Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I woke up in a cold sweat a short while ago when it occurred to me that my visa extension is coming up in a few months and our financial situation is so dramatically different this year that what I thought would be a breeze now has me in a bit of a panic.

Previously I was cleared for my spouse visa quite easily because my husband was employed for the same company for 30+ years and surpassed the financial requirement. Early this year, however, he lost that job and now my income is our sole income.

I have my own business here in the UK (sole trader) and I am registered with HMRC as self-employed. My gross income for both the last tax year (2016-2017) and the current year (2017-2018) exceed the £18600 pre-tax, but if I deduct all my allowable expenses they will be below that threshold.

My first question is: will HMRC care about my total income for the tax year, or will they only look at my income after deductions?

If they look at the total, I am in the clear and I can move on with much less stress. If they need the TAXABLE amount, however, then my question becomes: Can I just not take any deductions when I file in January, take the financial hit of paying a high tax bill, and then be able to show I paid taxes on the amount OVER the 18600? Obviously I'd prefer not to do that, but if the choices are 'pay through the nose' or 'have visa extension denied' I will take the hit.

·
Registered
39,104 Posts
(b) Where the self-employed person is a sole trader or is in a partnership or franchise agreement, the income will be the gross taxable profits from their share of the business in the relevant financial year(s), not including any deductible allowances, expenses or liabilities which may be applied to the gross taxable profits to establish the final tax liability.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...pendix_FM_1_7_Financial_Requirement_Final.pdf Page 61

So it's gross taxable income after deductions. Speak to your accountant about your proposal and show the rules, as the requirements for self-employment are complicated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I am certainly realising the mire I am in. I'll be looking up some accountants today for sure!

Perhaps you can provide some clarification on some points I am reading in the "Immigration Rules Appendix FM-SE: family members specified evidence"

If I am applying in the next couple of months then am I correct that the "last full financial year" is in reference to Apr 2016 - Apr 2017? During that time my sponsor was still employed.

On the other hand, though, they want all bank statements and such no older than 28 days so I am confused on that discrepancy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.