Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear community,

I have a PhD in Computer Science and 5 years of Post-PhD teaching and research experience as a temporary and permanent Faculty in different Universities.

Recently the skill "University Lecturer (ANZSCO 242111)" is added to the MLTSSL (Mid-term and Long-term strategic list). This perfectly matches with my experience.

However, when the skill "university lecturer" was not in the list, I have seen that people from Computer Science having teaching and research experience usually tried to get assessed by ACS as "Software Engineer" or "software programmer".

Which option, seems better?
Second, It seems that I'll earn 65 points. Does pro-rata or some kind of ceiling apply for the skill "University Lecturer (ANZSCO 242111)" ?

Thanks in advance,
Humayoun

·
Registered
100 Posts
Dear community,

I have a PhD in Computer Science and 5 years of Post-PhD teaching and research experience as a temporary and permanent Faculty in different Universities.

Recently the skill "University Lecturer (ANZSCO 242111)" is added to the MLTSSL (Mid-term and Long-term strategic list). This perfectly matches with my experience.

However, when the skill "university lecturer" was not in the list, I have seen that people from Computer Science having teaching and research experience usually tried to get assessed by ACS as "Software Engineer" or "software programmer".

Which option, seems better?
Second, It seems that I'll earn 65 points. Does pro-rata or some kind of ceiling apply for the skill "University Lecturer (ANZSCO 242111)" ?

Thanks in advance,
Humayoun
Hi,

If I understanding is correct, even Uni lecturer now in MLTSSL, you only can apply for 457 or 186. You cant apply for 189. So it is better you go ahead with Software Engineer.

Good luck,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

If I understanding is correct, even Uni lecturer now in MLTSSL, you only can apply for 457 or 186. You cant apply for 189. So it is better you go ahead with Software Engineer.

Good luck,
Hi,
Thanks for the response.
On July 2017, the 23 occupations including "university Lecturer" were moved from the STSOL to the MTLSSL. See: Summary of 1 July 2017 changes to the lists of eligible skilled occupations (can't post link here as my post count is less than 5).

According to my understanding, if a skill/profession is in MTLSSL then one can apply for 189. Is not so?

Please see the text taken from "Lists of eligible skilled occupations" (can get the link if the quoted term is googled)

If you are applying for any of the below:

Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) – Points-tested stream
Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489) - Family nominated
Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) – Graduate Work Stream.
you will need to nominate an occupation from the MLTSSL of the relevant legislative instrument

Regards,
Humayoun

1 - 3 of 3 Posts