Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm currently trying to work out if I should nominate myself for either the Developer Programmer, or Software Engineer occupation, since they can somewhat be used interchangeably I'm a little confused over which path to go down.

From the Immi.gov.au site, here are the descriptions :

Developer Programmer (261312)
Interprets specifications, technical designs and flow charts, builds, maintains and modifies the code for software applications, constructs technical specifications from a business functional model, and tests and writes technical documentation.

Software Engineer (261313)
Designs, develops, modifies, documents, tests, implements, installs and supports software applications and systems.

OK, so a little about my experience. I graduated with a Bsc (Hons) Computing and Information Systems in 2007, with a grade of 2.1. The course gave more attention to breadth rather than depth, so I did numerous programming languages, system analysis and design, and also some other areas like networking, database systems, and professional issues.

Since then I spent 3 years in my first job with the title of "Junior Developer" which involved a fair bit of Java development, mostly Spring MVC, J2EE and Oracle based technologies. Lots of greenfield development, 3rd line support / defect fixing, and customer support.

After that, my current job (2 years now) I've been a "Java Developer" creating axis2 based web services for a nationwide telecomms firm. I've been involved in the full SDLC from designs right through to testing and go-live implementation and onto support.

I've used a lot of different tools and frameworks, notably : J2EE, Spring, SpringMVC, StripesMVC, Velocity, JSP, Hibernate, JDBC, JUnit, Oracle DB (10/11g), Oracle Application Express, MySQL / SQL server. Also more recently a lot of Android mobile development both in and out of my day job.

I'm thinking that the Developer Programmer is slightly more in my domain, but they sound very similar.

Can anyone chip in some advice?

Thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi all,

I'm currently trying to work out if I should nominate myself for either the Developer Programmer, or Software Engineer occupation, since they can somewhat be used interchangeably I'm a little confused over which path to go down.

From the Immi.gov.au site, here are the descriptions :

Developer Programmer (261312)
Interprets specifications, technical designs and flow charts, builds, maintains and modifies the code for software applications, constructs technical specifications from a business functional model, and tests and writes technical documentation.

Software Engineer (261313)
Designs, develops, modifies, documents, tests, implements, installs and supports software applications and systems.

OK, so a little about my experience. I graduated with a Bsc (Hons) Computing and Information Systems in 2007, with a grade of 2.1. The course gave more attention to breadth rather than depth, so I did numerous programming languages, system analysis and design, and also some other areas like networking, database systems, and professional issues.

Since then I spent 3 years in my first job with the title of "Junior Developer" which involved a fair bit of Java development, mostly Spring MVC, J2EE and Oracle based technologies. Lots of greenfield development, 3rd line support / defect fixing, and customer support.

After that, my current job (2 years now) I've been a "Java Developer" creating axis2 based web services for a nationwide telecomms firm. I've been involved in the full SDLC from designs right through to testing and go-live implementation and onto support.

I've used a lot of different tools and frameworks, notably : J2EE, Spring, SpringMVC, StripesMVC, Velocity, JSP, Hibernate, JDBC, JUnit, Oracle DB (10/11g), Oracle Application Express, MySQL / SQL server. Also more recently a lot of Android mobile development both in and out of my day job.

I'm thinking that the Developer Programmer is slightly more in my domain, but they sound very similar.

Can anyone chip in some advice?

Thanks
You are right that these occupations look similar. I have 6.5+ years experience and I got myself assessed as 261313 software engineer two months ago.

If you read the detailed ANZSCO descriptions (beyond what you have mentioned), you will observe that Software Engineer implies a design and client interaction piece as well. Looking at your experience so far, I would suggest Software Engineer. One way or another, make sure your resume is pretty tight.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.