Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!
I just have a couple of questions about moving from Uk to France, let me explain you my situation first.
I am Italian and my boyfriend is Mexican, a year ago we got our EU family permit for unmarried partners, and we now live in Edinburgh. We have applied for UK residence card on March and still waiting for the results (it may take up to six months).
Now unfortunately (and fortunately) I have won an internship in France which complicates everything! I have tried to understand how it works in these cases but it's confusing and there is never a straight answer.
I just wanted to know if you guys know what we have to do; I have read in another forum that if the non-European person has a visa or permit issued by a European (or Schengen area) country then he/she should be free to move, however I have no idea if that's true.
Let's pretend he receives his UK Residence Permit, can this be useful if we want to move to France? (not as a tourist, but to legally live and work).
I hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!! ;)

·
Administrator
49,870 Posts
As far as I know, France does not acknowledge "de facto partnerships" so you may have to consider taking the plunge and either getting married or PACS'd if you want to have your boyfriend accompany you to France and share your EU rights. France may or may not recognize a British "civil union" but in any event you'd need some officialization of your relationship.

Not sure the precise requirements, but I believe your boyfriend would have to have been living in the EU for something like 5 years before his residence permit would transfer (or maybe it's that he'd have to have a 5 year residence permit). You may be able to check this out on either the website of the French consulate in London or on the europa.eu site.

Now assuming you were to get married or have a civil union, he would then be able to join you in France. Within the first 2 to 3 months after entering France, he'd need to apply for a carte de séjour (a residence permit) as the spouse/partner of an EU citizen at the local prefecture. This requires the usual round of i.d. documents, including proof of the official relationship, proof that the EU national has established a residence in France, and proof that both of you have the appropriate health coverage.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.