Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I've been loitering here for some time now so thought it about time I got involved!

My family and I are planning to make the move to Brisbane (favoured choice at least at this stage) in about 18 months. We will be applying for a permanent Visa with my better half the main applicant.

I am looking in to the possiblity of teaching at University (I fancy a change!) and wondered if anyone here could give me any advice. I currently run a design agency and have years of experience in design and various related skills.. I just wondered what the general job requirements are for oz universities; ie: do I require a teaching course or will my Degree and experience be sufficient.

Also, does anyone have a rough idea of the salary that I can expect. I intend on contacting some uni's in the near future to ask the relevent questions but thought it cant hurt to see what I can find out here!

·
Banned
934 Posts
Hi all,
I've been loitering here for some time now so thought it about time I got involved!

My family and I are planning to make the move to Brisbane (favoured choice at least at this stage) in about 18 months. We will be applying for a permanent Visa with my better half the main applicant.

I am looking in to the possiblity of teaching at University (I fancy a change!) and wondered if anyone here could give me any advice. I currently run a design agency and have years of experience in design and various related skills.. I just wondered what the general job requirements are for oz universities; ie: do I require a teaching course or will my Degree and experience be sufficient.

Also, does anyone have a rough idea of the salary that I can expect. I intend on contacting some uni's in the near future to ask the relevent questions but thought it cant hurt to see what I can find out here!
Do you have any universeity lecturing experience? Do you have a degree minimum? If you don't have any of these attributes well then you're absolutely kidding yourself. Sorry to be blunt but that's how it is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you have any universeity lecturing experience? Do you have a degree minimum? If you don't have any of these attributes well then you're absolutely kidding yourself. Sorry to be blunt but that's how it is.
No problem, I'm just putting out feelers atm. ;)

I have a degree from a UK university but no lecturing experience. I have numerous friends in the UK who have recently taken up uni jobs (also in design courses). None have had lecturing experience but maybe it works differently in Oz..

·
Banned
934 Posts
oops, just realised I added the last post using my wifes account..
In most cases in Australia you're likely to downgrade your career by coming here. Simply we don't have the diverse working options like the UK has. It's something you need to factor in when coming here.

If your friends are getting work experience well see if you can do the same and give yourself the best possible chance for when yo ucome to Australia.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In most cases in Australia you're likely to downgrade your career by coming here. Simply we don't have the diverse working options like the UK has. It's something you need to factor in when coming here.

If your friends are getting work experience well see if you can do the same and give yourself the best possible chance for when yo ucome to Australia.
The friends I mentioned in the original post are employed as university lecturers (not work experience) having had no previous teaching experience, just their degree and real world experience in their chosen field.

I am quite prepared to downgrade my career which is why I'm looking into university teaching. Its all about the lifestyle change for us, not necessarily the salary. We are looking for a better work/leisure balance which I can't get at the moment with my current career.

·
Banned
934 Posts
The friends I mentioned in the original post are employed as university lecturers (not work experience) having had no previous teaching experience, just their degree and real world experience in their chosen field.

I am quite prepared to downgrade my career which is why I'm looking into university teaching. Its all about the lifestyle change for us, not necessarily the salary. We are looking for a better work/leisure balance which I can't get at the moment with my current career.
Australia agressively searches for top lecturer's worldwide.

Also if you don't have a degree you will be ineligable to lecture at university.

Australia is all about qualifications if you don't have these well you'll get nowhere here. be prepared for that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also if you don't have a degree you will be ineligable to lecture at university.

Australia is all about qualifications if you don't have these well you'll get nowhere here. be prepared for that.
Pls take the time to read posts. :confused2:

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi gointooz,

I think your best bet would be to contact Uni's and see what advice they give.

Australia does like its bits of paper but you have your degree so that's good.

Did your friends take up lecturing jobs in Oz? If so did they have the same qualifications as you?

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi gointooz,

I think your best bet would be to contact Uni's and see what advice they give.

Australia does like its bits of paper but you have your degree so that's good.

Did your friends take up lecturing jobs in Oz? If so did they have the same qualifications as you?

Regards,
Karen
Hi Karen,

I'll definately get in touch with some uni's for an informal chat and see what the options are. I'm really only keeping my options open at the moment so could end up doing something completely different quite happliy. I have just recently thought about teaching as the 2 friends I mentioned seem to love it. They are in the UK so not a great guage for a similar career in Oz but it can't hurt to ask a few questions, if nothing else but to eliminate it from my mind as a career path once there.

We are mainly going for a more outdoor lifestyle (like a lot of people I guess) having had enough of the endless winters here and the kids stuck in front of the tv.

I'm sure I'll find something suitable at some point (fingers crossed!). My wife's a nurse so she will be our main Visa applicant all going well. It's a big move but you only get one shot at it...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts