Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I am a British citizen, my boyfriend is Egyptian, we have been together for 5 years in a long distance relationship, we are planning on applying for the non-married partner visa and would appreciate some advice. First of all, due to the fact that I have been studying here at university for almost 5 years and the fact that he has work in Egypt we haven’t been living together for 2 years. However, during a gap year that I took to Egypt we lived together for a year at his parent’s house, I am unsure to how we could prove this.. In addition we visit each other in both England and Egypt at least 4 times a year, We also have a lot of pictures, messages, emails and chat logs that go back the 5 years we have been together. Would this be enough to prove that this is a genuine relationship or is it essential to prove that we have lived together? Furthermore, I am not working at the moment as I am in full time study which is demanding and therefore do not have a work based salary, however I do receive money from both parents on a weekly basis which is equivalent to around 8,000 sterling a year. Does this count towards the money requirement.

In addition, my boyfriend has around 50,000 sterling in investment fund and takes interest on it. The investment fund is an offshore account, which is registered with the New Zealand government; the company has a registration number for this. Would a letter from this financial institution or an account statement be accepted or would the capital have to be liquidated and transferred to a savings account knowing that this would be very hard.

In addition, the 50,000 GBP in investment according to what I understood are not only considered as cash savings (Category D ) but also as I read in annex FM 1.7 , they are considered sources of non-employment income (interest or dividends gained from stocks/ funds/ shares/ investments)

So to summarize I want to know which of these sources of income I can combine together to meet the financial requirement (My family allowance, the Investment fund savings and the interest from the investment fund) and whether they would accept the financial institution that is registered with the New Zealand government or would I have to liquidate it to a bank savings account, and finally the evidence required to show that this is a genuine relationship.

sorry for the really long thread and i appreciate any help we can get! Thank you!!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Hey everyone, I am a British citizen, my boyfriend is Egyptian, we have been together for 5 years in a long distance relationship, we are planning on applying for the non-married partner visa and would appreciate some advice. First of all, due to the fact that I have been studying here at university for almost 5 years and the fact that he has work in Egypt we haven’t been living together for 2 years. However, during a gap year that I took to Egypt we lived together for a year at his parent’s house, I am unsure to how we could prove this.. In addition we visit each other in both England and Egypt at least 4 times a year, We also have a lot of pictures, messages, emails and chat logs that go back the 5 years we have been together. Would this be enough to prove that this is a genuine relationship or is it essential to prove that we have lived together?
No. One of the basic requirements of the visa is that you have lived together in a relationship akin to marriage for at least 2 years. This part is absolutely required, although minor things like a month apart or short a few days may be allowed. The fact that you aren't currently living together, and haven't been living together for at least 2 years means you run a near 100% chance of being refused a visa, I'm afraid. Best to look into other visas to apply for.

Furthermore, I am not working at the moment as I am in full time study which is demanding and therefore do not have a work based salary, however I do receive money from both parents on a weekly basis which is equivalent to around 8,000 sterling a year. Does this count towards the money requirement.
No. Money from your parents does not count unless it's been given to you as a lump sum and you keep it in savings. If you are spending it it doesn't count as income.

In addition, my boyfriend has around 50,000 sterling in investment fund and takes interest on it. The investment fund is an offshore account, which is registered with the New Zealand government; the company has a registration number for this. Would a letter from this financial institution or an account statement be accepted or would the capital have to be liquidated and transferred to a savings account knowing that this would be very hard.

In addition, the 50,000 GBP in investment according to what I understood are not only considered as cash savings (Category D ) but also as I read in annex FM 1.7 , they are considered sources of non-employment income (interest or dividends gained from stocks/ funds/ shares/ investments)

So to summarize I want to know which of these sources of income I can combine together to meet the financial requirement (My family allowance, the Investment fund savings and the interest from the investment fund) and whether they would accept the financial institution that is registered with the New Zealand government or would I have to liquidate it to a bank savings account, and finally the evidence required to show that this is a genuine relationship.
I'll let someone else chime in regarding the financial requirement as I haven't been keeping updated on the rules regarding investments. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

sorry for the really long thread and i appreciate any help we can get! Thank you!!

·
Super Moderator
18,088 Posts
You haven't lived together for 2 years which is a crucial requirement to qualify for an unmarried partner visa. Even if you did you would need £62,500 in a readily accessible account for 6 months. You allowance doesn't count. Visits to each other don't count. You have to be able to prove joint responsibilities like a lease and bills. Unfortunately you don't qualify.

Edited to add: a letter from the investment company is not sufficient. The fund would have to be liquidated and the funds would have to be transferred to a savings type account before application.

·
Registered
39,149 Posts
Interest from investment counts as non-employment income, and investment sold before application counts as savings, But you can't have both from the same investment because to count the interest income, you must still own the investment at the time of application, and not to have sold to turn into savings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interest from investment counts as non-employment income, and investment sold before application counts as savings, But you can't have both from the same investment because to count the interest income, you must still own the investment at the time of application, and not to have sold to turn into savings.
so how long before the application can the fund be liquidated ? can it be a month or less or it has to stay for a certain period. and what other options do we have other than the unmarried partner visa ?

·
Registered
39,149 Posts
It can literally be the day before, though you should allow a little more time to get correct paperwork from the investment provider.
Spouse visa upon marriage?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You haven't lived together for 2 years which is a crucial requirement to qualify for an unmarried partner visa. Even if you did you would need £62,500 in a readily accessible account for 6 months. You allowance doesn't count. Visits to each other don't count. You have to be able to prove joint responsibilities like a lease and bills. Unfortunately you don't qualify.

Edited to add: a letter from the investment company is not sufficient. The fund would have to be liquidated and the funds would have to be transferred to a savings type account before application.
reading through the genuine relationship document Annex FM 2.1 (i couldn't post its link because I am a new member or something), they say that one of the conditions is to be living or to have lived together and that it is one of the factors not the main one in deciding whether its a genuine relationship or not. And then we lived a year together and 4 years visiting each other a total of another year if all of the visits were combined. And also i read that if there was a compelling reason for not living together they might accept it which is my study and the fact that he can not come to the UK, so is that possible ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It can literally be the day before, though you should allow a little more time to get correct paperwork from the investment provider.
Spouse visa upon marriage?
we are intending to get married anyway but we thought of doing it a year or so after he comes to the UK, but if we thought of the spouse visa will he have to first get a fiance visa and then we get married in England and then he goes back to Egypt and applies for a spouse visa or can he apply from England after marriage?

·
Registered
39,149 Posts
He can get a fiancé visa, get married in UK and then switch to leave to remain as spouse.
I'm afraid the two-year cohabitation is unnegotiable for unmarried partner visa. Without it your application will fail. FM 2.1 discusses the wider aspects of relationship (including married), not specifically about unmarried partners.

This effectively sums up your situation:

"Where an applicant meets all the other requirements of the rules but does not meet the definition of “partner” at GEN.1.2 because they are unmarried or not in a civil partnership and have not been living together in a relationship akin to a marriage or civil partnership for at least 2 years, the following refusal paragraphs should be used:
“You have applied for entry clearance/leave to remain (delete as appropriate) on the basis of your relationship with X. The requirements for entry clearance/leave to remain (delete as appropriate) as a partner are set out in section EC-P /R-LTRP (delete as appropriate) of Appendix FM to the Immigration Rules. However, for the purposes of that section a “partner” is defined in paragraph GEN.1.2. of Appendix FM as the applicant‟s spouse, civil partner, fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner, or a person who has been living together with the applicant in a relationship akin to a marriage or civil partnership for at least two years prior to the date of application."
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/s...dlaw/IDIs/chp8-annex/partners.pdf?view=Binary

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.