Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since so many were kind enough to participate in the thread from yesterday on moving, I thought I'd give an update.

Just a quick background: We live an hour east of Portland, Oregon near the Columbia River. For several reasons, a big one being we gutted our 105-112 year old home for remodel, we moved what we needed to live to a two bedroom condo in Seattle.

A good friend offered us storage in a commercial unit half way between the two homes.

We will leave the condo in late July, and hope to have the farm house renovated and sold by Sept 1.

We have consulate visit June 4th in SF, and flights plus a six month let in Burgundy for Sept 1.

Talking with our mover/freight forwarder yesterday, we have concluded:
- We will box but not seal CDs, books, linens, scrapbooks, kitchen ware, photos, office stuff we can live six months without.
- We will create a spreadsheet with box #, Item name, number (if there are multiples) value and replacement value in Euros (for insurance only)
- Label each box on sides or end in Englais et Francais what's in the box and box #.
Take every thing we are shipping to consolidate in the storage unit(s) and take photos as we fill it for the freighters.
- unboxed items or one at a time items that are easily seen, will be tagged with stringed tag we can tie or tape to the item such as a lamp, and put on the spreadsheet. So we will have say 5 boxes numbered 1-5, then Item #6 (lamp), box # 7.
- We are taking photos of our household for the freight forwarder so they know about odd shaped or bulky items as well. We will also keep a copy in note books for us and customs.
- When we have a house in process we will set a date to ship; the freighter will send a container via truck to our storage. DH will be there to certify and aid the movers/packers with any information they need. Our stuff will go onto the container straight away with no trucking or repacking.
- Boxed items will be taped after their review of contents so they can validate customs.
- Non-boxed items will be self explanatory, and they can also certify their packing as they will be the packers.

The biggest difference is that we are packing as much of our small goods in advance, with out taping the box tops. The movers cannot certify our packing methods.

The best part is that the storage is set up next to the interstate to port of Seattle and has no turn around/backup access to the storage units. It's meant for big rigs.

We will take pictures of our household goods in place, but alot of our usable furniture, like office desks, book cases, cat tower, all breakdown. So we can really optimize the space. Chests, the piano, bikes (will be crated), are going to be the big room takers. No car. No big appliances. All being bought in France.

That's what we know so far. Thanks for listening, and if anyone has anything to add, jump right in. I know there is no one right answer. :fingerscrossed:

·
Administrator
49,121 Posts
Congratulations - it sounds like you really have things organized and ready to go. One tiny caution - plan on something going wrong somewhere along the line. No idea what. But with every international move I've done or heard tell about, there is some hiccup somewhere that you simply have to deal with.

Ultimately you have a good laugh about it - but not until well after you've resolved the problem.

Anyhow - it does sound like you're as well prepared as anyone could possible be. Keep us posted.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
5 Posts
Congratulations - it sounds like you really have things organized and ready to go. One tiny caution - plan on something going wrong somewhere along the line. No idea what. But with every international move I've done or heard tell about, there is some hiccup somewhere that you simply have to deal with.

Ultimately you have a good laugh about it - but not until well after you've resolved the problem.

Anyhow - it does sound like you're as well prepared as anyone could possible be. Keep us posted.
Cheers,
Bev
Yahhh...Your are right.....:eek:...I'm also agreed with you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.