Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I found this forum and I wanted to ask for some help/advice regarding the FLR (unmarried partner visa).

The Story
- We met in January of 2012 in France
- Were together for 5 months but lived in separate flats
- Moved to our respective countries in June 2012 to finish our final years of study
- Broke up due to distance in August of 2012 but kept in touch (odd exchange of emails etc), she eventually started seeing someone else
- I moved to the UK in Oct 2013, she broke up and we got back together around Nov/Dec 2013
- Moved in together in February 2014
- Moved out in August of 2014 due to her family coming back to live with her
- We are still together however my YMS visa expires in Sept 2015

The Facts
- We will have been together in one city for 22 months upon my visa expiry
- We will only have 6 months of cohabition in one flat, with only bank letters address proof
- Marriage is not an option

My questions:
1) What are the chances of success should I file an application in September upon my expiry
2) Can I wait until November and file an application there even if we will have been apart for 2 months by that time
3)What proof will I need in all of these scenarios?
4) Are there any changes that you may know of for 2015

Many thanks for all of your help in advance.

Best,
Alex

·
Registered
39,148 Posts
In short, your chance in either Sep or Nov is very slim. Basically you haven't lived together continuously for 2 years, with solid evidence like joint tenancy agreement, utility bills and other official communications.
Change for 2015? There is general election on Thursday and nobody knows what a new government may do. Continuing to tighten rules is much more likely whoever is in power is my guess.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doesn't sound very promising, but thanks for the reply.

I also want to clarify that my gf owns the flat and her father is the landlord. When I lived with her I lived rent free and did not need to sign any agreements as she just let me move in.

Currently, although I live in a different address I have essentially been spending all of time at hers. I spend about 5% of my time at my flat.

Would that make a difference?

·
Registered
39,148 Posts
Hardly. You still only have lived together (under the same roof, sleeping every night) in a relationship akin to marriage for less than a year. This is the killer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fair enough. I can move in with her now again if required and that would give me roughly 18-19 months of living under one roof even though the address proof would be a bit less than a year as you say.

Clutching at straws here but would that be worth a shot? This is basically the only chance I have at staying as getting sponsored through my work is proving tremendously hard. Would they take into consideration all of the history as well and unique circumstances of moving in and out? As well as her father's agreement to let me stay if I come?

Additionally, I was wondering if I leave for a few weeks and come back to the UK as a visitor for 2-3 months and live with her, will that count as cohabition?

Thanks again for all the help!

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I also want to clarify that my gf owns the flat and her father is the landlord.

Why would the father be the landlord is she owns the flat? If she owns it she would be the landlord. If he is the landlord, he owns it.

Currently, although I live in a different address I have essentially been spending all of time at hers. I spend about 5% of my time at my flat.

Would that make a difference?

No, of course not.

Fair enough. I can move in with her now again if required and that would give me roughly 18-19 months of living under one roof even though the address proof would be a bit less than a year as you say.

Clutching at straws here but would that be worth a shot?

That wouldn't be two years would it? Since two years is the minimum you would not meet the minimum. The old saying 'close but no cigar' would be appropriate. If you want to apply then you need to meet the minimum requirements, which you wouldn't even under that scenario.

Would they take into consideration all of the history as well and unique circumstances of moving in and out?
No.

As well as her father's agreement to let me stay if I come?

No.

All of the scenarios you are providing are fantasies. Why would they let you in under those circumstances? You need to stop clutching at straws and take appropriate, and verifiable, steps to improve your chances - starting with meeting the minimum requirements!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
No. Time on a visitor visa does not count. And 18-19 months won't cut it. We've seen people a month shy of two years not get the visa. You absolutely must be living together in a relationship akin to marriage - provable with joint tenancy agreements, bills, and all the other attendant documentation - to qualify for the unmarried partner visa.

Have you considered marriage?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.