Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have applied for NSW SS visa. Application recd by the NSW team on Sep 30. It looks like there are not many university lecturer applicants here on the forum. But still lets start our little chat corner to learn from each other and share our experiences.

Thanks

Gandhara

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi Gandhara,

I applied as "Software Engineer" although I'm a lecturer/researcher. Why: "University Lecturer" is not on the SOL and I had the possibility to get my research project work assessed towards software engineering. I currently work part-time at UTS (University of Technology Sydney) as casual academic. At the moment, getting full-time lecturing positions is pretty hard due to budget cuts etc.

If you have any questions, just let me know.

Cheerio,
Monika

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Gandhara,

I applied as "Software Engineer" although I'm a lecturer/researcher. Why: "University Lecturer" is not on the SOL and I had the possibility to get my research project work assessed towards software engineering. I currently work part-time at UTS (University of Technology Sydney) as casual academic. At the moment, getting full-time lecturing positions is pretty hard due to budget cuts etc.

Cheerio,
Monika
Thanks Monika for your response. You are right, the market is not good for lecturers. Lets see how things go in the future if(?) or when I get the PR.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you need your skills assessed through Vatassess, in case you're offered a Lecturer job at a University?
Hi,

Not sure about the situation where you get a lecturer job but yes, VETASSESS is the place to go if you are applying under the University Lecturer occupation. Atleast I got my exp+qual positively assessed from VETASSESS.

Regards,

Amer

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi Gandhara,

Cheerio,
Monika
Hi Monika,

I was surprised to see your post, we are sailing for the same boat as the profile matched exactly (University + teaching). Me too assessed as Software Engineer, but sponsored by SA. I would like to discuss further and get some assistance, but could not send a PM to you. Can you send me a PM so that we can take it from there.

Cheers
Bharani

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi Bharani,

I deactivated PMs on purpose; I just couldn't keep up with them and 1:1 replies are fairly ineffective in my opinion. Usually - if you mask personal data - things can be discussed in the forum. I'm sure that the others would be interested in your questions as well ;).

Cheers,
Monika

·
Registered
293 Posts
I am also a university lecturer with 5.5 years experience.
I got positive assessment from vetassess and also got invitation from nsw.
I lodged my visa on 25 sept.
Collecting documents to upload.
I know i have to do odd jobs and my final aim is to get register myself as pharmacist in australia as i am from pharmacy field.
One of my known offered a job of manager at his petrol station.
I will do in starting along with preparation for pharmacy exam.

Reactions: rkpharma

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi Bharani,

I deactivated PMs on purpose; I just couldn't keep up with them and 1:1 replies are fairly ineffective in my opinion. Usually - if you mask personal data - things can be discussed in the forum. I'm sure that the others would be interested in your questions as well ;).

Cheers,
Monika
Monika,

Thats ok. I wanted to get some assistance in terms of Aus CV, which is most important. If you could share with me or show me some light it will great. In addition to Ph.D do we need to do any training or certification for getting into AU Universities/colleges. Appreciate your help...:)

Bharani

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Sylvia_australia
I had 3 year ECE lecturer exp in Btech Collage after completed my ECE Btech. my IELTS is 6 each.
Pls let me know is there any chance to get Uni Lecturer state nomination for NSW.
I think you belongs to rajpura as I belongs to kharar and I want your services in this regard. mail ID [email protected]

H Longia

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi everyone,

This is really important and I need big help here, as this point may blow my dreams away ...

University Lecturer is group A which states:
Group A Occupations require a qualification which is at least at the level of an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Bachelor degree, in a field highly relevant to the nominated occupation. In addition to this, the applicant must have at least one year of post-qualification employment in a field which is highly relevant and at an appropriate skill level to your nominated occupation completed in the five years before the date of application for a Skills Assessment.

I have Bachelor in Civil engineering and PhD,and my work experience is University Lecturer, so this is ok for the one year employment condition ,,, but what about the qualification in highly relevant field,,, does this mean Bachelor in Education or what....

If anyone here knows anything about this .. please HELP :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi everyone,

This is really important and I need big help here, as this point may blow my dreams away ...

University Lecturer is group A which states:
Group A Occupations require a qualification which is at least at the level of an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Bachelor degree, in a field highly relevant to the nominated occupation. In addition to this, the applicant must have at least one year of post-qualification employment in a field which is highly relevant and at an appropriate skill level to your nominated occupation completed in the five years before the date of application for a Skills Assessment.

I have Bachelor in Civil engineering and PhD,and my work experience is University Lecturer, so this is ok for the one year employment condition ,,, but what about the qualification in highly relevant field,,, does this mean Bachelor in Education or what....

If anyone here knows anything about this .. please HELP :)
Your BSc (Eng) should count as highly relevant qualification. I am assuming that you are teaching in areas related to your Engineering degree. VETASSESS accepted my BSc and MSc qualifications from Pakistan, both not in Education but in my relevant subject field. So I think you should be ok.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Your BSc (Eng) should count as highly relevant qualification. I am assuming that you are teaching in areas related to your Engineering degree. VETASSESS accepted my BSc and MSc qualifications from Pakistan, both not in Education but in my relevant subject field. So I think you should be ok.

Thanks Gandhara, that's great :)

It is easier for my to get documents to support my PhD degree and one year employment after it ,, do u think I can only mention my PhD (without mentioning my BSc) to Vetassess , to get it assessed as the required qualification ..

I have experience after the BSc as Lecturer at my university , but it is extremely hard to get enough documents to support BSc and employment after it,so I don't want to mention my BSc and just put PhD and one year .. would that be OK

I will not claim points for work experience ,, only points for PhD

·
Registered
748 Posts
Monika,

Thats ok. I wanted to get some assistance in terms of Aus CV, which is most important. If you could share with me or show me some light it will great. In addition to Ph.D do we need to do any training or certification for getting into AU Universities/colleges. Appreciate your help...:)

Bharani
Hi,

I will be getting my PhD next month and I know couple of my colleagues who finished their PhDs recently. Additionally, I've been a sessional academic staff member at Queensland University of Technology for a while now.

I don't know much about other fields. My field is Networking and Telecommunications. From my experience I believe that having a PhD will not ensure that you will get a job as a lecturer. Nor would any certification. What gets you into AU universities are Grants, Strong research potential showed via excellent publication record and student supervision and also good connections with leaders in your field.

You should perhaps consider securing a post doctoral fellowship and then build your profile and then apply for a lecturer post. But believe me, that is also difficult for researchers in some areas.

Like all other fields, academic job market is also suffering these days. Good luck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Gandhara, that's great :)

It is easier for my to get documents to support my PhD degree and one year employment after it ,, do u think I can only mention my PhD (without mentioning my BSc) to Vetassess , to get it assessed as the required qualification ..

I have experience after the BSc as Lecturer at my university , but it is extremely hard to get enough documents to support BSc and employment after it,so I don't want to mention my BSc and just put PhD and one year .. would that be OK

I will not claim points for work experience ,, only points for PhD

The answer to your question depends on your points. If your post PhD experience (or no experience) gives you enough points to make it through, then you can skip assessment of your pre-PhD qualifications. But, as in my case, if your pre-PhD experience makes a big difference in terms of earning points (i.e. adding years of experience), then I guess there is no choice but to get your pre-PhD qualifications assessed as well. But then COs may not rely completely on the experience mentioned in the VETASSESS letter. I also got 'points advisory' confirming all my experience post Pakistani MSc, as suggested by other forum members here as well, so that my claimed points get a third party confirmation in some way. Please note this is just an opinion not fact as I am also an applicant going through the loops. But I have obtained positive VETASSESS assessment and points advisory and NSW invitation.

Good luck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The answer to your question depends on your points. If your post PhD experience (or no experience) gives you enough points to make it through, then you can skip assessment of your pre-PhD qualifications. But, as in my case, if your pre-PhD experience makes a big difference in terms of earning points (i.e. adding years of experience), then I guess there is no choice but to get your pre-PhD qualifications assessed as well. But then COs may not rely completely on the experience mentioned in the VETASSESS letter. I also got 'points advisory' confirming all my experience post Pakistani MSc, as suggested by other forum members here as well, so that my claimed points get a third party confirmation in some way. Please note this is just an opinion not fact as I am also an applicant going through the loops. But I have obtained positive VETASSESS assessment and points advisory and NSW invitation.

Good luck.

Thanks again Ghandara :)
Hope u will get the grant soon ... best of luck

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi,

I will be getting my PhD next month and I know couple of my colleagues who finished their PhDs recently. Additionally, I've been a sessional academic staff member at Queensland University of Technology for a while now.

I don't know much about other fields. My field is Networking and Telecommunications. From my experience I believe that having a PhD will not ensure that you will get a job as a lecturer. Nor would any certification. What gets you into AU universities are Grants, Strong research potential showed via excellent publication record and student supervision and also good connections with leaders in your field.

You should perhaps consider securing a post doctoral fellowship and then build your profile and then apply for a lecturer post. But believe me, that is also difficult for researchers in some areas.

Like all other fields, academic job market is also suffering these days. Good luck.

I guess it depends on your field. I have got the first job I have applied for as a full time, continuing Lecturer. My field is nursing and I also have been teaching during my doctoral years.
Good luck.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I guess it depends on your field. I have got the first job I have applied for as a full time, continuing Lecturer. My field is nursing and I also have been teaching during my doctoral years.
Good luck.
Yes, I agree that it depends on your field. I am a business scholar and alarmingly I have not come across any post-doc position in business areas on seek.com but continue to see a stream of positions in medicine and IT.

Anyway, it seems that there is a long wait for the likes of me with the quota issue for the 190s and being from an HR country!

Cheers,

G

·
Registered
748 Posts
Good luck.
I completely agree with you. It depends on your field. For an example, areas like medical research, nursing have plenty of funding and job oppertunties it seems. Congratulations on your job.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts