Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

Thank you ahead of time for any help you can give me.

My boyfriend and I have been living together in the UK (with proof of lease, joint bank statements, utility bills, council tax, etc.) since November 2016. I am a Canadian citizen and currently living in the UK on a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Visa from August 24, 2016 until August 24, 2018. We will be short about 3 months of the required 2 years living together for the Unmarried Partner Visa when I need to move back to Canada.

Our plan was for my boyfriend to move to Canada with me to live with my parents (with a tenancy agreement) until we have accumulated a full 2 years to apply for the unmarried partner visa to move back together into our flat in the UK (which we will still be renting when I leave, demonstrating that we have a permanent place to live once we return to the UK). However, I now have a concern about this.

- My boyfriend will only be on a visitor visa in Canada. Does this affect the legitimacy of him living there with me in terms of our visa application/the 2 year requirement?

If anyone can provide any assistance at all it would be greatly appreciated. We are also wondering if anyone knows of any solicitors located in or around London that they recommend. We've read horror stories of applications for this visa being rejected because of solicitor advice turning out to be incorrect which is now worrying us.

Thank you in advance!

·
Super Moderator
18,017 Posts
To qualify as unmarried partners, you must be living together on resident visas. Unfortunately, living together on a visitor visa will not count towards the 2 year residency requirement for an unmarried partner visa.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Get married ?.......

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.