Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

My boyfriend and I are looking into moving to the UK and are just starting to investigate our options. I've gone through the UK gov site and this forum, and think the unmarried partner visa is a potential option for us. My main concern however, is around evidence of cohabitation. A little background:

My boyfriend (Kiwi and British) and I (American) are both expats in Tanzania at the moment. He has been here for 5 years and myself for 4. We've been together about 3.5 years and living together for 2.5. I am employed by a US-based INGO and he runs his own businesses. Due to my employment terms, my housing is leased and paid for by my company. Because of this, my boyfriends' name is not on the lease agreement (mine is not even on the lease for all of the years I've been here, but rather my company). In addition, all utilities are in the name of the landlord. Finally, because the mail system in Tanzania is non-existent for residential properties, we have no letters addressed to us at our home. My mail comes to me through my US office and his comes through his office PO box. We've lived in two locations together over the course of the 2.5 years and have had roommates in both.

While we have been living together for the required amount of time, because of the context where we live, we don't have any official documents to prove our cohabitation. I'm wondering if other documents could potentially suffice? Some thoughts on what we could get would be:
- letter from my employer confirming our cohabitation in company-leased property
- letter from his company's lawyer stating our house as his official personal residence
- letters from current and previous roommates who flatted with us together
- letters from visitors, friends, neighbors, confirming our cohabitation
- letters from our parents confirming our living situation
- we could get Tanzanian drivers' licenses with the same address, but this would not show any length of time

I'm wondering if there are others who have advice or recommendations for other sorts of "official" documentation. I imagine there must be others who are coming from a similar situation!

Many thanks

·
Super Moderator
17,988 Posts
You are in a tough situation if you want to apply as unmarried partners. There really isn't a lot of wiggly room on this one. None of what you have suggested is going to be adequate. Letters from friends, family, roommates and neighbours are subjective and won't be considered.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Nyclon. How about something official and/or certified from my employer and/or his lawyer?

I could also potentially get a certified letter from our two landlords. Do you think that would suffice?

·
Super Moderator
17,988 Posts
No. There really isn't any leeway in providing evidence as unmarried partners. You need 6 solid pieces of evidence each spread out fairly evenly over the past 2 years proving that you've lived in a relationship akin to marriage with shared responsibilities. Have you considered marriage?

·
Registered
23 Posts
From unmarried to married

I was in the same situation. I think marrying is the best option if it's truly a real relationship. See below:

My (then) unmarried partner applied as a Tier 4 student and I applied at the same time as his dependant. We were naive and only submitted an affidavit o same sex partnership prepared by a notary. He got his entry clearance and my application was refused. We then converted our partnership into marriage, and now I'm applying again. He has his entry clearance, but he's not in the UK yet. We plan to go in the end of December, together, ifthe processing time of my fresh application allow. I'm submitting:
1) Marriage certificate
2) The affidavit of partnership (just to show the relationship was in force a long time before the marriage certificate was issued)
3) Letter from ex-landlords confirming he was the tenant and that I lived there with him from 2015 to July 2017;
4) Hospital registration (mine) showing the same address as the letter above, from 2015;
5) Receipts from the bank proving he paid the annual tax of one if our cars (car under my name). The receipts are from 2015, 2016 and 2017 and they show the dates, my name, his name, the car details and the amount paid. Not the address though;
6) Official financial sponsorship letter for him. It covers all of his tuition fees and maintenance, as well as maintenance for his dependant, but it does not state my name. It's dated november 2017 and has our current address;
7) Bank statement if his savings, showing the required amount for my maintenance held for 28 consecutive days (from 6 Nov to 4 December);
8) Landline phone bills under my name, dated August and November 2017, sent to our current address;
9) Credit card correspondence under his name showing our current address, dated Aug, Sep and Oct 2017;
10) A letter from him confirming that part of the money from the financial sponsorship is for my maintenance. In the letter, he also confirms that the money in the statement is in addition to the sponsorship funds and that it's also for my maintenance;
11) My cover letter, addressing the previous refusal and explaining how we misunderstood the rules and therefore decided to wait for our already planned conversion to marriage before I apply again with the marriage certificate along with all the evidence above.

Questions:

A) Do you think we should add anything else?
B) Do you think we should take any of the above out?
C) In his previous applixation, he also supplied the letter of spinsorship and the bank statement. The letter itself was enough for his maintenance and for mine. But it does not bear my name on it. Is it ok to supply the same evidence in my fresh application again (sponsorship letter and bank statement)? Won-t they think we're trying to count the same money twice although the total amount is enough for both of us?

Any word will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Since you now have a marriage certificate, you do still need to provide evidence of a genuine relationship, but probably not as stringently with cohabitation evidence as for an unmarried partner.

The financial sponsorship letter is probably not helpful. It sounds like what you have is sufficient to prove you've been together a significant amount of time and that you have a genuine relationship in person and living together. Especially as you've been refused before, I'd leave in all of the evidence you have listed, except maybe the financial sponsorship letter.

Won-t they think we're trying to count the same money twice although the total amount is enough for both of us?
It depends on how you're meeting the financial requirement. If the above evidence is just evidence of your relationship (not being directly used for the financial requirement) then it should be clear

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.