Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I would like some advice/guidance with regards to an unmarried partner visa.

I have been with my partners for ten years. I am a UK citizen, he is from Jamaica.

For the past five years I have been living in Jamaica but back and forth on a tourist visa. We have a tenancy agreement from 2011, in both of our names. I have internet/cable provider bills in my name and he has electric in his dating back from 2011. I was working from home for a UK company so was able to travel freely and work from anywhere.

I have just recently come back to the UK as I have got a new job. My earning for the last financial year is £19,063 (I just received my P60 from my old employer). My new job pays £26,500, I just started the job a couple of weeks ago.

I have also just moved into a one bedroom flat and have a tenancy agreement.
I would just like to know where I stand on the application and documentation needed or whether I should just get a solicitor to do it for me.

We would like to get married and thought of the fiancé visa but we would like to get married abroad and from what I understand, with the fiancé visa we will have to get married in the UK within six months.

Any help on the way forward appreciated,

·
Super Moderator
18,051 Posts
You can get married abroad and then he can apply for a spouse visa from Jamaica. There is no obligation to marry in the UK. This is by far your best option as going back and forth on a tourist visa is visiting, it's not living together.

The hardest part about applying for a visa is gathering the documentation and a solicitor can't do that for you. We've had many forum members receive inaccurate advice from solicitors and visa advisors so you have to be very careful. Ask your questions here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply.

So is it not possible to get an unmarried partner visa through time spent together on tourist visas as long is there is not too much time spent apart? I thought this was possible but correct me if I am wrong.

I know there is no obligation in general to marry in the UK but I thought if we wanted to do the fiancé visa route that we would have to marry in the UK within six months of him arriving. Is this not correct?

I have only just got back and got a new job and would like him over here with me and then plan marriage after that if possible.

·
Super Moderator
18,051 Posts
Yes, a fiancé visa requires you to marry in the UK within 6 months. If you didn't marry, he would have to leave before the visa expired. If you married someplace else, he would have to return to Jamaica after you married as he would no longer be a fiancé.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.

OK, may do the fiance on then as I am back in the UK.

So is it not possible to do the unmarried partner based on time together through time together on tourist visas as there has been minimal time apart which can be explained?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much for your help. You have made things a lot clearer for me now. We are going to apply for a fiance visa

·
Super Moderator
18,051 Posts
You need to meet the financial, accommodation and relationship requirements. There is no definitive list of documents. The financial category you apply under will determine what financial documents you need. Whether you rent or own will determine what accommodation documents you need. You need to prove your relationship with tickets or itineraries for visits and communication logs. You will also need to show proof that you intend to marry with receipts for deposits for normal wedding related things like rings, dress, venue, photographer etc.

There are numerous document checklists so do a search of the forum to get an idea and post your own when you are ready and we'll critique it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When doing a fiancé visa after marrying in the UK, would my husband have to leave the UK and go back to Jamaica to change from fiancé visa to married visa or can he do this from the UK?

·
Registered
171 Posts
No, he will have to switch to a spouse visa whilst in the UK. He should do this ASAP after the marriage takes place, and should avoid international travel until he has his new visa.

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
Take into account that you pay for a fiance visa and then pay for a spouse visa.

If you could get married in, say, Jamaica, it would be a lot cheaper than doing the fiance/spouse route.

·
Registered
39,065 Posts
£649 by post or £1049 by same-day premium service. Plus you have to pay £500 in health surcharge.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.