Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to apply for an unmarried partnership visa at the end of October with my boyfriend who is a British citizen by birth. However, we are very worried that we don’t meet some of the requirements and would really appreciate any advice!

So we have been together for the past 3.5years in the*UK. I am from*Hong Kong*and am currently staying in the*UK*on my student visa which is to expire on the end of Oct. Therefore, I really wish I can apply within the*UK*as I have heard it is easier and faster to successfully get the visa.

The main issue is to satisfy the 2 year cohabitation rule. We have lived together between Sep 2010-Jun 2011, however we have little evidence from that time (only tenancy agreement). After that period we lived separately for a year but we were only 5minutes apart and ended up still seeing each other and staying over at one of our places everyday. This continued until August 2012, when we moved in together until*today. We have evidence (bank statements, bills, tax letters etc.) for this period of time as well as a tenancy agreement we both signed for the place that goes up until February next year, to hopefully show we intend to live together after the application.

I have read on the application that you can state why we did not live together for periods of time and we have a fairly good reason for this. However, would this look like we are not in a relationship akin to marriage?

Sorry for the long explanation. Please tell me if we are eligible to the cohabitation rule? I really wish to be able to stay in the*UK*afterwards!!

I also have a company who wants to hire me but cannot help me get the work visa in time, would this help in the application?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
They are very strict on two-year continuous cohabitation for unmarried partners. Your separation (even 5-min apart; you weren't living under the same roof) must be for good reasons (not convenience, cost etc). If it isn't convincing, you stand a good chance of being rejected. Getting married now solves this problem, provided you can show genuine relationship.
Your job offer is irrelevant to your application, as you must be meeting the financial requirement with your incomes now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the quick reply Joppa!!

Well the reason was due to timing issues. Basically he wasn't sure what uni he was going to be accepted into. And i had to find a place to stay so signed a tenancy agreement with other people. A lot later (couple weeks before my course started) he was accepted into the same uni and had to find a place asap. But because I signed the agreement I couldn't move with him and was already happy that he lived so close rather than another uni so it didn't matter.

I'd say the reason is more due to unfortunate circumstances but not sure if the UKBA will see it like this. Would you have any advice?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
I don't know myself. They would still have expected you to live together even at financial penalty, provided it wasn't catastrophic (like losing a year's rent paid upfront). I feel getting married now seems the better option.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your advice! Just not sure if we are ready to marry yet. But it has been an option for us.

Do you know if we apply and is unsuccessful because of this reason, would it be difficult to apply again later? Or even for other visas?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.