record, then you can proceed. I don't know why they think someone could possibly suddenly become someone else in the middle of a journey through a secure airport facility...???

Then there was the actual customs inspection area where they insisted on taking everything out of my 2 carry-ons, checking everything and swabbing my bags. I'm 58, and have zero record of any kind of trouble, yet I guess they thought I somehow looked suspicious. All of this made me late for my connection to Edinburgh and I had to take another flight.

Try not to be too nervous and travel as light as you can and it will be easier. Also, apparently the UK will only allow 1 ziplock bag with the small travel-size liquids. I had bought a "kit" with a heavy-duty plastic bag with a real zipper and they wouldn't allow it, along with another food-type ziplock bag with a few extra things. I had to consolidate it all into the ziplock bag and throw away what wouldn't fit. So, don't bring too much in your carryon!

Laurel

ok thank you so much i am super nervous about getting my visa but excited i have 2 suitecases i am bringing though and a carry on can i have a lot of liquids in my suitecase?

·
Registered
924 Posts
ok thank you so much i am super nervous about getting my visa but excited i have 2 suitecases i am bringing though and a carry on can i have a lot of liquids in my suitecase?
I don't think there is any limits on the checked baggage. I'd be careful with aerosol cans though. I put most of my stuff into gallon ziplock bags just in case anything leaked. I even brought a couple cans of pumpkin to make pumpkin chocolate chip cookies since I heard it isn't available here. :)

You'll be fine with that luggage. I brought 4 checked bags and my carry-on's. I hated paying the extra and all the hassle but it was stuff I needed. My packed boxes won't be shipped until sometime in the spring, once we can save up some money. My husband is still paying for the wedding, visa and my plane ticket. :rolleyes:

Where will you be living here?

Are you all set with understanding how to do the shipping and the return of your packet?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah i think i am set on it i am making a fedex account and then i print off 2 shipping lables right and provide a package for them to send back right?? how long did it take you to get your visa approved and i will be living down south near tidworth

·
Registered
924 Posts
yeah i think i am set on it i am making a fedex account and then i print off 2 shipping lables right and provide a package for them to send back right?? how long did it take you to get your visa approved and i will be living down south near tidworth
Once you open an online account, you will give them a debit or credit card for the charges. You will get an account number which is what you put on the waybills so any costs will be paid by your card. I picked up the blank waybills and envelopes at my local FedEx store. You complete one with you as the sender, and Sheffield as the receiver. On the second waybill, just reverse the same info, and check the box where the fees will be paid by the receiver (you). The second waybill can then be attached to the envelope which can be folded and included with your application packet. You could leave the weight blank until you go back to the store to ship it and they can weigh it for you and fill in the blank. The return package should weigh a little less as the ECO will remove documents that they need to keep.

Mine took 10 working days - it was received at Sheffield on August 27th and I received it from them on September 9th. Lately the processing times have gotten even quicker - some within 3-4 days!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Once you open an online account, you will give them a debit or credit card for the charges. You will get an account number which is what you put on the waybills so any costs will be paid by your card. I picked up the blank waybills and envelopes at my local FedEx store. You complete one with you as the sender, and Sheffield as the receiver. On the second waybill, just reverse the same info, and check the box where the fees will be paid by the receiver (you). The second waybill can then be attached to the envelope which can be folded and included with your application packet. You could leave the weight blank until you go back to the store to ship it and they can weigh it for you and fill in the blank. The return package should weigh a little less as the ECO will remove documents that they need to keep.

Mine took 10 working days - it was received at Sheffield on August 27th and I received it from them on September 9th. Lately the processing times have gotten even quicker - some within 3-4 days!
that is great and so i just go to the store and by a way bill which is a shipping label right and put my account on there right and incude a envelope with the same shipping label just with the return to my address and put my account number on it and they send it back how much did your shipping cost with fedex to send it? also that gives me more confidece i want it as soon as possible:fingerscrossed:

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
A single passenger with lots of luggage often gets stopped regardless of nationality, as they think there is a chance you are bringing in contrabands.

·
Registered
924 Posts
that is great and so i just go to the store and by a way bill which is a shipping label right and put my account on there right and incude a envelope with the same shipping label just with the return to my address and put my account number on it and they send it back how much did your shipping cost with fedex to send it? also that gives me more confidece i want it as soon as possible:fingerscrossed:
There isn't any charge for the shipping supplies. I had a very nice lady help me with mine. I just used the medium size plastic envelope. My outgoing package (2lb) cost just under $78 and I'm not sure what the return cost was, but the package was a pound less so would have cost less. You also keep the carbon copy off the waybills and use its number to track them online so you can see exactly when it arrives in Sheffield, and when to be home to accept the return. That really helps with the waiting anxiety. :)

You've got the process down. :) Good luck and keep us posted here.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There isn't any charge for the shipping supplies. I had a very nice lady help me with mine. I just used the medium size plastic envelope. My outgoing package (2lb) cost just under $78 and I'm not sure what the return cost was, but the package was a pound less so would have cost less. You also keep the carbon copy off the waybills and use its number to track them online so you can see exactly when it arrives in Sheffield, and when to be home to accept the return. That really helps with the waiting anxiety. :)

You've got the process down. :) Good luck and keep us posted here.
thank you so much, you have helped me a lot and thank you ..mine weighs a lot im going to see if i can make it weigh a little less.. my husband is in the army which should help out to .. and i will track mine everyday

·
Registered
924 Posts
thank you so much, you have helped me a lot and thank you ..mine weighs a lot im going to see if i can make it weigh a little less.. my husband is in the army which should help out to .. and i will track mine everyday
You're very welcome! This process is so confusing and overwhelming at first, but once you work through it step by step, and read a lot here, it will begin to make sense. You will have quite a sense of accomplishment when it is done. :)

Review your documents carefully and keep it as simple and direct as possible; your packet shouldn't weigh much over 2-3lbs max. Don't send anything that doesn't directly answer their 3 requirements, and send only enough to prove your case. They don't want every email or Skype log you've ever done, or 100 photos of you on vacation. ;)

Seriously, sending you lots of luck for success.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You're very welcome! This process is so confusing and overwhelming at first, but once you work through it step by step, and read a lot here, it will begin to make sense. You will have quite a sense of accomplishment when it is done. :)

Review your documents carefully and keep it as simple and direct as possible; your packet shouldn't weigh much over 2-3lbs max. Don't send anything that doesn't directly answer their 3 requirements, and send only enough to prove your case. They don't want every email or Skype log you've ever done, or 100 photos of you on vacation. ;)

Seriously, sending you lots of luck for success.
thank you so much and i will keep you updated .. my husband is in the army and that should help us out a lot

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You called it, I got my passport with visa inside today - I hope it goes well for you too!
that is awesome i am so happy for you best of luck i am sending my visa hopefully out just waiting for one more documentation to come in that my hubby sent me...
i am hoping him being in the military should help us dont you think??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.