1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
An interesting art street in Funchal, Madeira. Been there for years and now about 200 buildings painted.

Maybe good for tourism but certainly wouldn't want to live with all that around.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Can I ask you why?
Not really my kind of Art. More like cartoons and colours are gaudy. Would hate to look through my window and see some of them everyday. I like views, trees, flowers.

As I said interesting but many in Funchal aren't particularly good. More like upmarket graffiti. I'll stick with the National gallery.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I like views, trees, flowers.

I'll stick with the National gallery.
I'm sure many people would prefer views, trees and flowers to seeing grey or beige buildings, I know I would too! But city life is what it is (a necessity for most).

I would much rather see the Funchal style of street art (or virtually any other style TBH) on my way to work / the shops / the gym, than plain grey boredom.

I don't think you can compare street art to the National Gallery art, people make a choice and an investment of time (or even a payment) to see gallery art specifically, whereas street art is there all the time, free of charge, a comment on life.

Is there any street art you would be comfortable with in your neighbourhood? Or are you against it in principle?

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
The question is "at what point does graffiti become street art?"
That is a huge debate which we will never settle here!

But, my view is that as soon as a mark, or graphic moves way from merely a form of identification of the author to contain a secondary value, or if the mark or graphic does not have the purpose of identifying the author, then it is, or can be construed as, art. Otherwise it is a "tag", most of which are ugly, intrusive and have no aesthetic or artistic value whatsoever...

Now watch someone post an image of a wonderfully beautiful tag to shoot my argument doemn in flames!! :rofl:

Contrary to some arguments, I do not believe that the legality (or not) of a work has anything to do with its classification of art or not. These are two seperate issues.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts

But, my view is that as soon as a mark, or graphic moves way from merely a form of identification of the author to contain a secondary value, or if the mark or graphic does not have the purpose of identifying the author, then it is, or can be construed as, art. Otherwise it is a "tag", most of which are ugly, intrusive and have no aesthetic or artistic value whatsoever...

Now watch someone post an image of a wonderfully beautiful tag to shoot my argument doemn in flames!! :rofl:

Contrary to some arguments, I do not believe that the legality (or not) of a work has anything to do with its classification of art or not. These are two seperate issues.
I must admit that I do find some of the cases where an existing feature such as a crack in a wall has been decorated in such a way as to turn it into a picture are quite inspiring in that somebody had the artistic skill to change what, to some people, would be an eyesore into something decorative and pleasing to the eye

·
Registered
2,608 Posts

:D

It's not wonderfully beautiful but it's not ugly either...

https://swh-826d.kxcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/graffiti_cuhp.jpg

Reactions: Overandout

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
In the area of Madrid where I live, someone has taken it upon themselves to paint the face of a tiger in a cartoon style in several locations. Usually they are quite large, up to 1.5m in diameter, but sometimes they are small and quite hidden. They are never on walls of residential buildings nor shop fronts or windows so they are quite unintrusive.

We walk right by one to gain access to our car park every morning, and it has become a custom for me and the kids to cheerfully say "morning tiger" as we walk past. And spotting a "new" previously unseen tiger is quite an event !!

Legally, they are no more than graffiti, artistically they are of questionable quality, but in terms of added value to our dreary hum-drum clockwork city existence they are like a breath of fresh air.

They are, in my view art.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
:D

It's not wonderfully beautiful but it's not ugly either...

https://swh-826d.kxcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/graffiti_cuhp.jpg
I did kind of bait the forum with this phrase!

In my view, what you posted does have the "secondary" propoerty to qualify it as art. It was not done quickly (with a single colour) as a tag with no creative input. Yes, it is a tag, but the presentation has far more to it than just the letters / words.

As you say, it is also not the most spectacular tag either. But it serves its purpose in this post.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
I'm sure many people would prefer views, trees and flowers to seeing grey or beige buildings, I know I would too! But city life is what it is (a necessity for most).

I would much rather see the Funchal style of street art (or virtually any other style TBH) on my way to work / the shops / the gym, than plain grey boredom.

I don't think you can compare street art to the National Gallery art, people make a choice and an investment of time (or even a payment) to see gallery art specifically, whereas street art is there all the time, free of charge, a comment on life.

Is there any street art you would be comfortable with in your neighbourhood? Or are you against it in principle?
One day I shall learn not to bite:rolleyes:

I said from my window...as at home. See some on train going in to London. I wasn't comparing, just saying which I prefer and the NG is free. Slap my hand but my opinion is not fond of it.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I must admit that I do find some of the cases where an existing feature such as a crack in a wall has been decorated in such a way as to turn it into a picture are quite inspiring in that somebody had the artistic skill to change what, to some people, would be an eyesore into something decorative and pleasing to the eye
"Enhance" and "transcend" are the words I'd like to use in a coherent post about upper crust street art but the local beer is getting the upper hand.

·
Registered
19,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
I can recommend the Castro de Santa Tecla overlooking the Atlantic and Portugal. There is also an interesting vía Crucis nearby and a site celebrating las brujas in their proper role as the wise women who had the knowledge and skills to act as healers before the church condemned them because their knowledge had not come from god or the church, therefore it must have come from the devil. Idiots!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts