Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am new in town and finally got all my unpacking done.
Looking forward to a new life here in Cairo

Lynda xx

·
Registered
70 Posts
Congratulations, you must be travelling sensibly and light.

I'm new to cairo also and have just spent all day trying to sort out visas and paperwork so that customs can release our belongings shipped into Alexandria from Shanghai.

What a nightmare the visa office is!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hiya,

Thanks for the welcome, where does everyone live? I'm in Zamelek, really good place everything within walking distance.
Not sure if I need any help with things, got myself a lovely big flat, great view of the Nile and isn't it great the shop near by delivers!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GW, yep I came light, just gonna buy what I need here.
I don't know the visa office and I don't envy you

LJxx

·
Registered
607 Posts
Sounds like you are settling in nicely LyndaJane. You will find that most things can be delivered in Cairo! What sort of things do you like to eat, do etc? Do you want to take a language course or find private tuition?

·
Banned
20 Posts
Where are the best places to hang out? eat, learn arabic etc etc
hang out : theres more then place and i think its up to you what kind of places you wanna go ?!?

Local Cafes , Large Cafes , Discos , Nights Clubs ?
tell me to help you

learn arabic : i'm not advice you to take Course in arabic cause its Hard Language and you gonna lose alots of money and time too learn arabic from your friends better

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like all types of food, and I think I am just going to buy a phrase book and a few c.ds and learn on the run.
Just had all my shopping delivered and it's great
Do I have to tip for everything??? The hands are outstretched wherever I go

·
Registered
607 Posts
learn arabic : i'm not advice you to take Course in arabic cause its Hard Language and you gonna lose alots of money and time too learn arabic from your friends better[/QUOTE]

I have taken quite a few arabic courses and not only has it really helped me get by in Cairo (although many friends get by without speaking any/much arabic) but also it was a great chance to get to meet people when I first arrived. I didn't find the courses overpriced compared with how much I have paid to study arabic in England. Obviously it may also take time to build up a network of Egyptian friends as well.

·
Banned
20 Posts
I like all types of food, and I think I am just going to buy a phrase book and a few c.ds and learn on the run.

listen why i'm not advice you to buy or take Couse or something like that
cause Here in Egypt we talk in Modern Arabic " like American English "
where you going to learn Arabic 'll learn Old Arabic " like Britch English "

I think Books and CDs not helpful .....

to know the places or map over Cairo you can go to " On The Run Cafes "
in any Mobli GAs Station " theres books " hand trips or something like that

its all by 15 or 20 LE no more its helpful to know where to go and there some
phrase to know

·
Registered
607 Posts
You are expected to tip, especially as an expat or tourist. You will get a sense of what you should tip after you have been there a while. I use to get exasperated by it but I realised that Egyptians are also expected to tip!

·
Registered
607 Posts

I don't think LyndaJane wants a course anyway but many language schools teach Modern Standard Arabic and Egyptian Colloquial Arabic as I study both.

There is a good book shop in Zamalek on 26 July St called Diwan which does English books/language books. The American University of Cairo bookshop also has a great selection.

Foodwise I will suggest some places in Zamalek which are quite popular and not too expensive: many people like Maison Thomas which sells pizza, Didos which does pasta, Cilantro or Beanos do decent coffee and sandwiches and the Bakery at the Marriot is not too bad for a cappucino/pastries. I quite like Abu El Sid for Egyptian food. Metro is a Western supermarket chain and they have branches in Zamalek.

Hope that helps for now

·
Registered
70 Posts
Lynda. I'd recommend the "Rough Guide Phrasebook to Egyptian Arabic". It can be purchased from amazon or in the UK for £5 and you can also download basic scenarios on their web site. My wife's been using it for about 6 weeks now and is doing well and is able to make some phrases understood. At least, she is able to order a meal when we're out now. We used the same rough guides when we were learning mandarin along with a lesson once a week. Arabic seems a lot easier.

·
Banned
20 Posts

I don't think LyndaJane wants a course anyway but many language schools teach Modern Standard Arabic and Egyptian Colloquial Arabic as I study both.

There is a good book shop in Zamalek on 26 July St called Diwan which does English books/language books. The American University of Cairo bookshop also has a great selection.

Foodwise I will suggest some places in Zamalek which are quite popular and not too expensive: many people like Maison Thomas which sells pizza, Didos which does pasta, Cilantro or Beanos do decent coffee and sandwiches and the Bakery at the Marriot is not too bad for a cappucino/pastries. I quite like Abu El Sid for Egyptian food. Metro is a Western supermarket chain and they have branches in Zamalek.

Hope that helps for now
Beatle : good advices may you feel the one 1st time in egypt more then me
i'm never had this feeling .....

by the way you compared prices by your country as sure here in Egypt all Cheap but its too mush as Egyptians thats why i advice to learn that way i show

and all cafes you show its Large Cafes not local or Egyptian Style
and you still dont know EGyptians Minds :cool:

·
Registered
607 Posts
and all cafes you show its Large Cafes not local or Egyptian Style
and you still dont know EGyptians Minds :cool:
My Egyptian friends have introduced me to most of the places I refer to above! But I agree that they are not typical Egyptian cafes - I only tend to go to those with Egyptian friends. I am sure LyndaJane will get to try those once she has spent some time in Cairo

·
Banned
20 Posts
My Egyptian friends have introduced me to most of the places I refer to above! But I agree that they are not typical Egyptian cafes - I only tend to go to those with Egyptian friends. I am sure LyndaJane will get to try those once she has spent some time in Cairo[/QUOTE]

Great , anyway if anyone wanna know more or need any help i hope i can help thats all .....

by the way I'm Happy to know how foreign feel and thinking ... thanks Beatle :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts