Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My YMS visa runs out in August and I have a few questions about applying for an unmarried partner visa.

My partner is a British citizen (I am a kiwi) we have been together for 3 and a half years. We did long distance for the first few months of our relationship while I travelled and she worked. I then got a job in France but returned to Spain (where she worked) most weekends. We got a lease together in Spain ( I continued to go back and forth to France) before moving to the UK on a YMS visa.

Upon our arrival in the UK we lived in a large house with one other person. We do not have a lease as it was a friend that owned the house. We both have various letters, bank statements, NHS letters, employment contract that were delivered to the house while we lived there. We paid money to the other tenant for all off the bills, I could show this in a bank statement.

Will the Spanish lease be evidence of living together? We have no other correspondence from there as bills were paid through the agency and she kept all her mail to her parents address during this time.

Will a letter from the owner of the house as well as our correspondence from the first UK house be enough for our first 9 months in the UK? Does he need to provide his title deeds or can we use a search of the registers to prove he owns the property? Is it worth getting him to sign an affidavit? If so what does the letter from the landlord need to state and can we get it now or does it have to be within 30 days of our visa appointment?

Since then we have had a lease in both names as well as lots or correspondence and we will be entering into a new lease on the same property shortly.

We also have lots of evidence such as pictures and wedding invitations and we are both very much a part of one another's family (she has been to NZ to meet my family). We also have a cat, I know not a requirement but it personalises the application a bit more.

She is a professional and earns double the financial requirement. Do we need to add my earnings to the application or can we base it solely on hers? It seems much simpler to do this.

With regards to the bank statement can you redact it to only show what is necessary or do they have to see it all? Is being in overdraft an issue? I would assume not if the required earnings are put into the account?

My final question is we are going to use the premium service, we would like to get a date as close to the expiry of my current visa as possible, do you know how far in advance you can book the appointments? Is it risky to wait until so close should we apply a few weeks or a month before?

Thanks

·
Registered
39,063 Posts
Cohabitation evidence as there is should be enough. Tenancy agreement is desirable but not a must, provided you have other pieces of evidence in support. Affidavits shouldn't be necessary but a letter from owner should be included.
Just disclose financial evidence sufficient to meet the requirement.
You have to submit complete bank statement, or they may suspect something is fishy. Overdraft and getting into the red is fine, as only income is taken into account.
Appointments open exactly 6 weeks in advance.

Just to reiterate I am only sharing my personal opinion and anything I say should not be taken as advice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great thanks Joppa, I appreciate that this is your opinion and we are going to get the application checked over in advance of our appointment.

Do you know if we need to provide proof that our friend owns the property or will a letter be enough?

Also if we are successful and decide to get married in the next few years do we need to a) apply for a fiancé visa? b) change the status of the visa to spouse or just wait for the ILR application and submit that as a spouse one?

This is a great site and the posts are really helpful!

·
Registered
39,063 Posts
Proof of ownership isn't essential but can be provided, such as Land Registry title certificate online for £3.
No need to change your visa or anything. You just provide evidence such as marriage certificate for your next application, such as renewal in 30 months. If you change your name upon marriage and get a new passport, you must get your BRP changed.

This is my opinion only and should not be construed as advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.