Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
My girlfriend and I live in Brussels and currently have a valid Cohabitation permit/visa in Belgium. She has acquired a position in London and we are trying to sort out our UK application for Unmarried Partners.
Since we already have a Cohabitation Permit in an E.U. country, will that simply things?
Is there a different form we should fill out other than the standard Unmarried Partner application?
We have been researching, but no luck, and really hoping to streamline this process.
Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im U.S., shes Romanian. But at this point with us already having a Belgian Cohabitation Visa/Permit, does nationality matter?
Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
18,071 Posts
Yes it could matter and it's helpful to give as many details as possible. You need to have lived together in a relationship akin to marriage with proof of joint responsibilities like joint tenancy bills and bank accounts for at least 2 years to be able to apply for an EEA Family Permit which is good for 6 months after which you would apply for an EEA2 permit as long as your partner is excercising treaty rights in the UK.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, and I do understand that, as we had to do all of the same processes for our Belgian Cohabitation Permit, which is exactly the same as an Unmarried Partner visa...
Essentially, Im just trying to discover if our Belgian paperwork/visa will make things faster and easier in the UK, and if there are different forms rather than the standard Unmarried Partner application.
Hope that makes sense, and again thank you for any advice

·
Super Moderator
18,071 Posts
You aren't applying for an unmarried partner visa. You're applying for an EEA Family permit as an unmarried partner. Your Belgian cohabitation permit doesn't have anything to do with applying for an EEA Family permit for the UK. Aside from already having some of the necessary supporting documents, it has no impact.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you! I had my hopes up, but atleast our Belgian permit will make the "proof" part of the process a bit easier :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thank you! I had my hopes up, but atleast our Belgian permit will make the "proof" part of the process a bit easier :)
If your permit say eea or eu family member you can go with your partner and you dont need other visa but you have questions at airport too so be prepare

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, but I would not think that would be enough to allow me to legally work in the UK. Or would I just need to go to the proper Immigration office and show those documents from Belgium in order to get the proper papers for the UK? Always love how confusing such things can be!

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I wanted to clarify this for anyone else that is researching and comes across this thread.

If one holds an Article 10 residence card that states "Residence Card of a Family Member of a Union Citizen" then they will be allowed into the UK without needing to apply for an EEA Family permit prior to arrival. As long as the other person is already residing legally in the UK, or are arriving in UK together. They will apply for their UK residence card once admitted into the UK, and will only need to show their Article 10 residence card along with proof (work contract where appropriate, and proof of relationship such as marriage certificate) of family member they are joining or arriving together. And to state again, Im not married, but had my relationship legally recognized in Belgium.
Here are the links that state so:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...as-the-holder-of-an-article-10-residence-card

UK Government to Recognise Family Member Residence Cards from April 2015 | EU Rights Clinic

I have talked to legal counsel and this is indeed now the legal facts for entry into the UK for people in a situation such as mine...

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Just to add that those who hold an equivalent document from Switzerland still needs EEA family permit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.