Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I also heard recently that a passenger on a flight out of Cebu City had a small pocket knife in his checked in luggage and it was discovered on x-ray and he had it confiscated. (Flight was pandemic and I just heard of it in a general discussion.)
For about 10 years or so I kept in my billfold a small credit card sized fold up knife. Went thru inspections going into & out of Aus, US, Korea, Japan, & Philippines multiple times each way. Was confiscated last fall going on a domestic flight from Manila to Iloilo. Still carry a small fold up knife attached to my key ring, which has also been on my person (and thru all the same inspections) for many years.

Fred

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
.... Still carry a small fold up knife attached to my key ring, which has also been on my person (and thru all the same inspections) for many years.

Fred
When I ran my own business I had some of those as giveaways with the company name on it, only cost me a couple bucks each when buying in bulk.

I lost several at airports in Canada and the US. Often went on a dozen flights, then suddenly no not allowed. Next time allowed at the same airport.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I read it differently and posted in blue to your quote. "All" to me means "everyone" including homeowners. Notice and/or in section 2.

You mentioned your permit is for 5 years. Are you a non-commercial orchard or fruit tree farmer?

Since this topic drifted into "Tree Cutting". This is a good article.
https://businessmirror.com.ph/2019/10/14/planning-to-cut-down-a-tree-think-again/

For Region 1 where I live, we are supposed to follow this if we want to "cut' a tree, even if it's on titled, private land.

https://r1.denr.gov.ph/index.php/69-frontline-services/forest-management/349-tree-cutting-permit

Something to ponder is that WILCON bought Titled Land in our area and broke ground June 2020. https://www.facebook.com/bauanglaunionofficial/photos/pcb.10157102268798204/10157102268623204/?type=3&theater The gossip is they can't proceed with construction because they have no permit to cut down the Acacia Trees (own land they own).

From Section 68 of PD 705 - Any person who shall cut, gather, collect, or remove timber or other forest products from any forest land, or timber from alienable and disposable public lands, or from private lands, without any authority under a license agreement, lease, license or permit, shall be guilty of qualified theft
https://lawphil.net/statutes/presdecs/pd1975/pd_705_1975.html

Regarding; "any person" (private land owner) would be guilty of theft if they cut down a tree on their private land unless it's under a license agreement, lease, license or permit. Who would they be stealing from? :confused:
Yes, I am a Non-Commercial tree grower but not fruit trees...I have about 15 cashew trees and just started planting some macadamia trees just for personal use, experimenting, messing around with something to do types of trees and to be safe we went and had our chainsaws registered with DENR and they did it for 5 years. They have never given us any hassles.

About the conversations about having small knives...it's crazy...we cannot carry a small knife in our pocket but we can walk around carrying an 18 inch or 22 inch bolo knife to use as a work tool. But maybe as was mentioned above...if we call it a knife...can't possess it...but call it a tool and it's OK!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Yes but you should know many barangay captains have an over inflated opinion of their worth.
When push comes to shove it is our word against the theirs but to date all good. When the fit hits the shan I am sure the/all Barngay Capitans will deny any knowledge of their mis givings. Better as seen here to go down the hierarchal road nip the problems in the butt. Boring but that's the nature of the beast here.

Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well Joe as always making us aware of the pitfalls of living here, ty.
We had a contractor remove a huge acacia tree as well as some smaller ones last year and we did the deal through our Barangay Capitan. I sent a chainsaw in a Balakbayan box earlier this year and have been using it to cut down all large prickle trees on our titled lot as well as our tax declared block down to the ocean of some 800M2. The Capitan is aware as we asked his permission and no one has said anything about the chainsaw and if it is registered.
Looks like another stint with bureaucracy for Ben. Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers, Steve.
Captain has nothing to do with it ,, and if you get in trouble he may not help ...
You need to go visit a "CENRO" (div of the DENR) .. No big deal with them, just don't tell them "What you have already done" !! Just inquire there and you can get all the info and required permits ,, Mostly inexpensive Php 500 for a chainsaw,, Then inquire about Salvage Permits for your property, and clearing permits (Biggy) !!
My experience was this: I bought a chainsaw at an american suplus seller at a huge discount. Needed parts to make it run, so I went on E-bay and got another same model chainsaw listed as "not running for parts". It was promptly confiscated by the BOC as a "Restricted" item, until I could supply the correct permit/registration. I got it sorted and found out all the other info ,, Not so inconvienient more of a delay, and other items were in the shipment !!

Regads ,, Scott E

·
Registered
143 Posts
The intension of the law is GOO because illegal loggiing is a huge problem in the Philippines.
FOR CLARIFICATION...
I went back over the entire Act and re-read every word of it and it is actually pretty clear. No, it does not ever specifically mention private homeowners because they ARE NOT involved in commercial activities or illegal logging.
Not SPECIALY mensioned, but aren't private homeowners INCLUDED in the rules?
Because any chainsaw can become involved in illegal logging :)
So I GUESS all chainsaws have to be registered,

- -
Concerning permit. As said it has to be from SENRO (DENR) not from baranggay captain. The common ones cost just litle for a big logging too.

A farmer got a few trees at their farmland cut down to get space for a new home. They got INVESTIGATED and handler thought of giving them a few thousand pesos fine (which is much for them). But I don't know how it ended by we lost contact.

·
Registered
644 Posts
The intension of the law is GOO because illegal loggiing is a huge problem in the Philippines.

Not SPECIALY mensioned, but aren't private homeowners INCLUDED in the rules?
Because any chainsaw can become involved in illegal logging :)
So I GUESS all chainsaws have to be registered,

Which is why I had mine registered just to be safe so they at least know I have chainsaws and then it is not an issue. And as I mentioned before, now they call on me for assistance when there is a bad storm or something and they have trees down on the roads...they are always asking if I want to come and help them out...and I usually do go help because it never hurts to have a friendly contact in any of the local area government offices...

I can show up with my truck and two chainsaws and clear a tree in no time and then load a lot of the wood into my truck and give it to my neighbors! It makes you become friends with everyone real quick...(1)-you cleared the road and got transportation moving...(2)-you assisted the local Municipality and Barangay...and (3)- you helped your neighbors with free wood!

A WIN-WIN situation...

·
Registered
143 Posts
>Cebu Citizen
That's a good idea I can want to copy, but not to close as Filipinos do it :)

but with the difference paying a regular employee to do the body work :) My knees have done more sports than they could handle, so I can't do body work anymore myself anyway.

But if I get time after own business is up and running, I plan to assist poor people with some not body work by some Help-to-self-help projects. The such projects aid organisation Hand-in-Hand told me they want me to call them when I'm in place in Phils ready to start handling such projects for them, and perhaps I will do such volotary work for a similar American organisation too. If I get work permit for it... :)

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
>Cebu Citizen
That's a good idea I can want to copy, but not to close as Filipinos do it :)

but with the difference paying a regular employee to do the body work :) My knees have done more sports than they could handle, so I can't do body work anymore myself anyway.

But if I get time after own business is up and running, I plan to assist poor people with some not body work by some Help-to-self-help projects. The such projects aid organisation Hand-in-Hand told me they want me to call them when I'm in place in Phils ready to start handling such projects for them, and perhaps I will do such volotary work for a similar American organisation too. If I get work permit for it... :)
What part of PH. are you heading to Lunkan to achieve your goals?

Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts

! It makes you become friends with everyone real quick...(1)-you cleared the road and got transportation moving...(2)-you assisted the local Municipality and Barangay...and (3)- you helped your neighbors with free wood!

A WIN-WIN situation...

(4) You got to play with your chainsaw.

·
Registered
143 Posts
What part of PH. are you heading to Lunkan to achieve your goals?
I had several favorites earlier - but NOT Palawan by it's locate some "off". Bigest favorite was NE Bohol. BUT then I saw a map showing locations of earthquakes and all my earlier favorites fell :)
It don't help to build strong if the house fall into a pothole as they got e g at Bohol by an earthquake. Plan is to build living place and business for generations ahead, so it's extra important to try to avoid nature break it.

Among the main islands Palawan is the only one without earthquakes. Few hurricanes too. So I have changed my mind to sure Palawan. And sure AWAY from the tourist parts :) Partly depening of it's more developing there and I want to be away from neighbours plus land cost much less if avoiding tourists's favorites and Puerto Princesa city. And I can get extra cheap by I like inland more than beach :)
A disadvantage though with Palawan it's so long and narrow so there are long distances.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts