Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have previously applied to VETASSESS for "University Tutor" occupation and I got positive assessment. All the work experience I included in my first application was overseas work experience letters.

Currently I am doing PhD in Australia (in my 3rd year). I am doing research as well as tutoring at the University both in the same field (Pharmacy). My total working hours are 40 hours/week and I receive a monthly salary.

I applied for VETASSESS to add the Australian experience I am getting at uni to my first application for the same nominated occupation "University Tutor". After waiting for 15 weeks for assessment, they asked me to indicate how many tutoring hours do I perform/week. The guy I spoke to mentioned that the research component included in my letter will not count towards "University Tutor" but rather towards "University Lecturer".

The thing is:
The overseas work experience letters I included in my first application had research component plus tutoring component and they were assessed positively towards my nominated occupation "University Tutor". They didn't ask me about the absolute tutoring hours for those but rather I included the total number of hours I was working and things were absolutely fine with them.

My issue is (in my "new" application to add the "new" Australian experience letter ) VETASSESS asked me to indicate how many tutoring hours do I perform/week. The thing is my absolute tutoring hours are 10 hours/week and the rest is research.

My questions:
(1) Why they asked me this time about the absolute tutoring hours while they didn't ask about it in my first application. Although the overseas and Australia experience letter are the same in terms of content (research + tutoring tasks).

(2) If I indicate that the absolute tutoring hours are 10 hours/week, would I still be able to get positive assessment?

I appreciate your prompt response and advice.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have previously applied to VETASSESS for "University Tutor" occupation and I got positive assessment. All the work experience I included in my first application was overseas work experience letters.

Currently I am doing PhD in Australia (in my 3rd year). I am doing research as well as tutoring at the University both in the same field (Pharmacy). My total working hours are 40 hours/week and I receive a monthly salary.

I applied for VETASSESS to add the Australian experience I am getting at uni to my first application for the same nominated occupation "University Tutor". After waiting for 15 weeks for assessment, they asked me to indicate how many tutoring hours do I perform/week. The guy I spoke to mentioned that the research component included in my letter will not count towards "University Tutor" but rather towards "University Lecturer".

The thing is:
The overseas work experience letters I included in my first application had research component plus tutoring component and they were assessed positively towards my nominated occupation "University Tutor". They didn't ask me about the absolute tutoring hours for those but rather I included the total number of hours I was working and things were absolutely fine with them.

My issue is (in my "new" application to add the "new" Australian experience letter ) VETASSESS asked me to indicate how many tutoring hours do I perform/week. The thing is my absolute tutoring hours are 10 hours/week and the rest is research.

My questions:
(1) Why they asked me this time about the absolute tutoring hours while they didn't ask about it in my first application. Although the overseas and Australia experience letter are the same in terms of content (research + tutoring tasks).

(2) If I indicate that the absolute tutoring hours are 10 hours/week, would I still be able to get positive assessment?

I appreciate your prompt response and advice.
Yes, in my opinion, that's how it is. Your 40 hours/week is typical of a full-time PhD student that does tutoring + research for a monthly salary or stipend. Obviously, 40 hours is not what you spent on tutoring because this amount includes your research hours (which obviously do not involve any tutoring or teaching time).

No point to ask about Question (1), because that was when you were offshore. Now, you are onshore and doing your PhD, so it is not a fair comparison at all.

For Question (2), you would still get a positive assessment based on your previous/offshore experience. However, you are not likely to "add" any more years to your employment history as "university tutor" because 10 hours/week is not sufficient.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts